“Changed Hands can't make TEA!!!!”

Brighton Museum and Art Gallery
Full Day Tour to Brighton From Oxford
Ranked #8 of 171 things to do in Brighton
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Brighton Museum cafe visit 10 March 2013

My son & I have visited the Brighton Museum cafe in the past. Thinking this would be a good place to go on Mothers Day before our meal at Stanmer Park in the evening, we ordered tea and cakes for two. The staff took the order and we waited and waited about 30 minutes before the tea arrived, the teapot was a heavy kettle shape with tea leaves contained above the warm water in a strainer, try as we might we cold not get enough water to produce any colour to the liquid! I complained and was served with another kettle with more tea leaves and told to leave it to infuse for two minutes, I did, then tried to get the leaves at the bottom of the strainer to at lease brew a bit, the result was awful barely two small cups of lukewarm bonfire flavoured liquid - yuck! The menu seemed to have changed as well with increased prices a BLT at £9 seems excessive. We hoped this disappointment would not continue for the rest of the day, I paid and we left. Fortunately a short time later we had a decent pot of tea. Our meal at Stanmer Park was also preceded by a lovely large pot of tea, two good cups each, nice and hot and strong, followed by a really good meal served by pleasant efficient staff, what a difference from our morning experience!

We have since found out that Peyton & Byrne now run the Museum cafe, the previous staff were made redundant. I feel extremely sorry for the previous staff and we hope the library cafe doesn't go the same way.

Please note: Tea needs to be made with really hot water and if using tea leaves they need to be in the water able to move about not in a strainer suspended above the water!!!!

Needless to say the Museum cafe if off our list of places to eat and drink.

2  Thank K123B

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Lots to look at from so many genres which should interest young and old alike. The porcelain and glass as you go in is very well displayed. The parts about Brighton's history equally good.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I took trip to Brighton in order to visit this exhibition. I spent my youth attending Holland Park School and as a result spent many a lunch time and afternoon in the Biba boutiques. I have very fond memories of my time in the Biba Boutiques and of the clothes I bought and wore. When I saw that this exhibition of Barbara Hulaniki's work was on in Brighton I simply had to go. I looked at booking tickets in advance but found that it was cheaper to become a member which gave you free entry to a number of exhibitions and attraction, including the Brighton Pavilion next door.

The main part of the museum is free and well worth a visit. The displays are varied in content and provide a good background to life in Brighton through the ages. Payment is only required for special exhibitions not the main exhibits.

My partner and I thouroughly enjoyed our visit.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Brighton Museum & Art Gallery is a small museum with some permanent collections and a main attraction exhibition which rotates (small fee usually applies).

I particularly enjoyed the Egyptian collection which included some surprisingly rare and unusual items for outside of a major museum.

This is a good attraction for children due to being relatively small with lots of interactive attractions to help maintain interest.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Free (donation) entry. Gives a snapshot of the history of Brighton. Central location, so a must drop in if you are in Brighton.

Backpack friendly :-)
Most museums/galleries in the UK do allow people with full backpacks to enter. But shame to those that do not. The British Library is the only place that I have found so far that has problems with backpacks. So name and shame the bad ones I say.