“Courtyard Disaster”
Review of The Courtyard - CLOSED

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Being in the heart of Brighton’s Cultural Quarter,In the centre of Brighton, just along from the Theatre Royal You can expect a warm friendly greeting at The Courtyard in a beautiful indoor courtyard setting, along with some fabulous locally sourced fresh MODERN BRITISH food. The restaurant is a ideal spot for a delicious home cooked meal as all ingredients are bought fresh daily and cooked to order. Open monday - friday 10.00am - late Saturday and sunday 9.30am - late.Breakfast Lunch Pre-Theatre set menu and Supper See our Video to take a peek inside.
Littlehampton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Courtyard Disaster”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I took my friend and my parents to the Courtyard for their birthday and Christmas presents prior to a show at the Theatre Royal. When we arrived at the restuarant there were no other customers other than us. We orderd our drinks and my mother ordered one of the Specials, the spicy Moroccan casserole, my father, the sausage and mash with green beans, my friend a steak burger and I ordered the signature crispy pork dish. So far so good. However, then the food arrived. The spicy Morrocan casserole was entirely spiceless, the sausage and mash should have been accompanied by green beans, it wasn''t, my friend was not asked how she wanted her steak in the burger and it was completely red raw in the middle and my pork crackling was not at all crispy. We did complain about the burger and this was taken away as my friend could not eat it and we were given a refund. When we mentioned that the casserole was not spicy, the waitress went and asked the chef and she came back and told us that the chef had said that Moroccan food was not particularly spicy!! My father didn't mention to the waitress that he was missing his green beans, although he should have done, and although my crackling wasn't crispy, the pork itself was nice.
We then ordered a second round of drinks - that didn't arrive at all.
For sweet we ordered the cheeseboard and biscuits, a warm chocolate brownie with hot chocolate sauce and two treacle tarts with ginger creme fresche. The brownie was just warm and the sauce, what there was of it, was warm not hot. The two treacle tarts came with clotted cream and not ginger creme fresche and when we mentioned this we were told "oh we haven't got any creme fresche". The cheeseboard would have been excellent if it had come with the biscuits.
We were told "there's a different chef on tonight" and when I said to the waiter who eventually brought the biscuits to go with cheeseboard that the service and food had been very disappointing he said "you're telling me".
Only another half a dozen people came into the restaurant so it is not as if the two members of staff front of house were busy.
I chose this restaurant due to it's own write up and close location to the Theatre Royal. However this is not a restaurant that we will be gracing our presence with again.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Barbara B
TheCourtyard20, Owner at The Courtyard, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
I have checked the facts of your review and my staff’s version is very different. You were asked many times if everything was ok with your meal and your response was “its lovely”. We would have happily replaced the burger and any other issues you have now raised but you preferred a refund. The cheeseboard had so much cheese that there was not enough room for the biscuits and your waiter went immediate to get them. The chef is not new so the waiting staff would not have said this. The quoted reference to the response you recieved after you “supposedly” complained is also a fabrication as your waiter that evening is extremely experienced and competent.
I trust my staff’s version.

Brighton UK
“what a shame!”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We were welcomed by a lovely waitress who was very helpful. We moved tables because the fake tree prevented a good conversation. The place was buzzing! The menu was quite short, so was expecting excellent food. I ordered fish chips homemade tartare sauce and mushy peas. I thought you couldnt go wrong with that. How wrong I was! the chips were blackish and limp and the homemade tartare sauce was thin and watery. My friend said her veg bake was very dry. I have read the previous reviews so can only presume the evening we went was an "off evening".

1 Thank mitchellbrightonuk
TheCourtyard20, Manager at The Courtyard, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Hello,
We would be interested to know more about your experience and would like to discuss it with you. Please feel free to give us a call or email to discuss.
Respectfully, The Courtyard.
Hove, England, United Kingdom
“nice food”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

we had a 2 course set menu for £9.95 consisting of starter ,cream of mushroom soup and steak and chunky chips with salad .
The food was very good but the service was very slow considering there was only 10 customers and the waiter was spent most of his time talking to a table of 4 .
took 15 mins to get served . The tables were very sticky .

• Visited January 2013
TheCourtyard20, Owner at The Courtyard, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Hello,
We are pleased to see you enjoyed your meal and thought it good value. However, we are very disappointed to hear that you were unhappy with the service you were given.
I have taken the matter up with the staff, and they offer their apologies for the delay.
Kind regards,
London, United Kingdom
“Great choice.”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I've been there this afternoon with my boyfriend to celebrate my birthday. After a nice walk through Brighton, we decided to pop in. The place was totally empty so we could choose a table for two near a fake tree. Our waiter, very caring and helpfull, showed us the specials board and gave us all the time we needed to decide what to eat. I had mackerel pate to start, followed by fillet of salmon with roast potatoes and a side of garlic mushrooms. My boyfriend a starter of marinated mussels and a ryb eye steak as main. The starters, both of them, were as big as a main dish. The food was perfectly cooked, the plates were warm and well shown. I asked for the Wi-Fi and they gave me the pwd written on their business card.
After a good espresso and a black strong coffee we've asked for the bill: £47 (2 starters, 2 main, sides, 1 prosecco, 2 coffee) and no service charge!
We've been very gladly to tip our waitress!
Excellent overall experience, good food, lovely place.

• Visited January 2013
TheCourtyard20, Manager at The Courtyard, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Hello and thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. We are so happy you enjoyed your meal and belated Happy Birthday wishes from all of us at The Courtyard. Hopefully you will come back next time you are in Brighton; we are offering a delicious Valentine’s Day Menu for £24.95pp perhaps a weekend trip down to Brighton in Feb....
Please have a look at our Valentine’s Menu on our website. Thanks again for the lovely review.
With very best regards,
The Management.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“First class food and first class service”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I visited the restaurant with my son for my lunchtime birthday treat. We were fortunate to be able to sit outside. The waitresses were very attentive without being intrusive. Nothing was too much trouble. The food was the best we have eaten in a very long time! My son had lobster and chorizo salad with chips. I had fish and chips, both to die for! The chips were homemade and piping hot. The fish, very fresh and lovely crispy batter. Given that my son lives in London and is more qualified to critique food/service, he rated The Courtyard as outstanding. I couldn't agree more. I can't wait to go back. Thank you Courtyard, you made my birthday very special!

• Visited October 2012
TheCourtyard20, Owner at The Courtyard, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Hello and many thanks for such a kind review. We are so happy you enjoyed your meal and especially your birthday at The Courtyard. We hope to see you both again soon and please don’t forget we do have a very reasonable pre-theatre menu if ever you are visiting the Theatre in Brighton.
Kind regards,