“Great Experience, Will Return”

Regency Hotel Brighton
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
“Great Experience, Will Return”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I arrived late and was greeted by the charming owner, James. He was, and continued to be, extremely accomodating. Our room was a great size, breakfast was delicious and we had a great trip. Will return

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank James C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2012

This hotel is awful. My room was in a very bad state of repair, with a hole in the ceiling in the bathroom around the light, a hole in the wall in the closet. I had trouble getting the window closed and figuring out how to lock the bedroom door. The desk had been cut so that you could close the bathroom door. Decor and carpets were very old.

I'd come back to my room each day to find the door unlocked (anyone could have walked in). I was not supplied with clean towels. Housekeeper just emptied the bin, made the bed and folded the towels. One evening I ran out of toilet paper and there was no one around to get more.

On check out I asked if I could leave my bags for the day and come back for them. They said yes, so I duly left them in reception. However, when I came back to collect them there was no one there. I banged on the door and rang the bell over and over and over - nothing! I tried to call them but the phone number was directed to another phone where there was only an answer machine message. I had no way of contacting anyone and had to be at the station within an hour. I kept banging on the door and phoning. But nothing. I requested help from adjacent hotels but they didn't know how to contact the owners.

In the end I had to call the police or I'd miss my train and be stranded. The police advised me to find another way in whilst they tried to find some other phone numbers for the owners. The back door was also locked. Whilst on hold with the police I found a basement door, which I managed to get open and eventually get up to reception to collect my bags. I then had a mad dash to the station where I arrived sweaty and flustered with just minutes to catch my train.

This was a nightmare experience and 45 mins of blind panic thinking I was going to be stranded.I also noticed a sign in the window when I left that said CLOSED. Closed? at 5pm in the afternoon? What kind of hotel is closed then?

This hotel is neither clean nor safe. DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, despite some of the curiously positive reviews on this page.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank tracytcb
Holbeach, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Immaculate room, generous and thoughtful hosts, lovely breakfast.

Was amazed at the value offered by this b & b. To be honest, was not expecting this kind of establishment at all for the money we paid. Very impressed Wud def rec and stay here again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed for two nights in the front balcony room which was a bit more expensive than some off the other rooms but was worth every penny.Beautiful views off Brighon & what's remaining off the old pier that burnt down.The decor off our room was so beautiful that we didn't want to leave after 2 nights.
The owner James is lovely.Very charismatic & couldn't do enough for us.Telling us all the good bars,clubs & restaurants to go too.
Breakfast was included both days and also lovely.I have never had a "full English" as the Brits call it and it tasted great.Especailly the sausage!
If you want to see a proper side off England and its quaint little seaside towns then this cozy little place is for you with all it's finer details which you would not get in a chain hotel.
Well worth the visit!

• Stayed July 2012
Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Good point, the car parking is very close and is the square so not far to walk, and i was able to park outside whilst unloading the car (seems the traffic wardens are friendly) .The Web site looks FANTASTIC, great photographer ! BUT The property has seen better days and does need some attention. Our room was at the top of the property 8/9 flights of stairs and with small children it was more like a hike up the Matterhorn. The room had an a children's bedroom with a through door which was handy and the children did like the large teddies left on the beds. Our bathroom smelt very damp, up to the point of even whilst sleeping i had an aroma of fustiness in my nostrils all night . Disappointing
On a positive note the proprietors were very friendly and nice
It was a Family/Business trip which I stayed at whilst visiting the Casinos in the area

Room Tip: if you do chose to stay here do not have room 11 unless you are young and fit
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Karl M
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Just got home from a break in Brighton and stayed at the regency hotel which we had booked through a agent because they allowed your dog to stay. The keys were left out for us as we arrived at 10pm on the Friday night.

The plumbing in the bathroom was terrible, anytime you flushed the toilet there was this funny sound going on every 20 seconds for a couple minutes. As you sit on the toilet seat you have a sign they have put up saying if you flush anything down the toilet other than toilet tissue you will have to pay to fix it! which i thought looked very silly and found it really rude.

The House Keeping come at 9:30 and me and my girlfriend were getting ready so i politely asked the girls if they could come back in half hour, they said yes no problem so me and my girlfriend finished getting ready and took the dog and set out, we arrived back to the hotel at 5pm and the room had not been touched and no new towels have been put in the room, we called the hosts and were told "well the hotel cleaners have gone home, i wont make your beds or clean your room but i will bring towels up", i mean how rude is that, if your the owners you should come up and get it done as we are paying guests and hotel rooms are meant to be cleaned everyday, they should have realised it hadn't been done and sorted it out instead of us having to let them know it hadn't been done.

Upon check out the hosts tried to charge us a late check out fee for coming down 5 minutes late which again i found very rude, we were told by the agent it was £20.00 for the dog to stay the weekend, then they tried to charge us £20.00 per night!

Would never stay at this hotel again, they should charge more like £75.00 for the night instead of £110.00.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ricky Aaron L
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Where do i start,, i am by no means fussy about where i stay as long as my basic needs are met... The bedding was crisp, clean and tidy but the general cleanliness was not met..thick dust covered the skirting boards and door....Our windows did not shut properly and the noise was shocking!! The noise from above and the sea gulls were awful...As we had booked on line through laterooms.com breakfast was not included so we had to go out for lunch,,avoid hove kitchen if your looking for a cheap breakfast and head to the sea front...
Although the room was not clean and the noise was bad the male host was lovely...the woman sempt a little strange though... I would stay again but not in the room that i did previously... You would not want to show anyone your room although...

Room Tip: Just choose a room as high as you can>>>
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends