“Run down but good location.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cecil House Hotel

Cecil House Hotel
Ranked #62 of 98 Brighton B&B and Inns
Chichester
“Run down but good location.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed a few days, rmy room was on the seafront with great view. In a Junior Suite with shower and sink but toilet a few floors away?? Old decor, furniture falling to bits, poor picture on the tv, bedding old and frustrating as tv, dvd player and kettle but only two sockets. Wi-fi was down due to a server issue with no sign of it getting fixed. The only plus comments I can give are the staff were friendly and it was quiet considering location. It's a shame as the hotel seems to have just been abandoned and could be a great little place if the faults were fixed. Don't go for a romantic holiday but only if you really want a bed for the night.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Scoltand

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

My partner and I stayerd here for one night and were very presently surprised of how good it was for the price we paid. Our room was on the top floor, which was spacious, clean and very comfortable. we didn't have a sea view which didn't bother us because the room was nice enough which made up for it. We loved the decor in the room, and were suprised at the selection of soaps, tea and coffee and a bottle of water which was provided for us. This hotel is in a great location in Brighton as it is on the sea front with a 24 hour car park 2 minuets walks from it where we paid £9.50, which was fantastic. The town centre was about a 5 minuet walk away and the pier also in good walking distance.and lots of bars and cafes close by. Overall great place to stay thank you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

We booked the hotel for just one night, which was just as well as when we arrived the room was tiny. The only clothes storage comprised three hangers on a hook on the room door. When we booked we were advised that the room had an ensuite shower only, which I took to mean that there was no bath - I did not realise that the toilet would be three flights of stairs away.
The view was marvellous for such a cheap room - we had a seafront view overlooking the remains of the West Pier.
But what really let the place down was maintenance. There were tean and coffee making facilities in the room - but the only socket was behind the small dressing table. I was just about to move the table so that I could plug the kettle in when I realised that the left hand support of the table was broken away and merely wedged back underneath. Had I moved the table, a nasty accident could have followed.
Another issue with the room was a light socket that was hanging off the wall.
We wanted to watch some of the olympics events whilst we were staying at the hotel - but the programming on the TV was so hit and miss that it appears to have been tuned at random so only some channels were available,
Overall, you could not get a much better price (£69 for a Friday night for room only without breakfast) but I wish I had paid a little extra to stay at one of the far better bed and breakfast hotels in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DuncanHockley

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Porlock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

The room was at the back, so no sea view but it was nice, clean and quiet large. And at £59 extra-ordinary value. The hotel is on the sea front, just west of the centre, so very well located. The staff were great and went out of their way to make our stay work. Recommended.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Coventry, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

I stayed here in June for my hen weekend. It is fine for that purpose. The staff were welcoming and friendly, rooms clean but basic, flat screen TV's etc. They even threw breakfast in for me when I said I had booked without. The breakfast room is really nice and a fab breakfast with plenty of choice.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Missbrightside
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

My husband and I booked this hotel in July 2012 for TW0 nights we had one of the Junior double rooms, we ended up staying just ONE night and cut our break away short and decided to lose the money prepayed for the second night as the junior double rooms and their facilities are NOT nice. The hotel overall is in need of major face lift! Below is an honest review note that I'm not normally someone who is negative just for the sake of it! What let's this hotel down is it's facilities mainly which means a very uncomfortable stay and your better off by far at even a Holiday Inn or Travel Lodge budget hotel, this hotel is not really for a comfortable but basic romantic get away it's a bit of an anti climax!

Rooms:
Small, not enough space for 2 people to stand side by side next to the double bed, we could deal with this but not the dated decor green curtains red carpet and wall paper. Single glazed windows that allow a lot of traffic noise in as the hotel is on a main road, thin walls too could hear next door. Not appealing to the eye for a romantic get away.The pictures on their website of the junior double rooms are NOT the room we were in at this hotel. Toliet located one floor down that's shared with other guests.
Facilities:
The TVs at this hotel are still anologe ( we had the digital switch over in the UK in April) they have NOT updated each TV with a freeview box or newer TV. So guests are able to watch static/fuss free TV with normal channels, we asked about this at reception and were told you can borrow DVDs for free. (Their DVD collection is poor!And better off watching TV). They clearly have no intention of updating this and moving with the times, I bet that the hotel manager would not sit at home watching fuzzy TV with lack of channels, however the hotel management here expect their guest to AND pay for it!! Cheek! There's also no facilities on the floor we were on or in the main hotel to buy snacks or drinks. Not even a phone in the room either basic things were lacking.

The shower in the room allows a dribble of water, could not wash properly, the tap also fell off in my hand!

We did not have breakfast or venture down to the dining area in the morning when we left as 1. It's shared with the hotel next door 2. Its facilities are probably as poor as the rooms.

Overall, I would not recommend staying here to anyone, nor would we return mainly as we cut our stay short and lost the money paid for 2 nights as it was that unbearable. My advice spend a bit more and get more as even a Travel Lodge or Holiday inn have better, more comfortable, updated facilities than this hotel. There are plenty of hotels along the sea front in Brighton make this one your absolute LAST resort, in fact don't even consider it.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank LasVegasBride83
kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

I stayed at the hotel at the end of May 2012 for a hen weeknd along with 12 others for two nights, I must say from reading the reviews beforehand I was a little weary of what I was too find. Please ignore any bad reviews about this hotel as for the price per room at £35 I could not find anything to fault and believe me if there is a problem i am normally the first one to shout.
When we arrived at Cecil Guest House we were greeted by a guy on reception who could not of done any more to help us all, he carried all 13 ladies luaggage up the flights of stairs (the only downfall is the stairs, yes there are quite a few flights depending on which level you are staying on but this was no major problem and your bags are carried up for you so what more could you possible ask for) We were shown to our room which was two doubles and ensuite very modern, extermely clean and factliites of a tv/dvd player, hairdryer, iron, ironing borard, wardrobe with hangers. The beds were very comfy and the location was fantasic we had a room at the front of the hotel which looked onto the seafront and out onto the old pier, there is a main road at the front of the hotel which is noramally very busy with traffic but we had our window open all night as it was a hot weekend and was able to sleep with no problems, the location of the hotel is only a 5-10minute walk from the main shopping centre, bars, clubs and lanes, but far enough away from all the comotion. This is the first time I have written a review and i have stayed in many places but I feel it was nessarry as I found so many poor reviews about Cecil Guest House before my visit and i just casnnot see why, yes everyone have different oppipions but with 13 ladies stayting in four of the different rooms and not one of us having any problems I felt it necessary. The breakfast was fab too great selection and very reasonable price, the resturant and bar for the hotel also were great and worth a visit on your stay. I would 100% reccommed this to any of my freinds amd family, I am even thinking about booking the guest house to spend a weekend here with my partner in August! A job very well done !

Room Tip: Room 301 very spacious, with a beutiful view of both old and new pier