“Outstanding”

Russell Guest House
Ranked #87 of 95 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 4, 2011

I was in Brighton for a business trip, and was recommended to stay at The Russle Guest House, and was very impressed with the service from the staff, the room was clean and well appointed. The breakfast was delicious and the service was great. I would recommend to friends and definitely return if i were to come back to brighton.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed September 9, 2010

We booked this accommodation for its location (which is excellent), for being pet friendly and its seemingly good price. When we arrived we were shown to Room 3, which looks much more appealing on the hotel's website than in reality. The room was extremely shabby, in desperate need of some love and attention. There were stains on the carpet and also on the duvet cover. In fact the general standard of cleanliness of the room was poor, I had to move the bedside table as I had dropped something behind it and there was an awful lot of dust and debris beneath it. On a positve note the breakfast that we had to go to the Russell's nearby sister hotel (The Adelaide) for was very good, although it was slow arriving and nearby tables were strewn with the residue of other guests' breakfast dishes throughout the whole time we were eating ours. In addition, the hotel has an off road parking area for guests available at a charge of £6 per day, I asked if we could leave the car there for another 4 hours after check out at 11am and was told I would have to pay a further £5. I declined the offer as I had only checked in after 3pm the day before so it would have been nice to have seen an element of customer goodwill allowing me to slightly extend the stay, especially as it could not be confirmed that the space was required for another guest.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2010

Great location, immediatly into the center of Brighton.
For the rest, very unpersonal, really old furniture (including shower). The food is OK, but not too super. On overall just OK, nothing more, slight less.

Our regrets:
The room and the sheets were clean, but if you try to take an extra blanket, I wasn't so sure anymore.
We didn't want to use the water cooker to make us some coffee: it was all dirty inside and looked a long time not used anymore.

When you close the windows, there still is an opening and so at night and especially in the morning at lot of outside noise wakes you up since it gets right through.
Also the walls are thin, we could very good hear our neighbours and if they take a shower early, you're garanteed awake.

I'd say: if you're only in for it for the location, go ahead, otherwise consider before you book.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kris_Ilse
Reviewed March 14, 2010

Stayed in room #7 in the basement, room size was ok and had 3 single beds for me and my two friends which were comftable.
Room itself had a few modern touches such as wallpaper and curtains but was misssing the finsihing touches. However the things they had made an effort with were nice and modernized the room.
Our toilet didn't work properly, after telling the owner they said they would have a look.. came to see while we were out and still didn't work after that.
Two other friends stayed in room #2 on the first floor which was a decent size with nice bed. (The pics on here from room2 are old and the room has been 'modernized' abit.. curtains, paintings ect. Although still has that run down look).
On a positive note, the location was excellent for us and the breakfast at the sister hotel was good. Veggie full breakfast lovely!
And sister hotel only 2 mins away, not afr at all.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 7, 2009

My partner and I booked what was advertised as a deluxe double room for a romantic week-end away from the Russell Guest House's website. of course, thes site played up its "unique quaintness" - which seemed ideal for tjhe purpose of our trip - what a mistake!! Firstly, there was no reception area - when we arrived, we had to ring the doorbell several times before anyone responded and when a person finally answered, my partner and I waited for a considerable time before anyone opended the entry door - not a good first impression. We were greeted by a young man who directed us to our room. The stairway was creaky and the corridors required a good cleaning - there was mould & mildew on the walls!! The bathroom sink, mirror and lighting fixtures were not thoroughly cleaned and the toilet did not flush properly -nice! On the plus side, the rug and towels were new and the breakfast at their sister hotel was adequate. On the whole - this was the worst establishment I have ever visited and feel compelled to warn anyone contemplating a stay at the Russell to choose another hotel!! There are many other places to stay in Brighton for the same amount of money that offer better service and clean accommodations.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2009

I was dissapointed with this place

shabby

had to go accross the road for breakfast

the proprietor was rather rude

I think they survive on the conference trade where people have to take anything that is available, like I did

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 29, 2009

This was a one night stop-over on a cycling trip along the south coast. We knew we would spend minimum time in the room, so went for budget accommodation and weren't expecting anything too posh.

In my book a cheap/no-frills B&B/hotel should really mean no extras and maybe not so much space in the room - but there's no excuse for it being dirty. We stayed in another (cheaper) B&B elsewhere on the trip that was also basic but so much nicer! Here, the shower was mouldy, toilet was really stained, and there was an empty shampoo bottle in the shower so it obviously hadn't been cleaned since the last guest. There was a tea-tray but I didn't use it as there were tea-stains all over the tray and the cups were dirty. Bed frames were covered in dust, carpet was stained and had a sticky patch.

On the plus side - location was great, easy to get to/from station, city centre and beach. They kindly locked our bikes in the garage so we didn't have to leave them out on the street. Considering the location, it was also not too noisy at night.

Breakfast, served in the other building across the road, was ok.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends