“Great hotel with lovely staff”

Amsterdam Hotel Brighton
Ranked #28 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
London
“Great hotel with lovely staff”
Reviewed May 29, 2008

After looking at The Amsterdam's website I decided to book a room there for a mid week break. On arrival at Brighton station, the taxi driver knew just were to take me, he also assured me that I would have a lovely time.

On arrival I was met by friendly staff who appologized for the refurbishment currently going on. Must say you would never know there were any work done, the noise level was always at a low and the area around the workmen were always kept clean, didnt even mind the refurbishment work now.

Walked into my room and so happy when opening the windows to see a lovely sea view. I was amazed at how clean and comfortable the room was. Like all of us I started inspecting the whole room as soon as my bags were on the floor. What a surprise could find nothing wrong.

I unpacked and went down to the bar for a cold one, back in the room I switched on my computer to read and send some emails. At first the wi fi connection was working like a dream, what fun sitting on the balcony looking at life, having a cold beer and surfing the net in the same time. Alas the wi fi connection got weaker and weaker and by night time there was no connection at all. For people like me who are addicted to their computers it sure was a let down. After asking reception about the connection they assured my that they are working on the problem. A few minutes later as I walked down to have a stroll on the beach. I saw the manager and some staff working hard on the problem with a signal booster box lying on the counter. The next morning I could get my normal fix of the internet.

The bar got busy the eve and late night I went down to have a quick night cap. I sat outside on the terrace watching the staff cleaning up and getting ready to close. A very friendly staff member then opened up an umbrella cleaned my table and bought some extra chairs around.

Had a great sleep that night with very clean bedding and a soft comfordable bed. Decided to sleep in and missed the breakfast that was on offer the next morning. Late afternoon I went down to the sauna and was surprised to see the high quality of this small but intimate place. Well done for a great sauna, the best I've ever been to.

All and all I had an amzing time in a well maintained hotel with lots of friendly staff, a nice bar and an execeptional room.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Good old English weather
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Reviewed February 18, 2008

Booked on the hotel's easy to use website. Had read mixed reviews so was a bit uneasy, but the Amsterdam allowed us to book for 1 night at the weekend, unlike a lot of other hotels we had tried.

We arrived really early and, no surprise, the room wasn't ready. They were happy to look after our bags and, when we returned later, we went straight up the the room.

The room smelled of paint and looked like it had just been redone. It could have done with a picture or two on the wall, but I'm sure they'll get round to it. Whoever had done the painting had obviously had a great time - there was paint on the light fittings, on the sofa cushion, on the waste bin, everywhere. The bathroom was a wet room and was nicely done. The bed was comfortable and the bedding very clean. Flat screen TV would have benefited from more than 4 channels.

The room was huge and had a great view of the pier. The bad side of having a lovely sea view is that the road is pretty noisy. There is a club next door and the crowd noise carried on all night . Didn't bother us as we passed out in an alcohol induced coma anyway. So, if you want an early night, I'd suggest you give up the view and go for a side room.

The sauna was being refurbished, so didn't get to use it. The bar is great and there was a good crowd in.

The thing that lifts this place from just being a nice place to stay is the friendly staff. At checkin, at the bar, leaving or collecting luggage - whenever we met the hotel staff they were enthusiastic, professional and friendly. They made our stay with them relaxing and memorable.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LondonDj
Reviewed November 25, 2007

After an extremely rocky start at the Millards Hotel, Brighton, where my wife and I had originally booked for our first visit to the city, we were compelled to seek alternative accommodation within an hour of our arrival. For the reasons of our departure from Millards kindly refer to negative reviews on that hotel pertaining to the proprietor’s character.

Luckily, we had spotted a more pleasant looking facility on the corner of Broad St and Marine Parade called The Amsterdam (The Ams) . It gives my wife and I great joy to comment about this establishment. After leaving Millards we were stressed and devastated to say the least, but as soon as we walked through the doors at The Ams our moods automatically changed and our spirits lifted. We were met at the door by a member of staff who happened to be stepping out, and met us with a kind, "how are you, please come in". We promptly did exactly that.

We moved swiftly through the bar area and were directed to the reception desk by a well mannered young gentleman, whom kindly let us know there were rooms available in response to our desperate plea, "please tell us you have rooms for us". At this point Andy the Manager was summoned to our rescue. Andy is the BEST!!! We were swiftly checked in by him personally and sent up to our spacious, clean, well presented, sea-front suite…WOW, we loved it beyond words. We felt safe, secure and at ease. We were treated with respect and courtesy. Later that evening after returning to the Hotel from a walk on the pier, there was a box of Belgian Chocolates waiting for us with a card from Management and Staff (never imagined that the brief mention of our anniversary caught their attention).

In a nut-shell, The Amsterdam saved our short weekend. Everyone was lovely. Service with a smile is an understatement – every encounter with a member of staff lead to a fun and pleasant conversation. The room was excellent, breakfast was rich magnificent and very tasty. We don’t even have to think twice about making this hotel our first point of call whenever we are in Brighton.....and neither should you. A+ + + + + +……….

Kwadwo & Marianna.

• Liked — Staff and the room
  • Disliked — Nothing, everything was great
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Bedio
Reviewed November 12, 2007

I and my partner had stayed there some time before, when it was under differant management and had a nice stay. This time we arrived with high hopes, but i was not to. last long. On arriving the receptionist was rather arrogant. The room did have a sea view as requested but could only seen through a filthy window. The room was also of a very poor standard with damp walls covered with mould and peeling wallpaper with decor that was very 80's. The staircase up to the room was also very depressing.
Would definately not stay there again

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rooms
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ScunnyAndy
amsterdamBrighton, Hotel Manager at Amsterdam Hotel Brighton, responded to this review, November 26, 2007
Firstly we strive to give a good customer service and high standards in our Hotel Accomodation. Having recently had a Hotel inspection by the Visit Britain tourist board and been awarded a metro Hotel rating of 2 Stars. I find it hard to understand the above review, especially looking at the other great reviews under The Amsterdam Hotel. As for the wallpaper hanging off the walls, the Hotel does not have any wallpaper. Being a seafront hotel, we constantly have a problem with sea spray in bad weather affecting our Sea Facing windows, which unfortunately is out of our hands. The poor quality room pictures posted, in no way give the correct impression of our room standards. (Visit our website for a true impression). We do take comments made on Trip Advisor very seriously and it is very disappointing that the concerned customer did not come forward to express their disatisfaction on checking out of the Hotel.

Andi Stuart-Tuck
Hotel Manager
Oxfordshire, England
Reviewed October 17, 2007

I can't belive some of the poor reviews this hotel is getting. I stayed in an en-suite side room. the room was large and lovely, the bathroom was clean nd well equipped. It is perfectly located near Brighton Pier. The staff are friendly and welcoming. Although it is a 'gay friendly' hotel, I am a straight female and was there alone, and I couldn't have been made more comfortable.
Well worth staying here.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank YimYem
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2007

This was a very nice hotel. The rooms although small were very nice, big pillows warm fluffy quilt, wet room, tea & coffee facilities and a TV.
The staff are very nice and made me feel very welcome, nothing was to much trouble. When I enquired about stuff they found out the information for me and rang me to let me know.
Breakfast was nice.... everything was nice.

• Liked — Staff and quilt
  • Disliked — view
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2007

I would advise you to look elsewhere for a hotel in Brighton as this place is a rip off and dirty.Having stayed here for 2 nights it is the worst hotel ive ever stayed in.Dont expect a traditional Full English Breakfast because you dont get one here,just cold toast and butter that is rock hard.The tables were filthy and I didnt even get asked if I wanted tea or coffee.This place is very expensive also and unlike most hotels which have leisure facilities for customers to use for free this place charges extra to use their sauna which is very boring.The staff and management are unfriendly and ineffiecient.Also its very noisey and you get no sleep.This place is a disgrace

Stayed September 2007