“A great place for a weekend break”
Review of New Steine Hotel

New Steine Hotel
Ranked #49 of 94 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 6, 2008

The New Steine, next door to and owned by the same people as Gullivers, is a great contemporary small boutique hotel to spend the weekend at.
The staff are very friendly and the Bistro is a relaxed place to dine at. The French Bistro is a good option if you are arriving late, but there are plenty of restaurants within a few minutes walk as well.
The only problems were that the tv (which has freeview) is not very large; and there is a lot of late night noise from people in the small park opposite the hotel. It wasn't too noisy for us, but in the summer with warm and light nights I can imagine that it would be frustrating (unless you are partying in the the early morning as well).

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
There are newer reviews for New Steine Hotel

Reviewed November 5, 2008

What a wonderful hotel!!! After searching for many hours and reading lots of reviews I booked a two night stay for myself and my mother at The New Steine. I have stayed in hotels in the UK and found them very lacking, not this one! From the moment we arrived we were greeted with a warm welcome while booking in and shown to our beautiful room. The room was absolutely superb, ground floor, which was perfect for my mother, spacious and a wonderful bathroom with walk in shower and a lovely selection of toiletries. We had booked the dinner offer and i would highly reccomend the restaurant, our 3 course dinner was delicious. Staff all very friendly, even turned the heating on an hour earlier than usual without being asked when we came in cold from a bracing walk on the pier! I cannot rate this hotel highly enough, a wonderful experience that I will be repeating before very long.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 28, 2008

With a welcoming Pimms upon arrival, I knew I would be coming back to the New Steine. The service is great, with a little bar and restaurant and nothing is too much trouble. Both times, I stayed in the 'Sea View' Rooms, which were soooo comfortable, with a bed and bedding I could quite easily have slept in all day. There are so many places to stay in Brighton, but this one has really stood out for me.

Reviewed October 25, 2008

My husband and i had a night away on our own without the kids and i searched and searched on the internet for a night away and this hotel seemed perfect, when we arrived it was a lovely location,comfortable cosy room and very scrummy food! The staff were very friendly and helpful. would definately come again maybe with the kids!! Thanks New Stein!!

Reviewed October 13, 2008

With clean and refreshingly modern decor, the friendly and helpfull staff made our stay very comfortable and enjoyable. We stayed for breakfast and evening meal, both of which where very good and tasty food.The hotel is convenient for shopping, theatres and sea front, all of these being within easy walking distance. Thoroughly recommended.

Not a bad hotel.

Good location, nice decor and friendly service were the plus points.

Breakfast was OK but not exceptional, a top-up on the coffee might have been nice.

Unfortunately there was a bike rally in Brighton that weekend so our pleasant stay was slightly spoilt by being woken up too early by traffic noise, but that's not really the hotel's fault.

Reviewed October 13, 2008

We booked the suite with the expectancy of getting a bath tub included (as confirmed over the phone prior) but we were given a room that had the smallest shower I've ever stepped into.

Not only that...when they say 'sea view', and of course you PAY for this, it is only seen at an angle from one window. Although the room was tastefully decorated I would hardly consider it a 'suite' because it was smaller than my own double bedroom which I don't consider suitable for two people!

The access to the room we were alotted was horendous because the entrance door was adjacent to a wall that was at a 30 degree angle!! What happened if hefty people were staying there? They wouldn't have been able to get passed the doorway!?

Oh, and it doesn't stop there!! We had NO HEATING for the first night. Not good for the stormy weather outside which made our room a morgue! We called reception at least 5 times to complain and was just simply told it was ON and to wait a while. Eventually I insisted that my partner ask someone to come up to then only be told...'I'm not an electrician, I don't know what's wrong with it...sorry' and left the room! Thank GOD they brought up a small free standing heater or else I would have made a royal scene and demanded my money back!?

Another shocker was that the 'reception' was actually the BAR of the small restaurant!!

Now, if I hadn't have paid such an exorbitant amount of money with the expectancy of 'luxury' in honour of a 'special occasion' it wouldn't have mattered but in this case..it was a horrible experience and I've been to MANY hotels all over the world in my time and this was by far the worst ever!!

Oh and if you want breakfast in bed you better had get ready for only a 'continental' because they don't allow HOT food in their rooms!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple