“Sass in the city.”
Review of New Steine Hotel

New Steine Hotel
Ranked #53 of 95 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I treasure hotels which make me feel that I'm living in a city,rather than just staying in it.Had a basement room which made me feel as though I was in my own flat.Corner bath and sitting area added to a sense of individuality and freedom and permitted me to paint in plenty of natural light.Repairs to the loo were attended to immediately.Warm friendly staff assisted with luggage without being asked on arrival and departure.Breakfasts were fab(didn't try Bistro menu but I'm betting that would have been good too)Only slight quibble.Champagne/Sparkling wine not served by glass.Pity.

Room Tip: The Basement room is light airy and spacious.
1  Thank mary v
GulliversNS, Manager at New Steine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Thank you so much for your lovely review and I am so glad you enjoyed all elements of your stay with us. I have passed your comment with regards serving Champagne by the glass onto our proprietor as we always welcome feedback in ways we can better the guest experience.

We hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

I booked my room the night before I stayed and from the get-go, found all the staff very helpful and accommodating. I had just cycled from London to Brighton and was delighted that the staff offered an area on site for me to keep my bike. Breakfast was lovely too. The rooms aren't particularly sound proof, but that was a minor issue. Loved this place, really charming.

• Stayed: June 2013
GulliversNS, Manager at New Steine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with. I hope we get to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I stumbled across this place a few years ago when a booking with another hotel fell through and this was the only place with a vacancy. To this day I am oddly grateful this happened as the Steine is the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. Everyone is amazingly welcoming and friendly, and always helpful when it comes to this like the local transport systems.

Whenever I’m staying in Brighton, I will always stay here. I have done for the last 4 years, and I don’t regret it one bit.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
GulliversNS, Manager at New Steine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Thank you so much for your review and for your kind comments. We are so pleased that we can keep our regular guest's happy with the product and service we provide and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

The staff were very friendly especially Stephan.We stayed for 2 nights one night at the New Steine and one night at Gullivars the sister hotel next door both hotels were excellent.The beds were very comfortable with good bedding and the rooms were super clean.Lots of choices for breakfast and the food was excellent..Very stylish hotel which I would recommend highly.

Room Tip: Ground floor with private patio.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
GulliversNS, Manager at New Steine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you will come back again soon.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We were attracted initially by the good reviews and great location but...

Lets start with the shower - a bolt of hot or a bolt of cold will hit you - no inbetween. Indeed the shower was a bit like a caravan shower. The dark faux wood decor, seemed to suggest something of a wagon. The extractor fan was a killer - so noisy and coming on randomly through the night.

The room itself is okay, and the bed sleepable, although its a small double (around 5ft?). The room is quite stuffy, so it could be uncomfortable in the summer.

Breakfast - we are both veggie and got served a real meat sausage. On day two both of our breakfasts were cold and my egg was burned (after requesting it to be cooked a little more).

For the price we paid per night - £125 per night for room 202 - in spite of the location (just off the sea) - it really wasn't worth it and wouldn't stay again.

The best bit of the hotel is its free wifi.

Room Tip: Don't bother with this place!
2  Thank secretsquirrel_10

Thank you for your review and I am sorry that everything was not up to standard on this occasion.

I have passed on your comments to our General Manager with regards the maintenance issue in your bathroom and the mix up over your breakfast, and I can only apologise and assue you this matter will be dealt with to ensure it does not affect any future stays.

We take feedback very seriously and am always striving to ensure the best product and standards we can, and I thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Just come back from a hen weekend in Brighton where 18 of us stayed in the New Steine. We had our own private dining room for our two course evening meal and also for our breakfast. The staff were great, especially Stephane who had great sense of humour and helped us plan our evening out in Brighton! The decor is original and modern and the atmosphere was relaxed. Food very nice with breakfast being fresh, not greasy, lovely fresh bread for toast (no sliced white out of a bag) and quick service. Great location and great for large parties.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
GulliversNS, Manager at New Steine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review and I am so glad that yourself and your group enjoyed your stay with us - we hope you gt a chance to come back again soon.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

A wonderful Bank Holiday weekend stay in this people friendly hotel with thegreat advantage of an excellent evening menu from their delightful Bistro. The Breakfast Buffet is a feast in itself, or choose a cooked English/ Vegetarian Breakfast that sets you up for a day of roaming the Lanes buzzing with activity, fashion, food and galleries.

The location could not have been better, in the heart of Kemp Town, literally a few minutes from the seafront, visit the superb architecture of Brighton Pavilion closeby set in a garden that is a horticulturist's dream, or spend some time in the museum rich in art and culture.

The friendly and effecient staff gave me a warm welcome,not only upon arrival, but each time I went in for whatever reason, and the accomodation itself was very comfortable.

I will certainly return to the New Steine Hotel as it was such a pleasurable experience.

A huge thank you to the lovely team of staff from myself.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review - we are so glad that our service and standards hit the mark and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel soon.