“Ok but nothing to write home about!”
Review of New Steine Hotel

New Steine Hotel
Ranked #53 of 95 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I found the New Steine when shopping around for a hotel suitable for my partially disabled mother for a long weekend. The staff were pleasant, helped us in with luggage and advised that parking was free on the street for anyone with a blue disabled badge. We would not have known as the street signs did not indicate this fact. We were given a ground-floor room which was basic but clean and ok. They were a bit mean mean with Tea, coffee and milk provision in the room. it is inconvenient to keep asking. The room had impractical layout as the tea tray was in the wardrobe with nowhere obvious to plug in the kettle! We had to relocate the tray on table near the window, then it only just reached to plug it in! Not ideal but we managed! The only other option seemed to be to put it on the floor by the nearest socket. There was a little mold on the ceiling of the shower which aggravated my asthma. There were no hooks in the bathroom or anywhere to hang anything so wet coats were a problem. A mirror would have been nice to do our hair and makeup. For the price we paid i would expect this. One thing i could not fault was the breakfast, which was beautifully cooked.

Room Tip: The streetlight could be a problem for some in this ground floor front bedroom as the blinds were in...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
GulliversNS, Manager at New Steine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I am sorry if you only found your stay as average with us. We pride ourselves on our service and product, and it does not appear that you were 100% satsified on this stay with us.

The additional points you raised that could have improved your stay have been passed over to our Management team so that we can action any points so as not to inconvenience any future guests, and I do hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

On arrival, which was late, about 9pm, I have to say at first I didn't find the staff particulary pleased to see us, or that;s the impression I first got, this was a touch dissapointing as we had travelled from Cardiff and were tired and just wanted to see a friendly face. My husband went off in search of a parking place, whilst I was sat waiting for him at first I felt a little uncomfortable and wasn't offered a drink or anything, however within 5 mins the 2 girls on reception became happy and chatty and were most helpful, pity this wasn't shown as the door was opened to us, would of made a massive difference to first impressions. Apart from that first little blip I have to say that after that I found all the staff to be polite, helpful, friendly and happy and we liked them all very much. On being shown to our room we were most pleased with how clean and modern the hotel and our room looked, the room smelt badly of smoke but the member of staff already knew this and apologised straight away saying we could be moved the next day if we weren't happy, in fairness it really was not their fault that some idiot and decided to smoke in the room! We chose not to move the next day as we were only there for 2 nights. My husband had paid for a delux room and whereas I truly could not fault the cleaniness or the decoration I did feel it was quite over priced as the room was very small and the double bed was tiny.

The breakfast each morning was very well cooked with all local produce and we very much enjoyed it.

Overall the not so good points were, no parking, small room that was really noisy with all the clubbers in the street all night and a small bed but there were plenty of good points and they were, beautifully decorated, excellent location, friendly and helpful staff, wonderful breakfast, very, very clean (a massive plus for me) and by the looks of it probably one of the nicest looking hotels in the area.

We would return however not at the price we were charged.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I am so glad, overall, that you enjoyed your stay with us.

You did raise some negative points - I am sorry if the greeting on arrival was not as the rest of the stay was. We pride ourselves on our service element and this comment has been passed onto our front desk team to ensure it does not happen again. With regards the parking, we do offer the discount vouchers £7.50 per 24 hours from our Reception which is amazing value for parking in City Centre Brighton. In terms of room size, as an older Georgian style building, our rooms do differ in size, so I am sorry if the one you were allocated felt too small for you. We do regularly price check ourselves against our competitors and feel we are well priced for the market.

I do hope you choose to come stay with us again at some point in the future.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

We've just returned from a weekend break in Brighton, first time for my wife and I, have to say we had a lovely time.
Booked to stay at the New Steine a week or so before the weekend, paid 236 pounds for a Saturday and Sunday night. Compared to other hotels nearby this seemed about average.
The location of the New Steine is perfect, close to the beach, the pier, the Brighton wheel etc whilst being far enough away from the city to avoid to much noise. The staff were very helpful and friendly on arrival and at breakfast.
Mentioning breakfast, wow! Compliments to the chef, a well cooked, well presented plate of full english, very tasty. Nice to see a hotel avoiding beans and fried bread and concentrating on quality.
The room itself was compact, ok, small. I bought a 'deluxe' double with sea view, I think the word deluxe needs to be removed as it is a standard ensuite double. The room has a small double bed and wierdly a single bed! Can this not be taken out to allow more room? Perhaps a nice armchair? The ensuite was the disapointment, if you are over 5'7 you will feel no water on the top of your head from the tempramental shower. Its tiny! I'm 6 foot and had to actually kneel on the shower floor to wash my hair. Funnily enough it was whilst on my knees I noticed the grouting falling out from between the tiles...nice.
A word of advice for the owner would be to remind the housekeeping team that whilst refreshing the rooms to replenish milk, tea bags etc on the hospitality tray.
All in all a decent hotel but probably a bit pricy for what you get, location spot on, staff lovely, room not so good!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
GulliversNS, Manager at New Steine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and may I also thank you for all the nice things you said about our Hotel - I am so glad that you had a good stay overall and that you had an excellent breakfast and excellent stay.

With regards the other points you raised, the room you were allocated was a Deluxe, but because of the large number of family visits to the Hotel, the room does have an additional bed in the room to accommodate up to three persons. The description of the Deluxe is in reference to the fact the room is slightly larger in size to the Standard, but mainly because it is facing out the front of the Hotel with views over the New Steine Square and out to sea - being Brighton sea view rooms are always sold at a premium and I am sorry if you felt this was overpriced for this factor - we regularly compare our prices against our competitors and do feel we offer value for money.

As for the shower, some of our shower rooms are smaller than others, and being an older Georgian Building we are unable to amend these layouts, however we do not advertise anything to the contrary and I do hope it did not inconvenience yourselves too much.

I do hope you will get the chance to return to us again soon.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Superbly positioned near the sea and city centre. Be careful which room you choose. Ours was unacceptably noisy owing to night staff treading the boards above all through the night. No positive action to rectify this in spite of strong complaints. Breakfasts are excellent – ours were served by pleasant young female staff, which helped to mollify the effects of a sleepless night!

Room Tip: HIgher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
GulliversNS, Manager at New Steine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and your comments - I can assure you this matter is taken seriously and though we cannot resolve your direct issues now, we have, this week, started a process of re-laying boards and carpets in areas around the Hotel where the boards are older and creaking.

As an older style Georgian Building, we do have some areas that need more upkeep and we regulalry inspect these areas to ensure as minimal inconvenience to guest's as possible.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your breakfast and that this helped mollify your negative thoughts on your nights sleep.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Really disappointed with our stay here as I think their descriptions of the rooms and the hotel on their website are extremely misleading.

The New Steine is definitely not a boutique hotel as advertised and it's definitely not worth the money we paid in my opinion. My husband and I booked a double deluxe ensuite room with a sea view for £102 including breakfast. Our room consisted of what seemed to be one large single and one single bed, a very, very, very tiny shower room (it was the size of a small cupboard & could only fit one person in at a time), cheap MFI furniture, with a very flimsy lock on the door. The room faced onto a square and the supposedly sea view was partially obscured by the bay window of the property next door. The walls are paper-thin & the mattresses on the beds were saggy and offered no support. Their website states they have just recently refurbished.

Breakfast was okay.

The New Steine is more like a standard B&B so I not sure why they have described themselves as a hotel. If the room were at half the price advertised, I would not feel like we've been totally ripped-off. To be honest, a Premier Inn or Travel Lodge would have been a far better choice.

2  Thank L K
GulliversNS, Manager at New Steine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Dear Guest,

I am sorry you did not find the Hotel to your liking. We are listed as a Small Hotel, as opposed to a B&B, due to the standard (4 star as recently renewed by the AA) and the services we provide, such as 24 hour Reception, 24 hour Room Service, Bistro and Bar, Conference Rooms, Bedrooms with Desk Space, Direct Dial Telephones, Flatscreen TV's, etc...

We check our pricing against our competitors daily and feel we are well placed in the market for what we offer. Unfortunately some of our bathrooms are smaller than others - being an older Georgian Townhouse we are unable to change that, however we do not state anything on the contrary on our website.

It is a shame you felt were more of a B&B and I believe that you expectations from that point on were in view of this fact, as opposed for the actual service and proiduct we provide, which is a shame, but we do thank you for your review and we believe that all views should be expressed and we welcome the opportunity to respond.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

We chose the New Stein Hotel after looking at their website which advertises a boutique hotel and shows lovely photos of the rooms. The room we chose was £119 a night (we could have paid an extra £20 a night for a sea view but as the hotel is in a square off the front we decided that the view would at best have been a sideways one and decided to go for a basic room). That was just what we got. The room itself (room 111) was on the small side and decorated in the boutique ikea/ MFI style. The carpet was very basic and not very well laid. Bathroom was small. Decor tired.on the positive side the breakfast was good and the location fine. We thought we would have problems with noise, being at the front of the hotel just feet from the road but in all fairness we were hardly disturbed. As other reviews have noted our toiletries weren't replenished and while we had a bottle of water and somebiscuits the first night these were also not replenished. The previous nightwear had stayed in a Holiday Inn Express costing under half the price and we felt that overall that gave much better value for money.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
GulliversNS, Manager at New Steine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I am sorry you felt our property was basic. All rooms are done to a good standard and though room size can differ room to room (as we are an old Georgian style building) we do feel they offer a good range of services, including Tea/Coffee making facilities, luxury toiletries, Flatscreen TV with up to 40 TV channels, free Wi-Fi and direct dial telephones, which I would say we feel is more than a basic offering.

I am glad though that you felt our location was perfect with no noise disturbances and that the Breakfast was good, and I do hope you will stay again so you can see a variety of the rooms we have to offer.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

Excellent hotel in a quiet location yet hugely convenient for the city and all the attractions. Stephan and his team could not have made us more welcome. Very comfortable room with a good view. The food and wine were excellent and well-priced. Superb, very substantial breakfast with amazingly quick and efficient service. The most memorable feature of the hotel is undoubtedly the staff. Without exception, they were helpful, friendly and extremely efficient. When we return to Brighton, there will only be one hotel on our list! Many thanks.
Chris and Jan Steele

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
GulliversNS, Manager at New Steine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Thank you for your great review and I am so glad that everything was to your liking. I have passed on your comments to Stephane and the rest of the team, and we do hope you choose to return to us soon.