Valentine House Hotel
Legends Hotel(Brighton)(Great Value!)
$76
$73
  • Breakfast included
Ibis Brighton City Centre Station(Brighton)(Great Value!)
$82
Hotel du Vin(Brighton)
$121
$115
Hotel Una(Brighton)
$159
  • Breakfast included
Jurys Inn Brighton(Brighton)(Great Value!)
$113
$154
$146
$120
  • Beachfront
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 14, 2010

I’ll try to keep this simple. I stayed in the Valentine House B&B (without the second B) for three weeks. Overall, I’ve decided to rate it 2 out of 5. I’ll write why I think this is justified below, and they you can make your own mind up. This is an account of my own, personal experience.

I was given a room in the basement, not in itself a bad thing. The room was not particularly damp, though things like towels dried very slowly and never completely. I wouldn’t like to be trapped down here in a fire (more below), but it was basically fine. Here is the write up:

THE GOOD

An excellent shower. Hot water without fail, and moderately powerful.
Ditto the taps and toilet – I had no problems with any of these.
They do a decent job of sprucing the rooms (I enjoyed this only once a week instead of each day, for a ‘cut’ rate price)
The place is run by a perfectly nice group of individuals, presumably a family.
The rooms have good licks of paint, working plugs, and clean enough sheets (though the pillows could do with replacing)
In terms of storage there is enough (built in cupboards and a chest of drawers)
The radiator worked fine.
Working (though slow) internet.
Nice breakfast room, with sofa, TV and current magazines.
Cost is cheap for Brighton, about £25 to £30 per night (depending on how long you stay – allegedly – though more about this below).

THE BAD

An awful mattress – I had to flip it and even then it was far from perfect.
A really grimy duvet, in fact a blanket. This hideous piece of cloth was too big for the duvet cover, and so stuck out from the bottom. Unsightly. Eventually I brought a duvet & cover from my home in London and slept under that. It made the mattress more comfy and lessened my contact with the dreaded rag.
Bad room light – I brought a desk light of my own in the end to supplement the pathetic glow of the ceiling lamp.
Shoddy construction – the slide door to the bathroom came off its hinge on day 1 and was never fixed. It was out of use for the whole stay.
Broken television. Tinny radio.
The only piece of furniture you get (other than a chest of drawers) is a splitery table on which the broken television lives.
I came back to the room one night to find the bathroom inexplicably covered with water (and weird bits of black stuff, like bark).
Every evening an enormous gushing noise can be heard behind one of the walls in the bathroom (it lasts for about 10 seconds, and comes every hour or so).
The toilet fan starts off very quiet but after 20 minutes of having it on you feel like you’ve fallen into the engine of an aeroplane.
Whoever cleans the rooms often forgets to change or provide towels.
Price (bear with me here). Because I stayed 2 weeks, I was charged a slightly cut rate of about £25 per night. When I said I would like to extend my stay to 3 weeks, they insisted that I pay full rate for the last week (£30 per night). I thought this was pretty low of them, and a bad way to deal with (relatively) long term customers. No perks (e.g. breakfast) were offered, just a price hike. Lame.
Once night I returned from London and found an ancient heater on full blast in a downstairs cubby hole. It was scorching, undoubtedly a massive fire hazard, and completely unsupervised.

A final thing…

When I left (despite much of the above), I booked a double room on one of the upper floors for some friends who were arriving that evening. I was quoted £35, and asked if I wanted to pay there and then. I said they would pay when they arrived. When they did, they were charged £75. Not only did I look like an idiot, but my friends were £40 out of pocket. ‘Best room in the house’, apparently. According to them, the shower had no hot water, which, you’ll recall, was the one saving grace of my previous room.

Dire.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank caterpillarman
Reviewed September 12, 2010

I have stayed in some pretty rough places around the world and don't consider myself to be a fussy person, but I do draw the line at being charged £75 a night for a room that is completely infested with blood sucking bugs, and then to have the owner laugh in my face when I complained...

This place looked OK from the outside (a bit shabby, but I can live with that); the Russian woman in charge was polite, although a demand for cash up front possibly should have set off warning bells. We got back to our room after a night out at around 3:30 and went to bed; I couldn't settle as I kept itching, so at around 4:30 I turned on the light and was confronted with around a dozen enormous bed bugs scuttling across the duvet, with blood on the sheets where they had been feasting on us. Turning over the mattress revealed evidence of a severe infestation, with bug casings, droppings and eggs in abundance. I was kicking myself for not checking before we handed over our money, but how often do you remove a mattress before you book into a hotel room?

As there were apparently no staff on the premises, we rang the mobile number on the wall but received no answer; not wishing to provide further food for the room's occupants, we had no option but to leave and walk the street of Brighton until sun up, when we hoped the staff would be around to provide the breakfast we knew was going to be served at 8am.

We returned at 7:30am, exhausted having not had a wink of sleep, to find the place still empty; we managed to get hold of the Russian woman on the mobile number (apparently she doesn't stay on the premises -- I wonder why??!) and explained the situation, asking her (very politely) if we could speak to her about a refund. Her complete lack of concern made me realise that we were very likely just the latest in a long line of people to complain, as she was so off-hand about it. First of all said she just 'didn't want to' meet with us, telling us she 'didn't care' when we explained about the bugs, and then, when we started demanding to see her more forcefully, laughing as she told us how we would never get any money back anyway and she didn't care if we stayed to confront her. Exhausted, we decided to leave it to Karma to take care of her and wended our way back home.

Our clothes and bags are currently in bin bags in the garden; the thought of bringing any of these bugs back with us to set up home in our own bed is too horrible an idea. I have already decided to chuck away some of the cheaper items, but coats and shoes will have to be treated before I can let them back in the house. This is going to end up being an extremely costly night away...

We have reported the Valentine to the Tourist Office, but who knows what that will achieve. Those who have given this place decent reviews have either been extremely lucky (which, given how easily these things spread, is unlikely), or have just not noticed their nighttime companions. At any rate, I wouldn't go near a breakfast in a place where guests are treated with such monumental distain, and basic hygiene is so clearly lacking.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Bellwy
Reviewed August 11, 2010

After reading reviews, I was worried, but I had a lovely stay. The manager was friendly and my room was great. Only little things were wrong like no plug..but Hey! it was worth every penny staying there. Felt very safe on my own there.
Jo Farrington

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank JoJoNorfolkengland
Reviewed August 10, 2010

The price was reasonable and the location was fantastic. We stayed for three nights at the hotel.

On arrival we were kindly greeted and given our room key and told the time for breakfast, which if you are an early bird, who gets up at the crack of dawn, would find the times okay, but 0800 to 0900 is really a bit early considering you are on a holiday - it would have been nice to have had a lay in.

The room had just been decorated because the room stank of paint during the entire stay. We had to keep the window open to keep the room aired. Thankfully l do not suffer with asthma because that would have set it off.

The room was tiny for a double room and the bed was not a double but three quarter length bed, so it was very cramped for two adults sharing the bed. The furniture was tired and old and the windows were filthy. There was hardly any room and the storage was a wardrobe which was really, and l mean REALLY, small and certanlly not enough space for a long weekend away.

The 'ensuite' bathroom was a very small built in wardrobe poorly converted into a bathroom with a shower that had really bad pressure as the water only sprinkled out and not really sufficient if you have been sweating after walking up the steep roads of Brighton.

There was no housekeeping during our stay apart from fresh towels on the second day. The cleaniness of the bathroom was poor, the taps were filthy and the shower was not much cop either.

The following morning at breakfast we asked for another pillow as they only provided three cream crackers, i.e thin pillows. We were told outright "no" which took us back a bit, to be honest, as it was not an unreasonable request. We were told this was due to the hotel being fully booked and there was no spare pillows, which is not really accceptable that they do not have spare bedding.

Regarding the breakfast, you felt the staff were rushing you to finish - just as you helped yourself to cereal, they were bringing out your toast and full english breakfast. The toast was cold and the breakfast luke warm so this clearly indicated they were not cooking your breakfast fresh. God knows how long it had been standing there before you came down to dine - I got the impression they put it the microwave for a minute to reheat it, which is unacceptable, lazy and to be honest disrespectful to the paying customers.

Before l forget, they were so lazy that they could not even be bothered to grill the tomato as advertised on the menu. For all three breakfasts the tomatoes were raw, THE PORTIONS WERE STINGY, i.e. kiddies portions.

Overall this hotel was appalling and the service was very poor, and l think the owners clearly do not know how to run a hotel or to provide an acceptable service. Yes it was cheap but not that cheap, it cost us £225 for three nights - l could have gone to Butlins for far less and for a better service.

So please read this and avoid this hotel. The owners do not give a monkeys about their paying guests - all they want is your money. l know this sounds harsh but after staying there and been given service like that, what other conclusion can you come to?

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank matt98
Reviewed July 22, 2010

My wife and I had a very pleasant weekend staying at the Valentine House. We stay in Brighton Guesthouses twice a year and this was the best that we have found in terms of value for money and location. Some of the "boutique" guesthouses are twice the price and frankly not as good. The room was newly decorated and all bedding was crisp and clean. Breakfast was ample. There is no buffet but this is not a hotel. The full English was cooked well and delivered promptly. The staff were pleasant. We will be staying there again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple