“Lovely hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
West Midlands
“Lovely hotel”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

A wonderful warm welcome from Andrew & Jarvis when we arrived and offered tea or coffee in the lovely quirky lounge/bar, a very nice touch. Our room was lovely, clean, warm, comfortable light and airy. The bed was especially comfortable with nice crisp clean linen. Nice touches are the bottles of good mineral water each day, chocolates and nice biscuits, plenty of choices of different teas and the lovely toiletries. We also had a fragrance diffuser to add to the relaxing feel to the room. Breakfasts are really delicious and plenty of it. Don,t miss the cocktails they are delicious. The hotel is located close enough to all of the great restaurants, bars and shops, we enjoyed the 10 minute walk back along the promenade.
We would definitely go back to this lovely relaxing and welcoming hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Brookmans Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Dear Friends,

I wanted to send a belated, but nonetheless heartfelt 'Thank You' for everything you did that made my stay at The Oriental in November so pleasurable!

I was visiting Brighton for the Annual Royal College of Midwives Conference, where I was proudly asked to present work to over 600 of my colleagues! I was far from home and as a young single female traveling alone, could not have been more reassured by the welcome I received. The stylish boutique exuded personality in its decor and ambiance, where any guest would feel 'part of the family', but fully able to appreciate the freedom of coming and going as you please.

In all, the hotel and it's staff far exceeded my expectations. Lola and Jarvis did nothing but bend over backwards to facilitate a seamless stay for me. My trip was for one of the most important professional events in my career, and it was imperative that all went to plan! The kitchen was opened for me early each day (at their own suggestion), as it was understood timing was of the essence. Breakfast was always divine and the best start to my very long days. My room was beautiful, comfortable and, as I kept calling it, 'My little piece of heaven/tranquility to come back to'!...complete with jacuzzi bath, feather duvet and pillows, satellite television, adjustable heating, tea/coffee etc and balcony. The hotel resides on a quiet street, but only a five minute walk to the seafront and conference centre. Each evening I was greeted by Lola and/or Jarvis on my return, who were so kind, caring, considerate and interested in how my day went! They were only too happy to recommend popular eateries, provide directions and were so helpful with my parking arrangements. I was given a key fob for access in and out of the building and felt safe and secure. On my last day, although I had to vacate the room, I was able to leave my suitcases and return after the conference to collect them.

I often frequent Brighton with my partner, but this was the first time I have been on my own. It was just fantastic to have uncovered a little jewel like The Oriental, and undoubtedly look forward to going back as a couple very soon! Ultimately, the hotel was superb.....faultless, but more than that, it was the individuals who added the personal touches, eager to make their guests happy, that really clinched it! THEY sell the place.....and a fantastic B&B on top of that.....you can't go wrong! Go to The Oriental people, they'll look after you!!!

Jarvis & Lola....wonderful people, such a lovely couple, hard working and devoted to the care of their guests. A credit to their establishment! Thank you guys, you really made it all go so smoothly for me, and helped me to enjoy what otherwise would have been quite a lonely and nerve-wracking time! Keep doing what you're doing! I'll be seeing you ;) Xx

Room Tip: Superior Double with Balcony - beautiful, but they all look good, will return to try another in due...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Josie R
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We booked this only a few days ahead and were delighted when we arrived. The hotel is in a beautiful old building but inside is well maintained with all the mod cons. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room had everything we needed. Breakfast was delicious but the cocktails from their resident mixologist the previous evening were the real highlights. Highly recommended to anyone looking for a boutique hotel near the sea front.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eluned W
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed here for our wedding anniversary (in fact I'm sitting in the room writing this!) and overall the hotel is very nice. Short walk from the town centre, nice spacious room as very comfy bed. Followed by a tasty 2 course breakfast the next morning!

My only criticism is the bathroom door, which is a frosted glass sliding door with no lock. I had a bit of a battle to keep it from sliding open again, and even when closed the fact that its glass means you can sort of see, and most definitely hear everything going on in the rest of the room, which I found a little uncomfortable.

In the grand scheme of things though a very nice small hotel, with straightforward good service.

• Stayed December 2012
London
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The Oriental is a very sweet and stylish B&B, a couple of minutes walk from the seafront in the western end of town, towards Hove. We are regular visitors to Brighton and have stayed in a number of its hotels, and this is up there with the best.

From the moment we arrived at the Oriental, we were met with a warm & polite welcome. The place is very rich in design – typical of the boutique hotels of Brighton – with a wonderful Gaudi-inspired bar and a sumptuous colour palette.

We had a quiet room facing the back of the hotel on the 1st floor, which was great as the noise can really travel on the narrow Brighton streets. The room was very small however, again this is typical of Brighton –you don’t get much space for your money, but what it lacked in space was made up for in comfort. A nice comfortable bed, and a beautifully decorated room made it a nice cosy place to chill out, although we did find it quite hot in the middle of the summer.

Breakfast was excellent, with well-sourced ingredients and a great vegetarian option, always served with a smile. The Oriental has a great environmental policy too.

The room prices are typical of this type of accommodation in Brighton (overpriced!) but you are paying for a good, central location, nice environment and proximity to the sea.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room ask for one that faces the back
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Paddock Wood, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Fantastic room, suited my friend and I perfectly! Very clean and provided everything needed for an overnight stay. Even though we were a two minute walk from the beach and the town it was lovely and quiet once in the room. Staff were very welcoming and I am sure if we needed any advice they would have been able to provide us with the information required. Breakfast was so substantial that I didn't eat again until the evening! Highly recommend, you will not be disappointed

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Kent
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Had a fabulous one night stay, comfy well laid out twin room, superb breakfast and in excellent central location for shops, pubs and restaurants, all for a very reasonable cost- would highly recommend!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends