“Lovely & relaxing”
Review of Lichfield House

Lichfield House
Ranked #84 of 95 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I spent 3 lovely nights @ this guest house. The staff were friendly and helpful and the room was lovely and quiet with good facilities and a comfortable bed. I would defiantly stay @ Lichfield house again. Thank you.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed June 23, 2013

The rooms were okay, clean and good size. We lived in the Patcham room, which was very close to entrance so we could hear very well when others walked in. There was an easy check-in- and out as we got a code from them for the main door and our room key was in the room and we just left the key on a table when we left. The location was good, only a couple of minutes walk from the main street with all the shops and you could see the ocean down the street outside of the hotel. No breakfast but a 20% discount at a café a minute away. No parking but you could stay out on the streets for free during the night. Overall good, but we will probably not choose this hotel in the first hand next time.

Room Tip: The rooms with a bay window have a good view but can be a bit noisy as they are by the street. If yo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Currently staying in the Adalaid room on the ground floor. Good job we didn't bring a cat, definitely wouldn't have been able to swing it anywhere.

Walls are paper thin, I can hear next door flushing and showering. Our shower is luke warm and be careful when plugging into the wall on the right side of the bed, the socket has started coming out of the wall.

Does the job however, it's basic, it's small, it has a bed. That's it.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed in this B&B on a week night and as we were unable to arrive before 6pm to check in we were emailed a code number for the main door. Before we arrived we received a call from a member of staff making sure we knew how to get in, the lady on the phone was very helpful and polite.

We arrived at the B&B, the code worked correctly and we were very happy with our room. It was very clean, tidy and comfortable. The stay was only overnight but it was everything it was advertised to be, a low cost comfortable room with no breakfast.

I would definately recommend this B&B. I have since tried to book the room again for another stay but have discovered they are fully booked. Not sure where all the low ratings/reviews are coming from for a buisness that would appear very popular!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I was a little worried about this hotel after reading other reviews on here, some were justified others perhaps not..GOOD POINTS: the room was nice and clean and had plenty of space; the bed was really comfy; bathroom clean and nice toiletries BAD POINTS The bathroom was absolutely tiny, the light switch was outside and as you had to close the door to actually sit on the loo this wasn't ideal as the fan was noisy and the light flooded the room; it smells really bad, sewer smell?? The blinds for the room were woefully inadequate so light all the time and if you're like me and need the room dark to sleep you're out of luck; the windows are rubbish for noise etc...so although the rooms are comfortable and clean the stay was not relaxing....if these things were sorted it would be nice.
On another note this b&b DOES NOT provide breakfast (we didn't realise this until after I had booked)

Room Tip: I put service terrible as there was no-one on site at all. The cromwell room was very nice but show...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed at Lichfield house for NYE and was pleasantly happy with our stay for such a good price especially for the time of year.

- The room was clean, plenty of space with modern furniture and ensuite.
- The location for us was fine.. Only a 10 minute walk into town and 2 mins from the sea front
- Although it was great to have independence please be aware that there is barely any staff around. (perhaps just for new year but possibly all year round).
There was only one problem when 3 groups of guests were locked out the building as the code wouldnt work. However this was resolved within 5 minutes (in the rain) and the receptionist, who was also locked out, was very apologetic and was doing all she could to get us back in
- The bathroom did smell terribly the whole time we stayed and you can hear the pipe work and shower noises from other rooms which was slightly annoying, however it was very clean.

All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel for a pleasant low price stay.

Room Tip: Ground floor you can hear people walking and talking when going by in the mornings. However this was...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JenniferC247
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Positives: Location ok for city centre. We managed to park reasonably close by.

Negatives: Initially stayed in Patcham room on ground floor - front of building:
Dubious cleanliness of ensuite sink behind taps.
Uncomfortable bed
Totally inadequate blinds fitted to window - white vertical blinds and had some gaps; curved window. Excessive light pollution from street light outside. No common sense in this approach - white? gaps? streetlight??
Disturbed by main door buzzer for entrance throughout the night.
Room cold - no central heating switched on until the morning.

Moved to York room, top floor back of building for second night (not possible to speak to someone in person, discussion re. above held on fairly poor quality phone line). Incidentally, the manager took my call and said "some people like the light". I did feel he would have fobbed me off if possible.

York room - Yes, it was a quieter room, but:
Room too cold despite radiator being on. We had to leave the hairdryer switched on some of the time to help.
Mystery draft from doors from fire escape. Double glazed. Windy night! Confused but it's true.
Room got colder later. My partner was awake most of the night as he was so cold.
SHOWER: 10.45 AM (check out at 11 am) SHOWER STOPPED WORKING. I was lathered up from head to toe with no water - hot or cold - from either the shower or the sink. Thankfully I'd made us some hot chocolate earlier and there was still just enough water in the kettle that wasn't quite too hot to rinse myself off as there was no sign of water coming back on. Perhaps someone in a room below took a shower or a domestic staff was running water?
THIS IS MEANT TO BE A 4 STAR HOTEL.

My partner made the phonecall to complain as I was so exasperated I didn't feel able to deal with it. I did witness the phonecall. He spoke to the owner who was frankly initially very unhelpful; "what do you expect me to do about it". He also informed us that "the central heating switches off at 11pm". After a great deal of discussion my partner negotiated a reasonable refund having refused to accept the initial offer. So much for our romantic weekend break.

Useful hints and tips for future guests:

If you are a keen camper, this could be for you - take your tent to ensure light pollution is minimised, a reasonable sleeping bag to keep warm and make whatever arrangements you usually make re. shower facilities. Everybody's different, decide for yourself whether it may be prudent to take earplugs. I cannot in any way recommend this "4 star hotel" with a clear conscience.

Room Tip: Higher floors appear less noisy.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple