“Great Hotel”

Drakes Hotel Brighton
Ranked #4 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed February 11, 2007

The room (circular sea view) was lovely. The sea view was great. Only downside was a bit of traffic noise but it wasn't too bad (and I am generally very fussy about noise!). The service was efficient and unobtrusive. I have booked my next visit.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Drakes Hotel Brighton

Reviewed January 13, 2007

During the first week of January, we were able to get a last-minute special through Drakes's own website: 99 pounds, compared to the regular rate of 199, bed and breakfast. (You can also check laterooms.com for similar discounts.)

Because we got such a great rate, I'm inclined to give Drakes a very positive review. First, the location is outstanding. It's right on the seafront, with a wonderful view of Brighton Pier. Drakes is in Kemp Town, a little bit away from the noisy, tatty part of the seafront , although you can easily walk to those places if you want to.

We didn't get a sea-facing room. Instead, we got a duplex that faced the back, but we didn't mind because it was so quiet. The room was on the first floor of this former townhouse, so it had relatively high ceilings and felt spacious. Toiletries from the White Company came in a gift box. The linens were so sumptuous I made a note of the maker (Beltrami) so I can get them for my own home.

The bathroom, accessed down a short stairway in the room, looked great but it didn't function very well. There was no counter space to put your things, and the vessel sink (those things should be banned!) was too high. A previous reviewer posted pictures of this room, so you can see for yourself.

Gingerman, the hotel restaurant, has gotten a lot of positive reviews. We didn't try it for dinner, choosing instead to go to Hotel du Vin (excellent.) Gingerman is located in the basement, and they also serve breakfast there. It's probably lit nicely for dinner, but in the morning it looked drab and lifeless.

Drakes has become our favorite hotel in Brighton. We'll definitely use it again, with or without a last minute special.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SkyeTraveler
Reviewed December 10, 2006

A relaxing stay and great retreat by train from London for a long weekend. Located in Kemptown of Brighton right on the sea across from a busy street with spectacular views of the Pier. We stayed in the circular sea-facing room on the second floor which was fabulous. Roomy with striking contemporary decor, wonderful rounded vintage windows with charming shutters for privacy, flat screen TV, amazingly comfortable bed with high thread count linens gazing to the sea. Rather small bathroom with signature soaking tub near the bed area. Difficult to contain water from the open shower concept in the bathroom. Quiet room with minimal traffic noise. No elevator but staff willingly took bags to the room. Staff were helpful and professional , providing great dining tips. Did not eat at the hotel as there are many excellent choices in Brighton that should not be missed. This is a pricey hotel with a sophisticated, adult feeling and special touches which are rather hip. Suggest getting the best value and experience with a larger sea-facing room on the lower floor.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Leisureboy
Reviewed December 2, 2006

Just got back from 2 nights at drakes in Brighton. First visit to Brighton and the hotel looked fab on the website.

Now lets get a few things right, the hotel is lovely with great views, we booked a sea facing room in the attic for £195 per night room only. We got there, checked in, we had two overnight bags, mine very heavy, after all I am a girl and we need a lot more gear than you guys when we go away.

Our room was four flights up, hey no problem you think, the views are gonna be great, but Drakes to not have a lift!! So after climbing the three flights of curving stairs, getting altitude sickness on the way up we get to the final flight of stairs, which are very steep and very narrow. At this point we are need of oxygen, we puff and pant into the room. Lovely room, small though for £195.00 per night. Lovely chunky bed with fresh cotton sheets on, bathrobes and slippers (nice touch) until you get into bed and bash your knee on the side of the extremely nice looking, but very vicious chunky bed. There was a bath in the room, free standing, and a ensuite cupboard which passed as a wet room, shower, come toilet, come sink, great except for when you have a shower you then need to wipe the toilet down with a towel because its sopping wet (Very clean, not!).

If you are new into a relantionship, don't even think about it you can hear and see everything whilst in the loo! Very romantic, just don't have the beans for breakfast!

We ate the first night in the Gingerman restuarant, very good food, good service, but crumbs on the suede booth style seating, nice touch for £80+ (this is bill excluding wine or desserts). Just a little thing but hey you are paying for above average accommadation and service, and just not getting it.

Missed breakfast the next day, was up to late, breakfast finishes at 10am, which is early for a weekend. So we goes out in search of a fry up and got one for £10 including coffee for the 2 of us, in Time Out cafe, been going for 20 years, very shabby chic but good value for money.

We made the mistake of getting up the next day earlier and going to for breakfast, £12.50 for a bowl of porridge and maple syrup? My husband ordered kippers with toast (you only get one slice) also £12.50! I think the Catherine Tate sketch comes into mind about the northerners dirty robbing B******!

If you have money to burn then go, and you can look very swanky coming out and saying you stopped at Drakes "Boutique" Hotel. But if youv'e got the money ,one thing I can't stand is getting ripped off and thats how I feel about this place. £500 plus for 2 nights, could have stopped in a very nice hotel for half the price and felt that you got value for money, thats is Drakes problem, exploit the rich and rip em off. Not for us next time.

Small note, don't have too much to eat, you'll never get up them stairs you'll need an ambulance man of hand to give mouth to mouth!

8  Thank llarvin
Reviewed November 25, 2006

The hotel is centrally located in Kemptown and is close to all other sections of the city. When I checked in the staff were very helpful. When I entered my room I was disappointed that the entire room was smaller than my home shower. The bed was comfortable. I had an attic seaview room. The view was very nice. The bathtub was a good soaker.

The hotel attracts couples and I felt like an intruder sometimes as I was travelling alone. The hotel ended up being very close to all of Brighton's restaurants and entertainment districts.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled solo
3  Thank Shanehoustonlittle
Reviewed November 24, 2006

My husband and I decided to venture to Brighton for a one night mid week stay to get out of London. We checked out the website and decided on the circular sea facing room. When I phoned up and booked I checked out what floor the room was on and was told the 3rd floor the same room that kylie stayed in.

The room we had (301) looked exactly like the pictures. We don't usually stay 5 star so for us this was a treat. I loved the wet room and the heated floor tiles were great. But what really made the room was the view and the huge bath, although would be great if they provided bubble bath.

My only complaint was the traffic noise. I had read this on previous reviews but thought being on the third floor this would be okay. Although I am a light sleeper but my husband slept right through no problems.

All in all a great hotel not sure I would pay the full rate for a weekend night but would recommend for a treat.

2  Thank kiwirach
Reviewed November 22, 2006

We came down from London for a 24 hour escape and couldn't have asked for more - the bed was massive and extremely comfortable and the bath in the bay window even better. Although its important to close the lower shutters for some added privacy!

The view from the window (we stayed in a large room on the second floor) was also amazing - watching the sun set over the sea and the pier was very romantic.

A fantastic stay overall - the room was perfect and staff very attentive. The hardest part was leaving the most comfortable bed we've ever slept in!

2  Thank awhplumbly