“Wow!! Best weekend of my life!!”

Drakes Hotel Brighton
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Essex UK
“Wow!! Best weekend of my life!!”
Reviewed May 17, 2010

We had the great pleasure to stay here for two nights in mid-April, due to the happy fact that my oldest friend and his partner were having their Civil Partnership ceremony within the hotel. We really couldn't fault the hotel in any way. We had the ground floor city view room. To be honest, there's not much of a view from this room, but it didn't matter, as we were only about ten steps from the front of the hotel, which is perfectly situated for views of the sea and Brighton Pier. The room itself was just the right size, more to the point it had every amenity imaginable, including tv, DVD player, HI-fi and free wifi which was a personal favourite with me. The beds were so comfortable with countless cushions and pillows heaped all over it in a very tasteful way. No expense has been spared in the furnishing of the rooms.
From start to finish we were treated like royalty - I'm not talking Fergie - more like HM The Queen. Absolutely nothing was too much trouble. A friend of ours developed a headache, so one of the guys behind the bar (Fraser I think) ran down the road to get him a packet of Nurofen. And we'd brought a bottle of our own champagne which needed chilling. I asked for an ice bucket and two flutes, and it was no trouble and was in our room within two minutes.
The whole 48 hours we were there was an absolute joy. The food was out of this world, we had a 7 course tasting menu on the first night, a different drink with every course. I don't think we've ever had such wonderful food. Also, the cocktails at the bar were out of this world. There's a cocktail with rhubarb in, which was my particular favourite, totally sublime.
It's an expensive hotel, however, I think it's worth every penny, especially for a special occasion, and we can't wait to think of an excuse to return. The organisers made sure that our friends' civil partnership reception, and the 40th birthday the following day went completely without a hitch.

Thanks so much guys and we hope to see you soon.

Andy and Chris Roberts

• Stayed April 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2010

Stayed at drakes as a birthday treat for my partner in early March. Were upgraded to the excellent circular sea facing room which had a most wonderful view. Everything was immaculate and the stay was very relaxing. Staff are very accommodating and attentive. We stayed on a dinner, bed & breakfast basis which I highly reccommend doing as the restaurant provides marvelous food served by extemely good staff - you really feel looked after! This was in fact our second time eating at the restaurant. Brighton is a wonderful place and Drakes the perfect place to stay. We will definitely re-visit.

Reviewed March 16, 2010

Despite the mixed reviews, Drakes - with its seafront location, sea view baths and a complimentary cocktail (courtesy of Mr & Mrs Smith) - looked like a hotel worth taking a chance on. We're glad we did, because our stay there was great. We were checked into a beautiful room with breathtaking views of the beach, and staff were friendly and helpful throughout our stay. Having heeded the warnings about parking charges, we took a train and reasonably priced taxi to the hotel, which is a stone's throw (almost literally) from the pier, the Royal Pavilion and shops, bars and restaurants of the Lanes. The bar was cosy, the breakfast was delicious and hopefully, it won't be too long before we're back at Drakes again!

Kent
Reviewed March 14, 2010

Hugely expensive room - £240 per night. The room was tiny and taken up by a daft bath in the middle of the room which you couldn't use without being seen by people walking by on the street! I guess the bath is mean't to look trendy - but the idea just doesn't work. Pack light as there isn't a wardrobe in the room just one hook - literally. The wet room is also supposed to be trendy but that's just because it's so tiny there wouldn't be enough room to put a proper shower cubicle, loo and sink in it. The shower head was grubby and scaled and soaked the entire room, so the next person to use the wet room after you've showered, gets wet feet and has to sit on a wet loo...nice (!) The tiles looked like they needed replacing - it had a very 80's feel to it - all grey and red. There was a frosted glass door that didn't close properly, so don't expect any privacy when you use the loo/shower. The sink tap also came off in my hand.
The car park charges and breakfast charges are ridiculous considering the cost of the room.
We had dinner in the restaurant on one night and the room we were in was so cold, I had to put my jacket back on. We dined in a separate room to the main restaurant for some odd reason with 3 other tables. The atmosphere was quiet and lifeless. The food was ok along with the wine list but I wouldn't bother going back.
Plus points...just a few - the staff were friendly and when I complained about all of this - they knocked the parking charge off - so got a £25 refund.
Would I go back? not a chance - there are far better hotels out there that are much much cheaper and with better atmospheres.

3 Thank LLPKent
essex
Reviewed January 24, 2010

We stayed at Drakes for our second time in December! When we stayed before we had a Bijou room which was lovely but we wanted something more special as it was for my partners 30th Birthday. We booked a circular see facing room! The room was amazing! It was a very large room with a huge comfy bed, big bath(very deep and big) sat in the window(floor to ceiling windows) you could sit there and look out to sea or watch the huge tv!! I could not fault the room it was lovely and worth spending the extra money on!
But..... like other reviews have said I do think when your bill for 2 nights room only is over £ 450 there should not be such a high charge for parking or breakfast!! Or actually no charge at all!! I know parking in Brighton is expensive but when youre staying in a luxury hotel you should not pay to stay and park there and then pay £12.50 for breakfast!! I would recommend going to Bills in the lanes for breakfast it is amazing!!!
We will return to Drakes but I do think they need to think about the extra charges! Maybe think how they would feel If they were a guest!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2010

Think we probably had the best room, amazing bath in the bay window over looking the sea in the bedroom. Bathroom is a wet room so you can not leave anything in there while you are having a shower (quite tricky to find a dry spot for your towel). Beds very comfy and whole room very clean. Great location, just a little way away from the madness but close enough to be there quickly.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2010

Me and my girlfriend decided on Drakes straight away after finding it after researching hotels in Brighton for our one year anniversary. It looked clean, trendy and great quality on the website and it definately lived up to the standards set.
When we first arrived we were greeting by an extremely friendly receptionist who gave us all the info we needed and carried both our bags up to the 3rd floor. On the way up we borrowed some DVD's from the hotels film library which I though was a fantastic touch. It's a bit inconvenient that the hotel has no lifts but as its a listed building I totally understand.
Long story short we absolutley LOVED Drakes, it was the most perfect get away any of us could have asked for and we have nothing but praise for this beautiful establishment. We only had breakfast here (which was delivered to our room ) and although I didn't feel it was worth £12.50 it was extremely tastey and filling. I would only recommend the full english breakfast though as the continental breakfast was a bit bland. The beautiful freestanding bath was definatley the highlight of the room, plenty of room for two. I must admit it would be better if the price was more realistic but it was worth every penny!
Drakes is a jewel of Brighton and we are planning to return in Feb!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple