“Fabulous location, lovely hotel, terrible room - our experience could have been better if we had had a different room”

Drakes Hotel Brighton
Ranked #4 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

It's hard to review, because location wise it is perfect, on the beach & walking distance to everything you need. The staff were friendly & welcoming, the hotel very clean & impressive. Our first impression of our room was 'wow' - but this quickly evaporated when we attempted to go to sleep. Our room (002) is next to a cupboard, which appears to be where the cleaning equipment is held, which seemed to be accessed from 5am onwards. The cupboard felt like it was in our room it was that noisy with staff going in & out of it. Then the pigeons started outside our room, and never stopped. The room is also next to the staircase that people run up & down constantly, plus the staff seemed to stand outside our room chatting, before starting hoovering. Eventually we fell back to sleep before being terrified awake by a huge industrial sounding roar from beneath our room, which lasted over an hour. We gave up on sleep to have a shower, but our bathroom was a wet room, so once hubby had showered our whole bathroom was drenched, including the entire floor & toilet. If we had been in a different room our experience could have been so different.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank DMW228

Reviewed April 29, 2013

arrived at drakes 7 pm Saturday to a perfect welcome, staff were very attentive and made sure everything we needed we got. room was beautiful, sea view. very romantic. will definitely be back. thanks to all.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed at Drakes last year, and even in the winter it was a great experience. We had the attic sea facing room, which is at the top of four flights, but tucked away from the rest of the hotel and perfect for a romantic stay. The lovely bath in the room looking out to the sea and stars through the window is built for two, and so comfortable one could almost fall asleep in it.
There is also an enclosed wet room with a great power-shower and loo. (just in case you thought it was all communal bathing!)

Everything in the room is high spec and luxurious, without being flashy. A extraordinarily large and comfortable bed, covered in fine Egyptian cotton bedding.
We had a tray supper because it was late, which was perfect. Breakfast in bed was the ultimate in decadence and was quite simply delicious in every way.
The only thing about this hotel, and in particular this room is that there is no lift. However, unless you have a disability, climbing the stairs is good exercise and makes you appreciate the beautiful room and views even more.

The staff were totally charming and helpful from the moment of booking, advising on which room to select, food, etc.

I just read the review about a room that was very small. I don't know which room this was, but the one we had was really spacious and utterly beautiful.

I mean to return soon.

Room Tip: Sea-facing rooms obviously have a lovely sea view. The sea-facing attic room is wonderful! Unfortu...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I was looking for somewhere in Brighton to stay for my girlfriends birthday. After lots of searching, I eventually decided on drakes, and I'm glad I did! The staff were friendly and helpful from booking to departure. I'd booked the top seafront facing room with freestanding bath, this was lovely and was everything I'd hoped for, a particular highlight was sharing a bath my girlfriend and the morning sun pouring through the windows.The only very small gripe is that at the price, I do think breakfast should be included. Overall we loved our stay and will definitely come back!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Johnboy1982
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I booked Drakes through the Mr & Mrs Smith website, and because I was using a gift voucher as part payment, I had to pay the balance upfront. Not a problem, the reviews were good, so I was happy to pay.
On arrival we had complimentary cocktails which were delicious. The nicest mojitos I have had in a very long time!
But the room - what a pity.
It was very cleverly designed to get the absolute maximum use of the smallest space possible, and even with a lovely sea view, it felt claustrophobic. The bathroom was the size of a large toilet cubicle, and in fact that's what it was. It was also the shower cubicle, so when you wanted to have a shower, you had to take everything out. This included the toilet paper which got soaked the first time I showered.
We paid £370 for two nights - ROOM ONLY!
Packing to leave was tricky too, we couldn't both move around at the same time. We were told the yin/yang rooms were popular with couples as they were affordable, but we thought our room was meanly proportioned for the money.
We can't fault the staff though. From bar staff to maintenance man, they were all courteous and helpful throughout our stay.

1  Thank Eileen M
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed here at the weekend and somehow managed to pick the best weather so far this year! The hotel is on the seafront at Brighton but is quite easy to drive past!

From outside it looks quite small but what they have done with the space available is amazing! Our room (sadly not a sea view room) had a king size bed, a stand alone bath and a wet room. They had engineered shelving and hanging space to maximise the space - the room really did feel airy.

The staff were very helpful and suggested some places to eat in Kemp Town which was a 5 minute walk away. The pier and city centre were 5 minutes in the other direction. So a superb location.

Cant wait to get back and book a sea view room this time!

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get a sea view room.
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed here for one night last minute. The room was lovely, the bed very comfortable and the views out to sea and the pier were fab. The only thing I wasn't keen on was the loo which was in the walk in shower - the doors didn't completely meet and it was a little disconcerting being on the loo and looking out into the room!

The staff were friendly and helpful - I genuinely felt that they wanted me to have a good time. They replaced a cocktail which I didn't like without question or charge. They also took me down to the restaurant to choose my table when I mentioned I would like to be in the front room of the restaurant.

We had dinner in the restaurant and the food was very good although it's a few weeks ago now and I can't remember what I had! There is a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.

The location for us was perfect as it was far enough away from the 'action' in the evening so we were not disturbed by hen party crowds but near enough for us to wander along to the shops and cafes. I prefer the cafes and shops on the East side of the pier anyway.

We will definitely return.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the sea have a lovely view but obviously there is some road noise
1  Thank hpp63