“Service with a smile?!”

Ranked #31 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Service with a smile?!”
Reviewed March 26, 2007

This hotel was booked for a conference, and on arrival the tatty exterior (in desperate need of a paint job) made me want to turn around and leave. On arrival however the front of house were pleasant
and helpful, and my room- apart from needing new wallpaper, was clean and large.

We were well stocked with coffee and tea and sweets for the conference, and despite feeling like we were in a dark basement converted into a conference room, it was fine and what we needed.

Food/Service- not so great- i'm not sure what was worse- the very grumpy waitress who, when i asked if the pecan pie came with cream, said with such a sigh "Well i guess we could get you some" like i'd asked her to specially prepare my desert there and then in front of me whilst dancing a jig! Or the food- the main course was luke warm, and to be honest breakfast and lunch were a bit lack lustre too. My milk for tea in the morning breakfast was off, which was a small improvement on the coffee with our evening meal where i had to search out milk myself!!

I think i was dissapointed by our one waitress' attitude really - like we were causing her trouble by giving her business and paying to eat her lukewarm food. On our second day we went to take our lunch outside into the lovely sunshine, as was permitted on the first day, only to literally be shouted at to return indoors- nice way to treat your guests!

I think this place needs a lick of paint and a service standards overhaul, and would really only recommend it for a one night stop over, and to eat elsewhere.

• Liked — Large room
  • Disliked — service in restaurant
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank TravellinB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Polish first
Reviewed March 25, 2006

stayed at the langfords hotel with some friends, but i am sorry to say that the recomondations that i recived for this hotel did not live to its billing . the reception area was very nice on arrival but the room i was given , when on entering the room the bed spread had a rip in . on entering the bathroom found that is smelt of sewage and the tiles on the floor of the bathroom were very slippy and that was when the floor was dry , so hate to think what it would be like when wet,the breakfast in the morning was very very sub standard, this was not a very pleasant hotel to stay in .and i have been in the hotel and liesure trade for 20 years and will never go back to the langfords hotel to stay im very sorry about this but it is the truth, and will be coming back to brighton soon for a new visit but will find some wherte else to stay

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Reviewed May 2, 2005

We stayed at the Langfords hotel over the Bank holiday period.
We found it very good location sandwiched in between the sea and shopping in a very quite Third Av.
It was near to resturants and all brighton has to offer a tip from me leave the car parked out side and catch a city bus after your legs have given up walking £2.60 for the day and no hassle parking.
Our room was large well decorated and the bed was very comfortable . The bath room was huge with a spa bath. The rooms were very clean and tidy. The breakfast was very enjoyable and all the staff where helpful.
We only had one problem and that was delt with quickly the radiator leaked in the bath room and the duty manageress was efficent and professional.
I would recommend the Langfords for a well earn't break.

• Stayed April 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 23, 2005

I live in Hove & had friends coming to stay & I booked them into Langfords on a recommendation. I saw the reviews on this site a matter of days before they were due & I am so pleased that I didnt change my booking. I spoke to staff at the hotel who reassured me that it had been a problem with that one room due to a water leak & that all had been repaired. I was shown the room in question & I can say that it was lovely as was the room my friends had.The rooms were spotless as were the public areas There is a really nice lounge area & bar & the staff were all friendly & helpful. There is a lovely atmosphere in this hotel, very relaxed & welcoming & my friends were more than happy with thier stay. I would recommend this hotel to others & my friends will be staying again next time they are over.

• Stayed March 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 23, 2005

Dont be fooled by the description on the web site. The reception is very deceiving. First appearance is very nice until you reach the stairs, thread bear carpets. Over all very shabby, very dirty and the staff are not very helpful or friendly. The cooked breakfast should be edible but was not. I have seen cleaner public toilets than the bedrooms in this hotel. The bridal suite i booked was more like a standard double room and my husband and i could not stay in the suite, the alternative room was just as bad. The pictures below are self expainitary why we did not stay in this suite and the alternative room was not alot better.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 7, 2004

The Hotel was a little tired in most areas. The first warning signs were, the pay the bill up front, and a cash only bar. It seems to be mainly Hen and Stag parties that stay there at the weekend, with some couples dotted around. The room was large and clean but again tired in some of the decor. The attached restaurant that appears on the web site was not open, and was used for guests breakfasts. The breakfast was good with attentive service.
If you are a light sleeper be aware of the comings and goings of Hen and Stag parties, in the early hours of the morning. Overall, a bearable stay for one night.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 10, 2004

Awful Staff, awful service, awful rooms. Possibly the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member