“Great Location”

Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Calgary, Canada
“Great Location”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We came to Brighton for one day and I based my choice of hotels on location. I wanted a view of the sea. Our room was fine and had a huge bathroom. Unfortunately we were on the top floor and our view outside was obstructed by an unaccessible balcony.
I recommend not taking a room on the top floor for that reason.
Breakfast was okay but location was prime. Maybe a little more than I would have liked to spend for a room.

Room Tip: Book a room with a sea view but not the top floor
1 Thank DJost
Paul W, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank for your review and glad you enjoyed the location.

I am sorry you were dissapointed and the view was slightly restricted. Let me know next time you come up and I will ensure you get an alternative room. Standard Seaview Rooms are smaller but all Premium Seaview Rooms are larger with Full Seaviews.

Regards

Paul Wright

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2014

This was our third stay at the hotel and again, it was a good experience. We chose to stay here as the location is perfect - right on the beach front by the pier. The hotel rooms are clean and nice. This stay are room was a little bit 'cosier' (room 101) however the previous 2 stays we had a lovely sized room. The staff are friendly and it has a lovely atmosphere.
The only negative we would have for this stay would be the cost of the parking. Previously we did not know that their was a car park so would park in town, however the prices have been made more expensive over the past year. When we found out about the car park under the hotel when booking (as it is well hidden, which is good for security), we decided to make use of this service, however it is fairly pricey - at £23 a night and if you want to stay longer on your last day, you have to pay an additional hourly price. The service for the parking is excellent - but certainly pricey!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Mearsy86
Paul W, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your hotel and pleased you enjoy coming to us.

Being an older hotel we will have varying room types but when you next come please let us know your favorite room and we will do our best to get this for you.

Parking at the hotel is limited and operated on a valet parking basis., We continually monitor our pricing and ensure our hourly rates are lower than the nearest car park based on a 24hour rate.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2014

My first trip to Brighton, on a coach tour from Yorkshire, and I had been a little apprehensive having read some bad reviews. All I can say to them is that socks must have been pulled up a long way. My room was more than adequate, with superbly comfortable bed. Furniture was a little tired, but I didn't expect Waring & Gillows. Ok, the view wasn't the best, but hey...I was going in there to sleep, not stare out of the window. The food was excellent, and I speak as a professional caterer. I cannot praise the staff enough. Nothing was too much trouble for any of them, especially the lovely Philip and Matt. They put the icing on the cake for my party. Bouquets all round.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room. (I didn't, but heard staff mention it to someone else)
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Mary S
Paul W, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your fabulous review and was a delight to read.

Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night and regretted it. The bed looked like someone had just got out of it, carpet was dirty and the bathroom was a disaster zone. The tiles were cracked and discoloured on both the walls and floor, towels were left in the bath not on the towel warmer. Shower was cold and there was hair all around the sink and bath. There has got to be better places to stay in Brighton than this surely!

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
7 Thank PMills2000
Dear Reviewer

I was very dissapointed to read your review and have contacted you via Tripadvisor to ask for further information.

Paul Wright

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Last stayed here about 30 years ago and several owners ago. The hotel has been modernised to quite a degree and has lost a lot of its original old fashioned charm. However it is now brighter and smarter looking.

Our room, 207 was a twin bed room facing the side of the hotel and directly opposite the dustbins of the hotel next door. This was Not an issue and only mentioned because for some reason, someone at The a Thistle hotel deems it necessary to chuck away a load of glass at about 5.30am each morning! Unsurprisingly this regular loud noise woke us. (A complaint was made to their duty manager who was not aware of the problem).

The room was neat and clean and we were lucky to have a large electric fan to help cool the room at night. We had the usual room facilities of tea/coffee making facilities, hair dryer, TV.

Another thing I would like to mention was very good wifi connection not only in the reception and lounges but, we were told, all over the hotel. I can confirm the wifi in our room was good.

The hotel dies apparently have a gym but I never saw or used it and therefore cannot comment further on it.

Breakfast at the Old Ship was completely self service and there was a good choice of cereals, hot food, juices etc.

The major difference that we found was the very nice was the addition of an outside lounge area at the front of the hotel with rattan armchairs and coffee tables and large umbrellas which because we had wonderful weather, was more of a necessity than anything else.

For anyone not familiar with the location of this hotel I can confirm it is directly opposite the beach and is between a 5-10 min walk in one direction to reach The Lanes (a series of narrow passages of shops), in another direction to reach Brighton's Pier and Aquarium. In another direction to the main shopping centre and of course only slightly longer to walk to the famous Brighton Pavilion.

Personally I found the cost of buying food/meals from the hotel was rather expensive, especially silly considering the vast range of restaurants and other eateries nearby.

Room Tip: Sea views were offered at £40 per night extra. Personally I would say although nice, definitely not...
2 Thank Edgware2011
Dear Reviewer

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and particularly you enjoyed the outside dining. We regaularly check our pricing against the local restaurant and bars to ensure we are not out priced.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2014

We stayed here for two nights with tesco club card vouchers which is the only reason we didn't complain about the room. The view was disgusting and as you can see from the picture, included what I guess is a bag of faeces as that's what it looked like! The duvet didn't fit in the cover and had brown stains on (also pictured). The room was dusty, especially under the dressing table and there were stains on carpet and marks on wall which looked like damp. Breakfast was ok and had a good variety but the museli was sugar laden and the bacon was fatty and the sausages cheap! The location was ideal and staff friendly but had I been paying I would have complained right away as £230 for two nights isn't cheap!!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank NatMatt8789
Paul W, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review.

Seaview rooms are available at a supplements and can even be booked using your tesco vouchers.

I was dissapointed to read your comments regarding the duvets as new duvets have only recently been purchased and will address this with my housekeeping department.

I am sorry you did not raise this during your stay and assure you that this will be actioned

Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2014

I stayed here on business, and upon checking in, after an incredibly tiring day at work, I asked what I needed to do to get room service, and was told to call a number from the phone in my room. After 10 mins of calling and not getting an answer, I was finally told that I would have to wait until after 9.30pm to get dinner. By this point I'd showered and put on some pyjamas...! Food eventually arrived at 10pm.
The room was absolutely lovely, the bathroom was spacious, nice tv, king sized bed. It is a noisy hotel though, as it's on the seafront, so there were a lot of other guests walking past at the small hours.
In future I'll be staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for one in a quiet part of the hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Natasha I
Paul W, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

It was dissapointing to read that you found you had trouble getting room service and will ensure this will be reviewed with my operations team.