“Tired Hotel”
Review of The Old Ship Hotel

The Old Ship Hotel
Ranked #18 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Not sure where to start. Booked into rooms with my family for a wedding we attended at the hotel. Recently refurbished, apparently. We were met with damp and peeling walls and were put in a dark and dank part of the hotel. However, I was offered alternative rooms when I complained, which were bigger but remained in a condition which did not reflect newly refurbished as suggested. The public parts of the hotel are conducive with 4* but unfortunately this was not so for the rooms. Quite why the hotel group chose to refurbish rooms in a part of the hotel in which you could not secure a sea view is beyond me. I would have thought you could sell rooms at a better price which had recently been refurbished and had a fantastic sea view? That all said, the breakfast was very good and offered a good selection. In short, this hotel is tired and painting over the cracks is not going to solve a more fundamental problem that obviously exists with its fabric. I wouldn't say don't stay here but don't expect four star quality rooms.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Suejpotts
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Many thanks for your review.

We have refurbished 32 bedrooms along Ship Street with a further 48 Seaview rooms to commence very shortly.

Seaview rooms and the superior rooms will incur a supplement

There are newer reviews for The Old Ship Hotel

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Going on holiday, whether it is for just several days or longer, is often fraught with concern of the hotel where one stays. A large part of this concern focuses itself on the standards, the staff, food and especially – the room. It is for this reason that people such as me, depend largely on Trip Advisor for guidance. Such was the case when friends invited me to join them for the New Year celebrations in Brighton.
I discovered we would be staying in The Old Ship Hotel, right on the seafront, a premier position for any hotel, especially one that has the distinction of 4 Stars. A quick study of Trip Advisor was instantly paramount!
Contrary to some others, I am pleased to report The Old Ship surpassed my highest expectation, with wonderful hospitality, warm greetings on our arrival from the management, courteous staff, a very nice room, that joy-of-joys, an extremely comfortable bed! The rook would have done justice to that most discerning of guests – Poirot!
The hotel was just like home, with all the comforts this affords the most demanding of guests
My next surprise existed in the exquisite food provided at every meal. When not dining, there was plenty to do to pass the time if the weather was inclement. This included afternoon and evening entertainment.
I was pleased to discern a number of comfortable sitting rooms are provided for guests, with a ready supply of complimentary daily newspapers. This is where one is able to laze around, to enjoy the direct sea views.
For me, the cherry on the cake is that all of this is within an easy walk of the shops and world-famous 'Lanes'.
Prior to my visit, I had read various reviews on Trip Advisor, which thankfully proved quite misleading. They certainly did not reflect my experience, or that of my companions. Not only would I highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a place to stay in Brighton, but we also plan a return trip there to celebrate next New Year. Now, that is a real compliment!

Room Tip: The hotel will help you decide on your room, if you telephone them in advance.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank Reverend Richar... d

Thank you very much for your fabulous review.

It was a delight to read and we look forward to welcoming you back again next new year, if not before.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We have stayed in many hotels at home and abroad and we consider our experience at the Old Ship as one of the very best. All the staff could not be more friendly and helpful and the food was excellent.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your fantastic review and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Happy New Year!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

The staff were very friendly & helpful but having paid extra for a superior room we were very disappointed. The heating was not working, the TV didn't work on some channels & the toilet roll holder was missing the screws that attach it to the wall. We had specifically decided to pay more for a superior room as we were due to stay for 3 nights but also found the room somewhat small for a superior room. It is in a good location. We popped out & found another hotel further down the seafront for about the same price with a bigger room that was warm!

3  Thank stephbean2

Many thanks for your review.

I was dissapointed to read your feedback and will investigate further.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

My wife and I arrived about 3 pm,on a very windy rainy day,Reception staff were very professional,and dealt with us very quickly explaining where every thing was.We put our cases in to room and went to the bar,again Staff nice smiles,I look across the bar to see that you serve Black Sheep Bitter and IPA,and a sign saying Try Our Real Ales,then to be told by the Bar staff that you had run out of Bitter :-( ,I had to have a pint of Larger much to my disapointment.this makes me very cross as I have been to some very top class hotel's who will not sell bitter (not even in Bottles)Any way I didn't want to spoil my stay,my wife had a bar snack,and her usual drink.I then got talking to another Barman who explained that the reason for not having the Bitter was because some one in there wisdom decided to send barrels back because they hadn't been drunk,over the Christmas break,I know it's a fine line but they could have kept one. We were booked into Paggine suite for the New Years dance,There was A barrel of Tetleys Bitter,being sold so not all was lost. Well the food was excellent,nice amount of people,It's been a long time since I've been to such a good Disco,the DJ's played music that people wanted,not what they wanted,I asked for several artists and they played them all,It make's such a nice change.Sleep wasn't brilliant as I have described further down the page.Breakfast What a lovely welcome from your staff,Food excellent.Booking out Some different staff but still very proffesional I can only remember one name that was Sarah what a lovely young lady,she should go far,and her Team as well,As I said before Fantastic stay will try to come back next year. :-) Many Thanks,and A Happy New Year to you all.

Room Tip: We were on the Eastern side facing the Thistle Hotel,With window firmly shut could hear all people...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your fantastic review and am so pleased you enjoyed your stay.

We are re-looking at our supply of bitter to a longer lasting brand.

We look forward to welcoming you back again and have a great 2014

Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Just arrived home from our New Year's Eve break with our little dog & we had a wonderful stay! We have stayed at this hotel many times before with our dog & we always receive a really warm welcome. For a big hotel, the staff offer a really personal touch & this makes it all so much better. The hotel accommodated us perfectly by seating us downstairs in the Afternoon Tea Room, & laid out a party table for us so beautifully. We even had party hats, streamers, crackers, tinsel - everything. They did all this so we could have our little dog with us. The lovely David waited on our table & it's such a pleasure to see his smiling face, & all the other staff too, the gorgeous Gill in the dining room & all the wonderful reception staff. The staff had even placed a dog bed & bowl in our room - so cool! Thank you! Our sea view room was really comfortable, just to our liking, & I can't wait to come back again. Thank for a lovely New Year's Eve, great people, great food, great hotel. Many thanks!

• Stayed: December 2013

Thank you for your fantastic review and am so pleased you enjoyed your stay

We look forward to welcoming you back again and have a great 2014

Reviewed January 1, 2014

All staff so friendly,helpful and efficient.Working hard over the holiday period for the enjoyment of others.
Very good breakfast selection and set meals too.
In a good position to seafront ,shops and other attractions.

We booked in together, as two couples, quite a while ago, and expected to have rooms next to each other(usually happens) but found that we were even on 2 different floors! Asked to change but hotel full so unable to.
This showed the difference - 4th floor room much more spacious and modern , our 2nd floor room much smaller and needed modernisation - also got a lot of noise from outside - needed a new window I think.
Really needed better weather to get around Brighton - something definitely beyond your control!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your great review and wish you a very happy new year.

Room allocation will depend on the type of rooms booked and bed types. Where possible we will try to allocate rooms together if requested and am sorry this was not done.