The Old Ship Hotel
Legends Hotel(Brighton)(Great Value!)
$76
$73
  • Breakfast included
Ibis Brighton City Centre Station(Brighton)(Great Value!)
$82
$150
$139
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Brighton(Brighton)(Great Value!)
$113
Malmaison Brighton(Brighton)(Great Value!)
$154
$146
2,554 results
All reviewssea viewsea frontceiling fanbox of chocolateslovely hotelcar parknoisy at nightearly hourssuperior roomshort breakideal locationpublic areasthird floorbrighton seafronttwo night staybreakfast was excellentlovely room
Reviewed December 1, 2013

A charming old style hotel complete with original elevator in one section of the hotel. Wonderful views from the front rooms, comfy beds and lovely staff. A couple of points lost on overly heated rooms, terrible hot water service and "free wifi" that worked in about 1% of the areas within the hotel. Breakfast was amazing and included in price. Parking however was expensive at £23 overnight or £2.30 per hour.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Yet again I left this hotel really happy with every part of my stay. Beautiful sea views. The room was clean and the bed so very comfortable. Room service was excellent and dining in the restaurant a joy. Great food and choices. Location is superb for many reasons. The seafront, the pier, good restaurants nearby and shopping in The Lanes. I always stay here when visiting Brighton and highly recommend it. It IS very noisy outside at times but the hotel even provided earplugs! A big thumbs up from me!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Margo2405

Thank you for your great review and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

The service here was good with genuinely friendly and helpful staff. However, my room was poor. I realised they were refitting rooms and I might not get one of those, but this was one of the worst rooms I have had for a very long time. Like others have said, the furniture does not fit, but the walls were covered in dirty scuff marks, the carpets were dirty and the lighting was poor. How they can put 4 stars up outside I don't know - it really isn't that kind of place and the room was too bad to call quirky or unique.

I used the very good gym but sadly as I got out of the shower in my room afterwards I found both of the towels were dirty - one had what appeared to be dried blood on it, the other some miscellaneous stains in the middle. It was grim and no matter what refit may be due, there is no excuse for poor cleaning and dirty towels.

The breakfast is really good - cooked to order and not a long wait. I had dinner on the first night and that was good too and again the service was good.

I didn't find much character in what is an interesting old building with a lot of history. A lot what I saw was a very unsympathetic 70s modernisation that hasn't been sorted yet, which is a pity. The communal areas are nice but there was no real character to them.

I didn't get any of the noise that others have commented on, but then I was stuck round the back, so it was quiet but I had an awful view that didn't compensate for the bad room.

I wouldn't stay here again as it was like a poor b&b and needs a lot of work.

Room Tip: I imagine a sea view is worth having, but there was nothing to recommend about the room I had.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Andrew R

Thank you for your review.

Refurbished rooms are available at a supplement charge, There is no excuse for the dirty towels and I will address this with my housekeeper.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel a few times now and have enjoyed every visit, we always book a sea view room and okay the rooms are a bit scruffy and no doubt need a refurbish, odd taps and a few busted floor tiles and so on are all signs of a well used room, and being an old building it's a bit quirky, but I love this place the staff are very friendly and it has something I can't quite put my finger on I have no desire to stay anywhere else in Brighton The old Ship is in a great location close to all you need, it can be noisy at night [not a fault of the hotel it's the vibrant night life] but the staff can give you ear plugs, I rate it very highly and as soon a I leave I want to return both to this fine establishment and Brighton, the NCP car park opposite the hotels car park is 24hr and very convienient thinking of staying here? DO IT it's cosy friendly wonderful place to stay, and the restaurant is fantastic and that is very unusual as a I tend to avoid hotel restaurants like the plague this one is exceptional

1  Thank RonLT

Many thanks for your review and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

We are hoping to start the refurbishment to all the seaviews and the beginning of the new year

Reviewed November 27, 2013

We booked this through secret escapes so had a good deal. The hotel is comfortable and roomy. The staff are very helpful and went out of their way to make our stay great.
Our room was on the third floor and was large with a comfortable bed. The bathroom was well stocked and both were very clean.
The car park was our only gripe as it was very expensive and should ave been cheaper for guests.
The food is excellent and it was a shame so few guests were in the restaurant as it was so good.
I would recommend this hotel and will stay again when we go back but hope they will reduce the cost of parking for guests. Also the car park closes early so no good if you are going out for the evening.

Room Tip: You could hear people walking by a little so I agree that third floor and above for a quieter night
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review and am pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Residents will pay less for parking than non residents and is overall cheaper for 24hours than the Lanes Car Park