“Steak on sea- horrific” 1 of 5 bubbles

The Old Ship Hotel
Ranked #14 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
“Steak on sea- horrific”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stopped today for lunch and I am compelled to write a review. We were coldly met by I suspect a female manager as she was wearing a suit compared to the waitresses. We asked if we could sit for food and she didn't even make eye contact with me to say yes. She said Jodie would serve us who was a young girl in her 20's. she took our drink order and food order swiftly. After receiving our drinks in good time we then waited a RIDICULOUS 45 minutes for a chicken and cheese wrap and some lamb kofta's. when I went to investigate where our food was Jodie nor manager was anywhere in sight so I asked a female bar tender. She informed me that she didn't know anything about our food as 'Jodie' had finished her shift and went to ask the chef. The bartender then returned 10 minutes later with our food with no explanation and no apology. My boyfriend and I both agreed that if we were not so hungry and had not already paid for our food, we would have most definitely left and gone else were.
Finally when the food did come the wrap was as dry as a bone, lamb kofta's rock hard and had most defiantly been under the hot light for a while.
I've never encountered bad service like it.
I would highly appreciate a reply from a manager

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Galu28
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your review and giving me the further information I requested when I contacted you.

The issues have now been resolved and further training has been given to the team and hope you will return to us as we have discussed.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (586)
Mabank, Texas, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed for a few days, nice hotel, pleasant staff, cooked breakfast was a welcome start to the day but was cold.

On our final night my younger sister decided rather than drive back home she would also spend the night. Not cheap at all at 180 pounds... but that's what you get for booking at the desk and it being a 4* hotel right? The room should have been wonderful one would think?

I went to collect her the next day and the smell of drying paint was terrible, it had actually made her poorly the next day. I was with her when she complained about this at the desk. The lady at the desk was very pleasant but offered no resolution to this. When my sister had driven off I went back and said that really was not acceptable, and a 'on behalf of the hotel I apologize' does not really cut it when you are sold a room that's not fit for purpose. Personally I would rather stay in a grubby room than a freshly painted one that stank of paint. I don't see how a freshly decorated room that you can't sleep in is something she should have been grateful for?
The lady promised a manager would call me that night, they didn't. When we checked out I complained again, with the lady saying my sister should have complained at check out for them to do something, BUT SHE DID!! I spoke to another manager, again very nice, gave me the hotel manager's business card and assured me they would call my sister on the Monday. They didn't. My sister had to email them and I also sent an email to confirm everything she had said. I got a very generic reply from the manager of The Old Ship basically saying they would make future guests aware of this. What good is that?

Again you would think a 4 * hotel would offer a resolution but she was offered no such thing, just a very hollow apology. There will probably be a reply under this review along the lines of extensive renovations, whatever, The Old Ship is concerned with money not guests.

Room Tip: The upgrade to the beach facing rooms is well worth the money, great view. It is a little noisy outs...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tim S
Thank you for your review.

As explained to your sister by leaving it to the time of departure to state the room smelt of paint would not allow us to be able to resolve the issue. I was surprised that if the smell was as bad as you stated that this was not highlighted on arrival.

We are undergoing a major refurbishment programme in the hotel and the room your sister was in had been returned to us two weeks prior and several guests being in the room.

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Strabane, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Great location on the sea front, very near pier. Very good value for bed and breakfast. Room comfortable and clean, although the window needed a good cleaning! I'll excuse given that there was scaffolding outside across the road which may have been producing dust.Staff were welcoming and friendly, breakfast very good standard. Only down side, it can be noisy outside at night as there is a fish and chip shop just beside where young people gather on their way home, in fact there was a fight there on one of the nights! having said that it didn't bother us much and overall I would recommend the 'old ship', really enjoyed our two nights there.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking fish and chip shop, can be noisy!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank clarebradraff
Thank you for your great review and we look forward to welcoming you back again.
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Booked a standard double including breakfast direct with the hotel. l arrived at 10.30am although check in wasn't until 2pm, they informed me that they had upgraded me to a superior room which would be ready at 2pm, they looked after my luggage until check in time which gave me ample time to have a walk round The Lanes in Brighton.. which are on the doorstep of the Hotel. When l came back at 2pm my room was ready, on entering the room.... l have to say my first gut reaction was omg the windows are filthy! lol, but to be fair it was on the outside and not in...l am glad to say. Once the blinds were pulled down you didn't notice, and being opposite another hotel it was best to pull the blinds down!. A very spacious room pleasantly decorated with everything you needed, tea coffee etc, Bathroom was slightly small but not a problem. The bed was very comfortable as were the pillows... which is hard to find in hotels. Breakfast was served between 7am-10am and was greeted by a very smiley happy person who was only to pleased to help you. Huge selection for breakfast which would keep you going all day! Would l stay here again, YES.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank lovelondon2
Bremen, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

We visited this hotel for the third year running no, w, and every stay has been a delight!
The hotel is full of character, the location couldn't be better, and the staff make you feel like a king (or queen). We were once again a group of 6 and everyone left delighted after 4 days.
The breakfast is certainly the best in Brighton, and the real reason we will keep coming back and recommending this hotel is Gillian, your host for breakfast - who looks after everyone so well that every day starts with a smile, Thank you Old Ship (you are all great!) and thank you Gillian!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank DavidBrianJones
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel 4 times now over the last 5 years and every time has been lovely.
For those arriving by train like myself, its a straight 10 minute walk down to the seafront from the station so easy to get to ! Its a lovely old hotel with beautiful interiors and rooms are a good size with lovely bathrooms. If you manage to get a sea view its wonderful, with view of the old skeleton pier to your right and the amusement pier to your right.
The road beside the hotel leads up to an ares where there are lots of restaurants and bars for your night out, and is also within walking distance of the Lanes.
Great value with a great view, my first choice every time I go to Brighton!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your fantastic review and we look forward to welcomg you back again
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

top location. comfy bed and good breakfast options. room rather tired- paper starting to peel . public areas feel rather like any 'plastic' business hotel which is a shame and especially so given the elegant bones of the building. rather shouty ads everywhere for the gym, breakfast and tea. choice of muzak was odd and annoying - greatest hits of the 70s at breakfast and george michael at night. rather made the place feel cheap rather than elegant. bedsite light niot fixed despite reporting twice. food trays left in corridors for 18 hours. so, all in all it was OK and we got a decent deal, but could have been SO much better

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. I am sorry you encountered some shortfalls during your stay and where possible immediate action has been taken

I hope that despite this you will visit us again