“Lovely traditional hotel - full of character with friendly staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Old Ship Hotel

The Old Ship Hotel
Ranked #14 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Sunbury-On-Thames, United Kingdom
“Lovely traditional hotel - full of character with friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

We had booked to go to the Theatre Royal on the Saturday night and at the last minute decided to make a weekend of it so booked to stay at the Old Ship. My cursor was hovering over my default 'Room only' selection when I noticed that bed and breakfast was £15/night *less*. I'm not sure if that was a mistake or an oversight but naturally went for that option.

I did some research on parking before leaving home; I initially thought the hotel's rate of £23/day to be almost extortion but the current Brighton & Hove council is fairly anti-car (or anti-parking at any rate!) as their charges can be £3.50/hour or more. I dropped my partner and our bags at the door of the hotel and drove to the (free) parking in residential streets near Preston Park station which is £2.50 for the 4-minute ride back into Brighton. We splashed out on a taxi back to the car which was less than a tenner so we were still quids in.

When I arrived at the hotel the security guard asked for my room key and as I hadn't yet checked in led me to reception. Unlike some other reviewers I found the presence of security to be reassuring considering the hotel is right on the sea front and so close to Brighton's restaurants, bars and clubs. The receptionist was genuinely welcoming and friendly and I was soon on my way to my second floor room.

I was really impressed by the size of the room, the bathroom was nearly as big as some hotel rooms I've stayed in! There was a built-on wardrobe, a dressing table, plenty of storage and even 2 irons and ironing boards (although the last bit seemed a little excessive!) There was no air conditioning but the ceiling fan seemed to do a pretty good job. The bed was very comfortable and we had a good night's sleep both nights.

Breakfast was a joyous occasion, the maître d’ was really friendly and welcoming and showed us to our table via the large buffet. She also remembered us the next day. There's a wide choice of food served right through until 11am at the weekend: I have quite a large appetite but couldn't manage lunch on either day.

The only evidence of the ongoing refurbishment we noticed were some cable reels and the smell of fresh paint in one of the corridors: neither of these things detracted from our stay in any way. The hotel is a definite departure from the homogeneity of many hotel chains, and has a great deal to recommend it. I'm sure we'll be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Many thanks for your fantastic review.

We are under a refurbishment at present and am trying to keep any disruption to a minimum.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed here whilst on a works get together and whilst the hotel wasn't that bad I don't think it justified the 4 star rating. Having stayed in a lot of hotels through overnight business stays I know I have stayed in a lot better 3 star hotels compared to this. I appreciate that a major refurb is planned but that still didn't account for the little touches that are missing from what you should see in a 4 star hotel....sadly the old ship still has a long way to go in this regard. It's also very noisy due to it being on a thorough fare from the main bars and clubs in Brighton and as the windows are very old it doesn't make for a great nights sleep, better windows are definitely something that needs some investment! The one thing that did brighten up my day was the maitre de who was working at breakfast time... She is an asset to the hotel with her friendly and extremely happy nature!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Lucy K
Many thanks for your review.

We are fully accredited as a 4 star hotel.

Planning permission is being sought again to replace the windows and we are hopeful that this time the authorities will pass the plan. Unfortunatly being partly listed and in a conservation area it is not a straight forward process.
Milton Keynes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

It's clear that there are on going works at this hotel with painters and decorators around down stairs in the main reception areas. I have read that there are works on going in the bedrooms and that's as maybe but I didnt see any evidence of any - that's not to say there isn't. My room was on the 5th floor at the rear with no view of anything except walls, roofs and air extraction units (which incidentally are very noisy but seemed to go off at 11pm). I had an old room. The bathroom was more 2 star..possibly one star, with paint peeling from the window frame and black mould around the window. The toilet had a sign on it saying that the hotel was aware that the toilet was corroded and the tiles around the bath needed a good clean with dried on water marks from the shower.

Finally, wifi - this worked but cheekily although its free what you dont realise when you book is its only 500mbps speed - if you want a faster connection you have to pay.

There isn't a great deal I can recommend about this hotel but will say that the scrambled eggs were to die for, lovely and creamy...not like the dried up rubbery stuff you get at some hotels .

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank newrangerfamily

Along with public areas we are currently refurbishing 32 bedrooms with phase 2 for all seaview rooms now in final planning stages

I hope we welcome you back again soon
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

There is much to like about this hotel. It is very old, it is very historic and parts of it are charming and elegant. It has an excellent location and many rooms overlook the beach. It didn't bother us about the creaky floorboards and even creakier old lift, it just made the place more characterful. Our room was on the 4th floor and was of an excellent size and view. The breakfast is plentiful and the staff are, in general, excellent. It definitely needs a refurbishment but it didn't bother us that it was tired and dated and shabby but given the price isn't in line with the fixtures and fittings or general standard you expect from £200 a night and 4 stars.

The downsides are the hotels confusion whether it is a hen/stag venue or not and I think it currently tries to appeal to all potential customers and as a result, undoubtedly disappoints many of them. I didn't like the style or decor or branding of the bar or the restaurant. It felt like a cheap pub.

I didn't like pre paying £50 per night on my card in case of purchases I failed to pay for. This made me feel like a shoplifter when I hadn't done anything wrong and according to the receptionist, it's what all hotels do. Well not in my experience they don't. If you don't want people doing a bunk without paying, don't offer room service and don't offer payment on your room key. Simple.

I also didn't like (but totally understand) the security guards asking me to show my room key in order to get back into the hotel after midnight. This felt like being let into a nightclub and whilst it is obviously symptomatic of other issues the area sometimes suffers from it felt like we are all tarred with the same brush.

What does this hotel want to aim at? That is its ultimate question. The large group bookings when we stayed were perfectly amenable guests, that isn't really my point. Oh, and there are security fittings on the windows and sliding doors in the sea front rooms so you can't enjoy a nice breeze more than a couple of inches wide. It was noisy, but I was expecting that sadly as the seafront in Brighton is now a party motorway.

Room Tip: 415 is roomy and has a fabulous view. It's a bit shabby but it'll get you away marginally fr...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review.

The bar and restaurant have had a makeover before full plans commence in 2014. Our priority at present is to refurbish the bedrooms and window replacement.

Where possible we try to ensure that all guests have a great stay.

Pre-authorisations on Credit/Debit cards are standard and allow guests to charge onto their room accounts as they wish. Should guests not wish to leave a credit or debit card pre-authorisation then guests can pay the outlets as they go. Any hotel taking a "swipe" of a credit card will still be taking a pre-authorisation as we do.

It is the safety and security of guests and staff within the hotel that is paramount. Security is there to ensure this happens and was disspointed that you did not appreciate this.

Window restrictors are in place to avoid any guests from accidents and are not in place to stop smoking.
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

As a university society we hold a summer ball annually. This year we selected the Old Ship as the perfect venue, and it really was! From the very first visit all staff was extremely informative, and the room was beautiful.

Throughout the planning the staff were excellent in assisting, and organising the event following the requests of my self and the rest of the committee. This especially necessary as a final year student, I had very little time to nag and ask questions, instead the questions were answered and asked efficiently. This ongoing excellent communication continued up until the event which went ahead with very few problems (nothings perfect), and post event too to ensure the event ran smoothly.

Throughout the evening the food was delivered in an excellent timely manor, and was effectively organised so the staff knew where the food was going as opposed to asking each person

I would not hesitate in using the Old Ship Hotel again to host an event

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you ever so much for your great review

I am so pleased you enjoyed your event and hope we can welcome you back again for another
Swansea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Was booked here as part of a conference delegation while at the Brighton Conference centre.

This was the first time I'd stayed here, having been at a nearby national chain hotel a few minutes walk from here.

It turned out that my sister and mother had stayed at the Old ship a few years ago and said that it was central but it had very creaky floors, but that's what you get at old buildings.

Well it is a wonderful old building in Brighton made up of several buildings and I was in the original part of the hotel over looking a more "boutique" hotel down a side lane. This may be a side street but its in Brighton and is quite busy especially early in the morning with late night revellers heading from or to the beach. There's also an early morning pick up for the bins from the other hotel so its not the quietest of areas. But I didn't mind it.

First impression of the room (once I'd had my key card re-set, and not for the only time of the stay) wasn't too bad. The room was clean and the bathroom didn't look to bad. As I say its an old building and yes the floor boards do creak a lot!

The toilet pan is a little discoloured form age not use! to the point were housekeeping have a pre-printed card stating their aware of that. The bathroom wasn't dirty but could have done with a little TLC but the water pressure was good and the water hot. However a colleague in another room had no hot water for the duration of his stay and I believe he did raise this several times, but I wasn't going to offer him use of my shower!!!

The bed was comfortable with a supply of extra blankets and pillows available.

The tea/coffee tray didn't have any milk that this was resolved in the morning after I left a note.

The breakfast is self service buffet style but has a range of cold and hot dishes and when the bacon and sausages cooked (I like mine brown!) were very tasty.

I have to comment on the staff who were very friendly and always smiling. They were always happy to help whenever asked for something.

The venue is brilliant for the main Brighton Conference Centre with a short 5 minute flat walk to it. The more tourist sites of Brighton are very close with the pier and Pavilion also about 5 minutes walk.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
bournemouth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights with special offer rate so very good value. Had top floor room overlooking sea and it was brilliant to lie in bed and look at sea. Spacious room. More than happy with facilities although bathroom bit worn. There was an apology left from hotel saying it was going to be updated. Breakfast ok but food could be warmer. Really friendly staff there tho. Hotel very close to all of Brighton amenities so would definitely recommend for location.
Only complaint I might make is that there is no air con which I don't really expect in an old hotel but we had to open windows as it was really hot and had to endure a lot of street noise all night. It would be useful to have a room fan so that we didn't have to open windows but still have sea view room

• Stayed June 2013