“return visit to the old ship hotel”
Review of The Old Ship Hotel

The Old Ship Hotel
Ranked #18 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed March 18, 2013

booked again last visit was nov 2012 another great two night stay, fab location .clean room great staff and lovely breakfast perfect location and views of the sea .The bath arms in the lanes behind the hotel , oldest pub in brighton worth a visit wiill definately be returning soon

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Many thanks for your fantastic review.

I hope you will return soon.

There are newer reviews for The Old Ship Hotel

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Me and my daughter checked in for a two night stay. What a fantastic location!!! Lovely, clean hotel, very friendly staff, nothing too much trouble. Fab breakfast and great service. I don't know what people find to moan about, I cannot fault it and would most definately stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Many thanks for your fantastic review.

I hope you will return soon.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Over all the hotel was very good, and the first impressions were very good too. Overall the staff were very helpful. The bar staff were exceptionally good.

We were disappointed with the reception staff at check out time and they tried to over charge us, but we had the paperwork to prove our rate. They changed it, but it shouldn't have happened.

We were iun a very nice room that had just been redecorated. Obviuosly, JUST been redecorated as it still had a strong smell of paint.

So, we have mixed memories of our weekend at this hotel.

Room Tip: Very noisy from passing revellers up to 4am
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

I am sorry there was an error on your bill but pleased reception were able to recitify this.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed here as the hotel had a deal on a double ensuite room.

The room was 'average'. It was nicely decorated and clean, and I guess a lot can be said for that. However, there was nothing special about it and the view we had was of the building next door so nothing spectacular.

The rest of the hotel was decorated nicely, but makes me wonder whether it's a case of 'fur coat no knickers' as you don't necessarily get what you think you will on seeing the reception and dining areas.

I suspect you have to pay a lot more for a really decent room.

The best bit was the breakfast - plenty of it and there was a lady who was overseeing everything (wish I could remember her name) but she called the pastry table the 'naughties'. She was lovely and brought some personality to the hotel :-)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review.

Seaview rooms do come at a small premium but please you enjoyed the breakfast.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

A genuine surprise - a lovely afternoon tea with a lovely sea view, good quality food and drinks shame we couldm't have had the more comfortable seating area but that had been booked by a large party which then never turned up!!

Room Tip: If you want a more traditional atmosphere try the Grand but very good value, nice service and lopv e...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SlimBF

Thank you for your review about our afternoon tea.

We have large lounge areas overlooking the seafront and is particularly good value for money compared to some other hotels.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

A fine hotel in a very central position on the promenade and beside the shops. We got a great deal for the weekend with a very comfortable room and an excellent breakfast. The staff were very friendly especially Ahmed,on the night reception. At a very busy checkout extra staff came to help out which greatly reduced the waiting time.
If the moaning guests want a peaceful evening without noise, well they shouldn't be in Brighton at the weekend.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your excellent review and in particular regarding Ahmed

Great feedback - thank you

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed at the Old Ship this past weekend on Friday & Saturday night (8th-10th March). I stay in Brighton at least 3-4 times a year and have stayed in quite a few of the hotels…. This one isn’t my preference but seeing as I managed to get a really good deal on Travel Republic for £68.50 a night in a twin room with breakfast, I couldn’t really go wrong!

I wouldn’t generally leave such an essay on a hotel, but I really feel like they have been given a lot of poor reviews which are not deserved!

Before I stay anywhere, I always check out trip – I actually stayed here before a couple of years ago & didn’t particularly like it – this is before the renovations started. When reading the reviews, I was quite surprised at all of the negative ones – but having just stayed there, I think some people have unrealistic expectations for a hotel in an old building which is currently undergoing a lot of renovating. The downstairs area is now complete & it is very pleasant – lovely bar & restaurant.

Check In:
Great – very quick. We were early & I tried to upgrade to a double room but these were all sold out – nether the less, the staff were still very polite & helpful and let us check in anyway.

Room:
We were on the 5th floor, slightly facing the sea & mostly towards the thistle hotel. Couldn’t go wrong – we had two large single beds next to each other which were very comfy & everything was clean – I don’t go to Brighton to stay in my room 24/7, I go to sleep & wash – if I wanted a luxury one, I would pay to stay at one & these are far more expensive!

My only complainant for the hotel is the noise – I thought that being on the 5th floor it would be quiet… wrong! They have no double glazing & you can hear all the drunks at 4.30am in the morning – don’t get me wrong, I fell asleep at about 1am deep in alcohol which would make me out for the count, but it was SO loud, it woke both my partner & I up.

Restaurant:
We had breakfast included in our overnight package – fab. Its opening until 11am on a Saturday & Sunday which is great as we are out late the night before, & it is a buffet. You help yourself to tea & coffee, juices, cakes/pastries/ toast, cheese/ham, fruit & yogurts & then the cooked selection.

The hotel is in great location, right on the sea front with all the lanes behind you – the main car park is also just a two minute walk away (they have got a car park, but for the sake of being £2 a night cheaper, I would rather park in the main one where it is security protected!)

Still not my favourite hotel, but I would now happily stay here again!

Room Tip: Seeing as all rooms will be loud, the 5th floor will still probably be the quietest!
1  Thank Demi P

I personnally review all guest feedback and where possible immediate changes are made.

Our refrubishment is currently underway and where needed new windows will be installed with acoustic glass to try to reduce to noise issue from outside.

We look forward to welcoming you back