“Pleasantly surprised!”
Review of The Old Ship Hotel

The Old Ship Hotel
Ranked #17 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed January 29, 2013

After reading some of the negative reviews, we were a bit worried about staying at this hotel., particularly as it was a birthday gift from our children. However, the staff were very helpful and friendly, particularly Gillian who handled the breakfasts and the young man on reception who brought us an extra heater and blanket for the very cold night that we stayed. The hotel is perfectly located being close to the Lanes and Jamie's restaurant in the next street. It may have a few quirks but nothing that one wouldn't expect from a hotel of this age and character. If you want modern perfection then stay in one of the hotel chain boxes. But if you want the old charm and grandeur then this is the hotel to choose, especially as the rooms were at a very reasonable price.

Wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: We were in room 342 which was fine and a good size.
1  Thank mbarrett56
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Many thanks for your review.

As the oldest hotel in Brighton and a listed building we are full of character and "quirks". I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and that you found the team here helpfull.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Regards

Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed at The Old Ship over the weekend. The hotel location couldn't be beaten. We were lucky enough to have a sea view room. What a view !! The room was clean & comfortable. The bathroom was fine. The rooms are looking a little tired. But overall was happy and satisfied. Breakfast was good. Good choices but the hot food could have been a bit hotter. Staff friendly and helpful. Hotel has recently been taken over by the Puma group so hopefully they will be investing in this very historic building and bringing it back to glory.

Room Tip: Have a Sea View Room
1  Thank Linda2369

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and now that we are part of the Puma Hotels Collection refurbishment will commence including bedrooms, corridors and a resident only gym

Regards

Reviewed January 27, 2013

This hotel is steeped in history and proudly stands In a prominent location on Brighton sea front. On entering you get the feeling of a bygone age due to the tired decor. The receptionist was very polite and helpful but I couldn't help noticing that her keyboard for the computer was raised from the desk on a home made chipboard stand which looked crudely thrown together. The lift to the second floor was very small and old but had character. Wow when we got out we were met by a labyrinth of narrow uneven floored corridors. Eventually we found our room which thankfully was at the rear of the hotel. The room was a good size and nicely presented but the light switch didn't appear to turn anything on. The wall lights had pull cords and bedside lamps were operated by nearby wall switches...strange! The bathroom appeared to have been recently updated but had a strange smell. All in all the room was pleasant. During the night I was awoken by the toilet cistern continually filling itself. The bed was comfortable and provided a reasonable sleep. In the morning I turned the shower on and was adjusting the temperature when the water stopped flowing but I could hear it running. I think a pipe inside the wall had come loose. I managed to run a bath and couldn't wait for breakfast. The dining room furniture was extremely tired. The seat covers were very old and I swapped one chair as it was covered in white paint stains. The breakfast was ok. We checked out telling the receptionist about the problems in bathroom etc. she didn't offer an apology or anything and took our payment.
This hotel has a great location and was fairly cheap for a one night stay. It could seriously do with modernising. Would I stay again probably not.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

I am sorry for the dissapoinment you experienced and assure you that all feedback is fully reviewed and where possible action taken.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stayed here for one night in a standard double room. The room was very clean and confortable with all the needed features i.e tea and coffee, hair dryer, tv. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was lovely!

GREAT value for money and directly opposite the sea. Only complaints are that the lift was very old and slow, but did its job. And the corridoors were a bit grubby. Other than that the hotel reception area was lovely, room was fantastic and staff were very friendly. Would definently stay here again :)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review.

I was pleased you enjoyed your stay. As we are now part of the Puma Hotel Colleciton we will be commencing refurbishment works shortly including all corridors.

I look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

You can not fault the hotels location, right on the sea front!!! The staff are also incredibly friendly and helpful!!! However, do not stay here if u want to sleep!!! It is currently 2am and the noise coming through the non double glazed windows is horrendous!!!! Screaming, shouting, car horns!!! I have a small baby and I amazed she is still asleep!!! It is going to be a very long night!!!! Wish someone had warned me about the noise problem b4 I bOoked!!! It's cheap but for a gd nights sleep I would happily have paid more!!!!

• Stayed: January 2013

I am sorry you were distrubed from guests outside the hotel.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great location but extremely noisy if you are at the front due to drunks from nightclubs going home! still shouting and screaming at 05.30hrs. Dont pay for sea view if you want a quiet nights sleep, ask for room at the back! dont go to American Diner on the corner after show. On door closing time is 22.30hrs. We were all turned away at 21.55hrs! obviouslly not worried about taking money.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry if people outside the hotel disturbed your stay. The Diner is not ours so I cannot comment on this.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Really liked the Old Ship, I managed to secure a great rate via TravelRepublic and was more than happy with everything on offer. From the chap who checked me in, which was very efficient. Having booked online, I literally had to show my confirmation and was then given my room key and on my way.

The lift to the rooms is via the bar which was spacious enough for this size of hotel. One gripe possibly is that there seemed to be only one rickety old lift, this was fine but my room was on the 4th floor and I did find it easier sometimes to walk up and down rather than wait around.

The rooms were fine, spacious and you can pay for a sea-view I didn't this time around as I wasn't planning on spending too much time in there. The free wi-fi is a bonus, it's a little patchy in its connectivity, that said it's free and was adequate.

Sound enough sleep, no noise and this was at the weekend so really pleased with that. The breakfast was fantastic, really good selection of juices, cereals, bread and hot food that included sausages, mushrooms, bacon, egg, beans, hash browns and much more.

Well worth the money and if you shop around and get a good deal then even better. I have stayed in a good few hotels in Brighton now and this is definitely up there with the best in terms of value.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you ever so much for your review

I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay including the free wifi

We very much look forward to welcoming you back