“Fan-ruddy-tastic!”

Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Waterlooville, United Kingdom
“Fan-ruddy-tastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Arrived late on Friday night to explore brighton on Saturday. The reception guys greeted is very warmly. As we went to our room we got a little lost and it seemed the floor boards creaked more and more the further away from the lift we got, but no great problem and made my girlfriend and I both laugh. Sleep time came and when we tried to open window or turn ceiling fan on, neither would budge so a quick trip to reception, who explained that they had trouble with smokers leaning out the windows some rooms had the windows sealed shut. The receptionist moved us to another room, really wish I had got his name cos this guys customer service skills go above and beyond the expected... Slept in our new room like a pair of New.born Babies. Woke up and used the shower which was fantastically hot and high pressure. Checked out with no fuss and ready to take on whatever brighton has to show us. Fantastic hotel would stay again.

• Stayed January 2013
PW-GeneralManager, Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you very much for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
Banbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

My wife recently took me to The Old Ship hotel in Brighton for my birhday. It was a surprise and she didn't tell me the details until we got to Brighton. I was so impressed I had to review the hotel. We stayed a couple of nights and after checking in were very pleased to find that the hotel had given us a seaview room at the front of the hotel, room 116. It was spacious, clean, well appointed with all of the added extras you like, en-suite, TV, tea making facilities, trouser press, iron, ironing board and hair dryer. In addition the hotal had put a bottle of wine and a card on the dresser for us to enjoy before going out. It was a decent one too, and showed to me that they had given it some thought and that a cheap bottle wasn't good enough. The room also had a small balcony which you could stand out on and enjoy the fresh air and views. The staff were all pleasant and knew their jobs from the reception through to the dining room, all were good and as you would hope. The breakfasts were first class with a huge selection at the help yourself buffet. The hotel is in a prime sea front location which is handy for the beach, the pier and the shops and bars with The Lanes being a short walk away. It really was a lovely couple of days and even though my wife got this hotel on a special deal, I would consider going back at the normal price. If you can spot a deal though, you won't be disappointed.

1 Thank Major_Jb
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Major_Jb

Thank you for your review and am so pleased you were impressed with us.

I will pass on your comments to the team and am pleased you enjoyed the wine and the upgrade.

Our passion at the hotel is to ensure that every guest enjoys their stay and where possible ensure that special occassions are celebrated too.

Thank you once again.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

I just stayed one night in the Old Ship. At reception I was greeted by a lovely lady who was very friendly and helpful. However when she gave me my room key she did not explain the strange hotel lay out so I spent 10 minutes trying to find my room, only to find out there are two sections of floor 4 which do not connect! The room itself: stains on the furniture and carpet. Wall paper peeling off the walls and thick dust on the top of the tiles in the bathroom. To say the room décor was 80's, tired and dated would be a kindness. On the plus side the room had an iron and ironing board which was needed as I was staying for business and needed to iron my shirt. Breakfast - there is a good choice and its all self service. The restaurant itself is as the rooms, tired, stained and soulless. I would say that for one night it was adequate but I would not recommend this hotel to anyone staying more than one night as it would get depressing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jonk1966
Dear Jonk1966

Thank you for your review which I was dissapointed to read. I have fed your comments to my Front of House Manager to ensure further training is given and apologise for this and the high dust you found in the bathroom.

Since changing to Puma hotels we have been make plans for this year for a refurbishment of our bedrooms and hope you will give us the opporunity to show you our new bedrooms when complete.

Thank you once again.

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Hertfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed there for one night, we just wanted somewhere cheap for the night. We read the reviews and were not expecting much, but at £55, this hotel was great. We had been in the Ship many years ago (for a drink) and it is much improved. Our room was spacious and clean with a nice comfy bed.
The only draw back is the noise. But you can't blame the hotel for all the revellers walking past after closing time. If this is a problem, you might want to ask for a bedroom higher up (we were on the second floor) or maybe around the back or facing the centre of the hotel (however, you won't have much of a view - but who needs a view when you can just go out on the seafront?)
We didn't have breakfast as there are plenty of great Cafes in Brighton.
All staff were pleasant enough and they looked after our luggage till we left.
All in all, very good experience and would go there again if we needed a hotel for the night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear if you want a quieter night
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear WonderingMinstrels

Thank you ever so much for your review.

I am keen to ensure that we price our rooms accordingly within the Brighton Market to ensure all guests feel they had great value for money.

Being at the centre of the cosmopolitan city of Brighton we are at the heart of it all which does sometimes mean outside revellers disturb guests within the hotel. As a listed building it is not as simple as installing double glazing however I am pleased to confirm that our sample refurbishment bedrooms are due to commence. As part of this we are investing heavily into acoustic glass which if proves successful will be rolled out to other bedrooms in the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Regards
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

We got a great deal at the Old Ship, and it is contiuning to improve as part of the 'puma' group.
We stayed in a basic room at the side ot the hotel. The furniture had been refurbished and is of a high standard. The staff are super friendly and breakfast was excellent .
We stay at the' Grand' a couple of times a year, and prices are double.
Well done to the new management team, we will be back.

2 Thank maxwellanderson
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thank you for your review.

Where possible internal works have been carried out by my own maintenance team and are pleased you have seen a difference in such a short time. In the new year we commence our trial bedrooms which will then follow with our full refurbishment.

Thank you once again for your review.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

We got a good price for this hotel and the location is really good. Unfortunately, the room was right by some sort of generator outside so it was quite nosiy through the night and the room was quite cold, even with the heating on.

The breakfast was really good though.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

I am not aware of a generator noise and will investigate further and thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Kind regards
Hastings, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

I am a Diamond Resort owner and had some points left to use this year. So i booked a night in the Old Ship Hotel in Brighton as I livenearby in Hastings. The hotel is in a perfect location between the two piers and a large amount of restaurents, pubs etc. I used the car park for £23 a night which was looked after well and the staff were certainly friendly with the receptionist giving me good information about the town. The room was ok, shower was good, bed was very comfortable so i am satisfied. If i had to pay the bill i feel £65 would have been a fair price but i know Brighton seafront hotels are expensive. Anyway i have more points to get rid of so i am back here on the 27th December so i will give you my second opinion.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Thank you for your review.

Diamond resorts is a new partnership we have only recently started and was pleased to read your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back on the 27th