The Old Ship Hotel
Ibis Brighton City Centre Station(Brighton)(Great Value!)
$104
$99
$209
  • Beachfront
$135
The Granville Hotel(Brighton)(Great Value!)
$127
$118
  • Breakfast included
Jurys Inn Brighton Waterfront(Brighton)(Great Value!)
$157
$70
Travelodge
  • Bar/Lounge
2,513 results
All reviewssea viewsea frontceiling fanbox of chocolateslovely hotelcar parknoisy at nightearly hourssuperior roomshort breakideal locationpublic areasthird floorbrighton seafronttwo night staybreakfast was excellentlovely room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

A location that can't be beaten right on the Brighton seafront. This hotel is absolutely charming with comfortable beds and nicely appointed rooms. Parking is available which can be unusual in Brighton. Restaurant and shops are all close by and the famous pier is 5 minutes away. We could see it from our room.

• Stayed: October 2012
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Thank you for your review and pleased you enjoyed your stay with us here.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Our 2 day break was totally ruined by so much noise from the street outside at night time. We chose the hotel because of it's location to the shops. We had no sleep whatsoever throughout the night so spent the best part of the next day sleeping instead of shopping. The manager moved us on our 2nd day to a quieter, nicer room on the 5th floor although it was freezing and we had to stuff towels into the gaps around the sash windows. On the whole, a lovely building but the rooms are in need of updating. Superb staff, very friendly and helpful.. just a shame that the rooms aren't more sound proofed from the inevitable noise from the Friday and Saturday night clubbers. Definitely not good if there are kids with you.

Room Tip: Do not choose a sea view as you won't sleep from all the noise from the clubs and pubs.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sarah E
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Thank you for your review. Brighton is a lively and vibrant city and am sorry if the noise from outside affected your stay.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

When searching for a hotel for my friends and I to stay at in Brighton for just one saturday night, I encountered numerous problems, as the majority of hotels in town only seem to accept a minimum of a 2 night booking. However, The Old Ship came to the rescue with a one night stay. The hotel is right on the seafront in Brighton just minutes away from the Lanes, and the Pier, so in that respect, is very much in the thick of the action, and staggering distance from most night spots. Our friends stayed in a Premium Room, which was very nice and modern with a sea view. We had a standard room, which was a bit larger, but perhaps in need of redecoration, although the bathroom was big enough to throw a party in with an amazing power shower. However, we werent in the rooms much, so that wasnt an issue for us really. The reception staff were friendly and helpful, and we found the bar was cosy and warm with lots of comfy chairs for relaxing and having a chat before we went out at night. Saturday nights do seem to be very busy at the hotel, so sunday morning breakfast was slightly chaotic. There was a good choice available with a hot buffet, cereals, toast, a range of cakes and juices etc but I do think the hotel needs to consider re-working the restaurant to allow for more people to access the hot buffet at once as the queues did back up. All in all, we were really impressed with the Old Ship, and would definitely return. If you are particular about your room, definitely pay the extra for a premium sea view upgrade.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review. I was pleased you were able to get the rates and dates you required. We also have a two night policy dependant on the dates you required but it always worth checking.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

DISGUSTING HOTEL! I booked a twin through a web agent for one night as it was my birthday a month in advance. I confirmed with the hotel Central Reservations dept a twin with no feather bedding as I'm allergic. On arriving at 4-30pm on Saturday 13th October, we were given the keys to what turned out to be a double room. My friend and I went back to reception and told them of their error so we were given keys to a twin room. After gaining access to the twin room, we noticed that the room had someone else’s possessions, so once again we made our way to reception.
After a couple of hours, we were told by the Duty Manager that all the twin rooms had gone and that the only room available was a double room. This was not acceptable as my friend and I are not a couple. The duty manager then suggested that he would find a room at another hotel as long as one of us took the room at the Ship. This was a preposterous suggestion as I knew full well that all the 4 star hotels were fully booked and I was not prepared to pay for 2 taxis to our evening out and then to pay for 2 taxis again to return to our respective hotels. I suggested that the duty manager found a twin room by whatever means possible.
Finally, at 6-30pm, we were given keys to a twin room – room 509. On entering, I noticed that the bathroom hadn’t been cleaned properly and requested that it was cleaned again. Also, the electrics were not working for a considerable length of time. I also discovered that there was mould beneath the radiator. I was horrified at seeing the mould as I’m an asthmatic and this could’ve triggered an attack. It was 7-30pm and by then and we had missed most of the day in Brighton.
Reception made a note of the issues and suggested I complain to the General Manager Paul Wright. I attached a photo of the mould and the 2 hotel reservation confirmations in my email complaint. I have taken legal advice and the hotel is in Breach of Contract so the minimum I should receive is a full refund, but Paul Wright refuses to issue a refund never mind any recompen for the stress caused by the issues I have raised as well as ruining my birthday.
BE WARNED - DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL: THEY ARE NEGLIGENT WITH BOOKINGS AND IT IS DIRTY, MOULDY AND POSES A SERIOUS HEALTH RISK. ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SHOULD SHUT IT DOWN.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank POSHMANC
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

It is disspointing to read your review. As per my correspondence with you, your confirmation from your agent confirmed you had booked a room that was not of a guaranteed bed type. Any request made was a request and no confirmation of the bed type was sent through to you.

Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

I didn't get as far as staying overnight here. Thank goodness.

Upon check-in I was told the hotel was full. On reading previous reviews this seems a common issue with this "hotel". They said I should have been informed however as I'd only booked it the day before when exactly were they going to let me know?

I waited for 2 hours in their very grubby bar before they someone from reception came through and said Brighton was very busy that weekend but they could offer me a hotel...12 miles away. So much for a nice weekend in Brighton.

The whole weekend was ruined however in hindsight I'm glad I didn't stay here. The place is horrendous. As soon as you arrive at the hotel you can tell. Paint peeling off the exterior walls, rotten windows, litter all over the front door. Just who on earth is classifying this as 4*?

The company that runs this hotel should be ashamed of itself.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Tony M

It is not often that I quesiton the reliability of a review but on this occassion I do. We do not have a policy of booking out any guest over 12 miles away if they have a confirmed reservation. In October we have had a situtation on two dates where by we needed to bookout out but all guests were kept within Brighton and no more than a 10 minute walk from us. I hope you can advise.