“Nice Hotel but still some room for improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Old Ship Hotel

The Old Ship Hotel
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Dartford, United Kingdom
“Nice Hotel but still some room for improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed at the Ship for a midweek break. The price was reasonable for a 2 night stay with breakfast. The hotel is in a great location for shops and the beach. Inside the hotel was nice and clean. The lifts are too mall and wouldn't want to get trapped in one. Parts of the hotel appear to have been given a makeover but some parts are still in need of one.It was a bit of a trek to get to the room, felt like walking through a maze.The room was very clean and tidy but quite warm even when the radiator was turned off. Breakfast was fine but I wouldn't write homa about it. Overall our stay was pleasant and would stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for your review.

I assure you that all feedback where possible is immediatly actioned or plans made to ammend in future.

I hope we can welcome you back again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

The hotel is very nice with a faded charm. The public areas looked very nice and clean. We had paid for a premier room, whilst we had an excellent sea view, the room was quite small with only a standard double bed. The bathroom was a bit grim with broken tiles and a nasty nylon shower curtain, the bath and sink were clean, but the loo could have done with a good bleaching. The bed linen was clean and fresh and the towels good, we didn't use the bathrobes, but they did look freshly laundered. The curtains and windows could have done with a good clean and I will all ways wonder why there was a blob blutac on one of the pictures! The decor was ok,a but dated with some brio markings on the wall, and shabby, sadly not chic furniture. The bed was comfortable enough. We were in room 116, the noise from outside the hotel was extremely loud and intrusive, obviously not the fault of the hotel, but we had paid a premium to be there, I would rather have paid more for a room I could actually sleep in. Rather strangely it was quiter on saturday night than it was on friday night. We were there on a 2 night bed/breakfast and dinner on the first night deal. The service in the restaurant for dinner was good, the menu is limited and the quality of food was just about ok, if it wasn't part of a deal we wouldn't have bothered. On our second day, we returned to the hotel at 3 to find our room hadn't been serviced, the concierge said that they were busy as the hotel was full but would chase housekeeping, the room was sorted within an hour. The breakfast was good, the cold buffet excellent, the hot breakfast standard fare and topped up often enough that it didn't look like it ad been there for hours. No Earl Gray tea though, fr a posh hotel that was disappointing. All the staff we spoke to we're very nice and helpful. The parking at £23 per night was a bit expensive. I had a good weekend, but don't like Brighton enough to go back. The hotel wasn't bad, the location was very good, excellent for the lanes, fantastic if you are a clubber, if you are not take ear defenders.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor, you might stand a chance of getting a good nights sleep
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your contructive and descriptive feedback.

I find this feedback extremly usefull as part of our continual service improvement programme and where possible immediate action will be taken
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

Very nice hotel in a great location right on the seafront. Upon checking in and being given a sea view room we were delighted. An extra bed was provided for my daughter so all was good, that was until around midnight when the noise from the street was unbearable! This lasted until around 4am!!! Add to this a hot night in summer, unable to open windows, a grumpy and tired two year old and her parents, this was not the highlight of our weekend. Apart from this the hotel and breakfast are nice

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am sorry the noise from outside caused you a distrubed night sleep. Am however pleased you found the breakfast and hotel nice.
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in August. We had booked for a two night break and upon arrival we were given keys to our room. I opened the door and was not impressed with the room at all. It was tired and dated and had a strange smell. I immediatly complained at reception stating this was not the room I had paid for when booking and certainly didn't reflect their websites photos.

To the hotels credit they sorted it out instantly and gave us a delightful room which overlooked the sea and was lovely with an updated decor. I still don't know why we were given a ad room to start with but thats all by the by now. After this we had a nice stay and the location was excellent. The breakfasts were very good. We get up early so always ensure we get the freshest of breakfasts. Its a nice hotel but just remember not to settle for something you have not paid for.

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry you had to move rooms but pleased you enjoyed the rest of your stay.

Regards
Colchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

Was looking forward to a night away with no kiddies in tow - parking, checking in was fine with friendly staff. The room however was tired and dirty. The walls were covered in stains and the wallpaper falling off, the windows were falling apart with peeling paint, the rad was full of dust. Under the bed were bits of a jigsaw that had been there some time! The taps of the sink were loose and looked like they were about to break. It was a hot evening but we couldn't have the window open as our view was of vent area and the noise was awful. As we waited to check out we listened to the people in front of us and all were complaining about the rooms. As the guy on reception looked a bit flustered with all the complaints we decided just to leave without comment. I will certainly not waste our hard earned cash here again.

Room Tip: Ask for one thats be recently refurbished
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am sorry for the issues you have found and assure you I will be using these to address with my team here at the hotel

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

St. Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

I spent two nights at the Old Ship Hotel and was not sure what to expect after reading some of the reviews posted on this website. I need not have worried at all. My room was upgraded for free so I had a seaview, which was much appreciated. I found the room to be very comfortable. Admittedly there was a road outside which was a little noisy, but as I usually wear ear plugs to sleep it did not keep me awake. I am sure that virtually all the hotels on the main beach road experience similar levels of noise - it is to be expected in a vibrant city. The only addition to the room that could be made is air conditioning - I did not need it, but on very hot nights it might be harder to sleep with the window open. I found the hotel breakfast to be very good, the staff friendly and I was really grateful that I could leave bags at the hotel for free after checking out so I could make the most of my trip. Overall, I would recommend staying at this hotel and would definitely stay there again. It is great value for money and the location is second to none being opposite the sea and a couple of minutes from the pier and wheel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

It is always pleasing to read a positive reveiew and thank you for taking the time to post this on here.

We look forward to welcoming you back
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

Was good value for money and the hotel looks like it is now having some investment after being very tired for a while. One negative was when we arrived on a busy saturday night (18/8/2012) there was only one member of staff on reception. He was very efficient, but needed help ! So we stood in a queue for best part of half an hour !! First impressions matter !! Apart from that the staff were really attentive and went the extra mile. Our room had been recently decorated and looked fresh and clean. Only grumble with room was it was a hot night, and there was no air conditioning and the window could not be opened. I would recommend this hotel again as it was good value for money and you sense it is being run well and on the up !!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you for your review.

I apologise for your wait at reception to check in and will ensure this is looked into.

I hope that despite this we will welcome you back.

Regards