“Friendly and efficient”

Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Haywards Heath, England, United Kingdom
“Friendly and efficient”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

We recently held our wedding reception at the Old Ship hotel and it was a truly wonderful day. The staff all made us feel like nothing was too much trouble, they were friendly and efficient without being too 'visible' and they had obviously put a great deal of care into making sure that the day was just as we hoped for. Any request we had for extra resources or food / drink was dealt with immediately, without any fuss and with a big smile. The food was absolutely delicious, as was the wine. The reception room was attractive and bright, even though it was grey and rainy outside, and we had a sea view.

We also stayed the night and were upgraded to a suite without us even asking; they also let us have a late check out for no extra charge. We had a beautiful sea view and it was quiet as well, even on a Saturday night. The breakfast was delicious and an enormous range, we were very sorry that we weren't hungry enough to make the most of it! We now can't wait to return to the Old Ship for our first wedding anniversary!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view as it isn't just the more expensive suites that have them.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

We were housed at the hotel for a 3-day meeting being held at the university. After reading some of the reviews, we were expecting much worse, but were quite happy with the quality of the room and especially the location. We were on a room on eastern side and the noise wasn't as bad as all that -- once you accept that a bit of drunken singing in the streets at some point in the middle of the night is inevitable in that section of town! The room was certainly compact, but was nicely equipped and the bathroom was decent. We like older style hotels for their quirks, and this is a classic -- if the walls could only tell their tales... Some wear and tear evident, but quite tolerable. While the breakfast is certainly not gourmet, an unusually wide selection and large quantities are on offer. Important for us, the wifi worked well. Responsiveness of the staff varied widely -- which we took to be representative of the region ;) One drawback -- you generally need to go through a relatively small revolving door to get in/out, which is quite a challenge when carrying luggages -- an interesting design flaw for such an old hotel. But we would certainly not hesitate to recommend it to others.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TomKatGunner
Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have stayed at the Old ship approx 8-9 times in the last year with business and I have always been impressed in terms of value, quality and generally most of all the staff.

However my most recent visit on the 6th and 7th of july with my partner was probably my most dissapointing the room as always was clean comfortable and relativley spacious however since the new branded restaurant concept/ initiative has been introduced the breakfast room ambiance has been drastically altered.
On my previous visit we were always met by the supervisor generally an older lady with a lovely personality, however this time we were just shuffled in via a back entrance next to a bar.

The room was so dark from a set of blue curtains being drew across from the new restaurant and the breakfast room that the lights were permenantly on. We could see through the curtains the sun was shining and it was a beutiful day yet the dull orange light didnt exactly start our day well!

I understand that the hotel needs to develop f&B trade from non residents however feel this is at the cost and enjoyment of the hotel guests.

I will return to Brighton in a few weeks and will probably look elsewhere perhaps this is becasue of the change over from barcelo to puma hotels and may settle down in the future.

I wouldnt discourage anyone from visiting this hotel espically on a room only basis, but if you are expecting to relax and enjoy breakfast looking onto the sea then it probably wont happen.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shaun b
Newcastle, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

The good; as others have said it's the location. Overlooking the beach and the pier. I got an excellent deal on hotels.com (£49 a night) and this was real value for money. The room was a good size and the bed was very comfortable, plus a great shower in a good sized bathroom. Best of all is the buffet breakfast! Can't praise it enough.
The bad: Funny enough it's the location. Very busy road in front of the hotel but then you have the view. You can't have it both ways. You also need to be aware that it is almost "two" hotels. The landings are not all on one level. There are two lifts. Make sure you go up in the lift with your room number on it otherwise you can spend a lot of time (as I did) trying to locate your hotel in the "wrong" half of the building.
The ugly: It is an old building and parts of it have been renewed (bathroom) but in places it is showing it's age. Worst of all though is the state of the windows. Will somebody please clean them so I can see the wonderful view! All in all if you can get a deal go for it.

Room Tip: It must be overlooking the sea.
1 Thank Crawcrook
Thatcham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

This is the first review I have ever done and I'm doing so because before we stayed at this hotel I had read quite a few negative reviews about it and I began to worry about our stay however, we had a lovely 3 night break.

The main areas of the hotel were very clean and tidy, the staff very friendly and helpful although some spoke little english which did cause a bit of confusion when ordering some drinks at the bar. The breakfast buffet was nice and they provided you with plenty to choose from. The bedroom was clean and tidy with modern decor (I will try to upload pics) and the bed was very comfy, due to the age of the hotel there is no air conditioning so it can get quite warm in the room at night. The bathroom was a little dated and you could see where the tiles had been re-grouted to cover the mould, some tiles along the top were missing, the sink also had a crack going through it, however the shower was very powerful and the bathroom overall was clean! Our room was on the second floor above the side road with views to the sea. At night, even mid week, it was a little noisy but as other reviewers recommended I took earplugs and slept soundly.

The hotel is in a fantastic location right on Brighton beach front within short walking distance of the pier, The Lanes and the Royal pavilion which is really worth visiting, it is breathtaking inside!
There is limited parking at the hotel and it was quite expensive, we parked in a 24hr underground car park called Regency Square which was £12.50 for 24hrs and was within a 10min walk along the beach front.

Yes the hotel is old and could do with updating but it was lovely all the same.

Exeter, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

I Booked a stay at Barcelo Brighton Old Ship Via Hotelopia b/ref 164-1427997 on the 2nd April for a stay commencing 02.06.12 2 months in advance.

Please see Bullet pointed the catalogue of events which took place. I am so unhappy I have actually wanted to get my own events in writing, I would never normally do this.

•On arrival to the hotel I immediately noticed a corporate identity change as the word Barcelo from the signage had been scraped off. I then saw the name Puma hotels spring up on Staff Name badges and notices in the hotel. I booked Barcelo Hotel and was shocked that i was not staying in a chain I had booked. I believe there have been changes which happened after I made my reservation however i was not informed. Clear branding is something consumers buy into and I was Misled.
•When I checked in I asked if I had a sea view room as clearly stated on my booking confirmation. I was told by the female Receptionist that none were available and had been booked for a long time , I said I booked over 8 weeks ago , no further comment was offered.
•On entering room 1st room my first impression was good until i heard a constant vibrating noise. I looked out of the window, there was no view only internally over the cooling system. The room was hot and could not open a window because of the noise. I called to Reception and said I will not stay in the room , I was offered a sea view room as compensation however there were none available, I said i would take another room for the night and then move onto a sea view room. Room 242 was offered, again a comfortable room however the bathroom floor was wet due to a leaking waste pipe under the basin, I did not say anything about this as i was only in the room for I night. I did not sleep well as the room was opposite an all night fish and chip shop. There were drunk customers shouting and urinating in the street below. Again I knew I was changing rooms the next day.
•Next day moved to room 214 a sea view room . All was OK here, however When I tried to have a shower the whole valve came off in my hand and squirted water all over the bathroom. I called reception, at first I could not get through . I looked down at the phone and realised the handset cord was broken and not connected to the phone, good job i realised what was wrong and was able to hold in the connection to the phone and make a call . for any other person who might have had an emergency could have had a bad experience here.The receptionist came to the room , I was running late by now, offered me to change rooms, I did not want to move again, I wanted to wait to see if maintainers could come to fix the shower. 30 Minutes passed and no one showed up, I needed to go out. I called reception and took a new room. I had to move again. Also the space for the toilet was too small, The toilet seat was fitted at a strange angle to fit around the toilet roll holder.
•Now moved to room 116. All good here until the music from the diner came on. I knew the diner closed at 22.00 so thought i could put up with it. last 2 nights in this room were OK.

The receptionist who moved me from room 214 to 116 said he was going to make a report and the Manager would contact me to explain what has happened. I had no Call. On checking out the receptionist said , "Hope you enjoyed your stay "his was an insult. there were obviously no notes on the system. I was expecting a reduced bill I was given the full price, I then asked to speak to the Duty Manager. He came to see me . I told him my issues. I was expecting compensation. None was offered, I asked and was told by Michael Ducal that he would speak to the Operations Manager who would call me that day. I have not had a call from the operations Manager, I called Michael Dougal to chase, he said the Operations Manager would call me . he has not called, this is why I am emailing now.

The Hotel is Shabby due to lack of investments due to the Changes. A total refit is needed.

I feel Shortchanged as i would usually choose a budget break, I expected more from Barcelo, Sorry I did not stay with barcelo, I think it was Puma, I am confused.

2 Thank paul b

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

Stayed here to celebrate a friends birthday.
Fabulous location, right on the seafront.
Free wifi was a bonus.
As others have said this is an old building, obviously with lots of history.
We were upgraded to a Seafront room on the 5th floor which was lovely.
Bed was comfy, bathroom spacious, lots of in room facilities.

Breakfast was lovely buffet - amazed by the amount of selection!
The waffles were very good and fresh omelettes were available.

Would consider staying again if I could get another good rate.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends