“Good Value”
Review of The Old Ship Hotel

The Old Ship Hotel
Ranked #18 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Check-in was rather slow but the receptionist was very friendly and efficient when we were finally served. I had booked a twin room but we had been allocated a double. This was changed to a 5th floor twin room but the lift was only working up to the 3rd floor. The room was incredibly hot and the windows were screwed shut; the A/C wasn't working either. The phone was out of order so all the way back down to reception to complain. Things progressed much more smoothly after this and we were given a lovely room with windows which could be opened. A note on the A/C though - the receptionist said that none of the units worked. This does present a serious problem in rooms with no other form of ventilation. However on the plus side the breakfast was good, all the hotel staff were very friendly and we got a brilliant deal on last minute. The hotel is on the seafront close to,shops, bars and restaurants.

Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Thank you very much for your recent review, I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be good value for money.
My apologies for the fact you were allocated a room which you were unhappy with, alhthough I was very pleased to read that you were moved and were consequently happy with your second room. We have just recently had a significant amount of new windows installed at the front of the hotel which has aided ventillation as well as acting as a soundproofer. We are soon to start on a second phase of window replacement with a further 54 being replaced. In addition, we have been working through a program of redecoration within our bedrooms which remains ongoing.
I am sorry one of our lifts needed to be put partly out of order during your stay. Unfortunately some over zealous guests decided to exceed the maximum numbers in the lift which resulted in a partial breakdown. The engineers were called to site straight away, but the lift was left out of action until a specialist part was sourced. My aplogies for the incovenience caused by this breakdown.

Thank you again for your feedback. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Old Ship again in the future.

Kind regards

There are newer reviews for The Old Ship Hotel

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Went to Brighton for the first time on a stag weekend and chose the hotel for location and price so before arriving my expectations was not high as i only wanted a bed for a few hours between drinking sessions. Well all i can say is if jmy expectations was high it would have still been met as i found the place the location and omre importantly the staff to be an absolute pleaseure from start to finish. Yes the place is old and of course maintanance must be ongoing on a large old building like this and if you looked hard enough you will be able to pick fault but thats ony if you are sad and got nothing else to do. this is a clean place with lots of character but what makes any place for me is the staff who here could not do enough for you! every one pleasant , helpful and had your best interests at heart all the time. This you will find from the top with the manager to Calre Sylvester to Racheal on the reception and the lovely women at breakfasts how starts your day with a warm glow. Speaking of breakfast you cant fault it !!
This is not the Grand but it is not Grand prices and to be honest I would be here any day. if it is a clean warm welcoming hotel with a great central location then look no further.
Well done Old Ship and more so well done to the staff that make the place.
Regards a bunch from nottingham on a stag party

1  Thank frank w
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Thanks Frank - what a FANTASTIC review! And to think me and Rachael even get a special mention!

So pleased you and your fellow Stag weekenders had such a great stay in Brighton.

Dont leave it too long before you come back and see us again!

Kind Regards

Reviewed May 24, 2012

Arrived Friday afternoon to find no car park spaces available with the hotel. This wasn't a problem as the nearest car park 'the lanes' is v close! Downside is for 24 hrs £25! Overnight parking from 4pm -7/8am? £10.....
Our room was on the first floor 149 ... Accessed by a v old lift overlooking hotel du vin... Double bed which was fine as we were a mother-daughter on a friends Hen-do! Bathroom was a tad on the small size but the room itself was fine... Couldn't open the windows to let any fresh air in ... Both nights we had interrupted sleep even with earplugs in ... One from the firedoor banging outside the door and two from the amount of footfall from the street outside our window!!
Breakfast tho was great! The amount of choice was amazing... You could eat all the days food in one sitting!! I would go again just for the breakfast alone and location. Bar prices 2 drinks ..glass of rosé and j2o £9.30

• Stayed: May 2012
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Thanks for your review "WOW, what a breakfast!".....We certainly do offer the best Breakfast in town. Its particuarly good at a weekend, when we also have a Chef on Duty in the Restaurant freshly cooking Omlettes and Waffles to order.

I hope we see you back at the Old Ship again soon.

Reviewed May 24, 2012 via mobile

Having just stayed for one night I'm quite glad I'm not staying for another.....
This is nothing to do with the good, attentive service, large room and value for money.
I read the previous reviews in relation to the noise issues and felt it wouldn't bother me. However!! We had a lovely seafront room on the second floor but I think I slept for all of 5 minutes due to the revellers outside. Plus the room was very very hit, somewhat similar to a sauna! The fan provided did little except move hot air around the room. Shame really as it was such a nice room.
We had dinner in the hotel which was included in the offer. Very average at best and we were literally the only people in the restaurant. We felt that some if the food was a little past it's best. Great service though.
Breakfast was very good, lovely service again and lots of choice.
All in all good value if you are a heavy sleeper and the staff couldn't have been nicer.

• Stayed: May 2012
Management response:Responded June 24, 2012

Thank you for your review and your positive comments of your bedroom and the service from our dedicated team. Brighton is indeed a very vibrant city and as such, particuarly at weekends, there isa lively atmosphere at night. The views from the sea-facing rooms are indeed fabulous, second to none, but please do ask for an inside room should you be returning.

I am pleased to say we have just opened our new Grill Restaurant - "Steak on Sea". The new Restaurant has been a big hit with both our Residents and ourside Diners, with the emphasis on good, locally reared Steaks. I do hope you will return to the hotel and give this new Restaurant a try. It really is excellent and also offers great value for money.

Kind regards

Reviewed May 22, 2012

Wonderful Hotel...from the time we got to the Hotel (around 7pm on a Friday night) until we left on Saturday 11am we had a great experience. The room had a wonderful view out to sea. The room was large and clean and had everything needed for an overnight stay. The receptionist was very efficient. Breakfast in the morning was a feast - Cereal, fruit, yoghurt, different breads, croissants and many different pastries and in the corner a chef making personalised omlettes and waffles. There was a hot area where full English Breakfast were being served - so all tastes and palates were catered for. The Hotel is situated convieniently for shopping in The Lanes and the beach is accross the road. Brighton Pier is a 5 minute walk away.

Room Tip: If you are travelling to Brighton a room with a seaview is compulsory
Management response:Responded June 24, 2012

Thank you for your fabulous review of the Old Ship. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay so much and hope you dont leave it too long before coming back and seeing us again.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

From arriving with a party of twenty checkin was fast and I was in my room with my luggage in minutes, the room was clean, spacious and very well equipped with everything you could possibly need. The only drawbacks were the noise on Monday night my room was at the side of the hotel we had asked for quiet rooms and were assured that they were, my friends room was on the seafront and she had more noise on the following two nights, the other being that my room was not serviced on any of the four nights that I was there although no-one else in our party had the same problem .
Overall a lovely hotel with very helpful, friendly ,polite staff.

Room Tip: Rooms at side and higher up possibly best
1  Thank Marilyn E
Management response:Responded June 24, 2012

Thank you so much for your review, and your positive comments following your stay at the Old Ship. Please accept my apologies for the fact my Housekeeping team mistakenly failed to service your bedroom. It is unclear from your review, but i do hope you drew this to our attention at the time as we would, of course, have serviced your room immediately.

I do hope we see you again soon

Reviewed May 19, 2012

We stayed at the Old Ship from 14th to 18th May, Staff very friendly, room was a good size, bathroom lovely, beds and duvet very clean and comfortable, breakfasts and evening meals were very good too. Can recommend this hotel as it is convenient for everything ..... , only downside (and not the hotels fault) is that most nights idiots seem to walk the side roads and seafront at 3 am shouting and screaming so take ear plugs, otherwise the hotel was great .....

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 24, 2012

Thank you very much for your positive review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Old Ship so much and thank you for your kind comments regarding both the hotel and service.

I hope we see you back again soon.