“Oh dear, still no gold star”

Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront
Ranked #24 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Bromley, Kent
“Oh dear, still no gold star”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Well, we have been here 3 times now. Last visit 2 years ago, and we were told then that the hotel is being re furbished! Not from what I have seen, it must be the longest refurbishment in history.

It all started badly, before coming again, we read trip advisor, and it was a platinum member who mentioned parking was reduced for platinum members. On check in I had to ask about the parking charges, I also asked about a free paper. I was told free during the week, chargeable weekends." I waited for a few seconds before asking "well what paper do I want then?" Oh yes what would you like then!

I shouldn't have to ask the desk staff, they should be offering this as I check in, and advising on parking charges, and they could have advised us the restaurant was booked out, we could have gone out for a meal had we been told.

It just seems that it's all a dreadful pain, for the desk staff, to muster a smile or some enthusiasm into their dealing with the public. We also booked for a breakfast and evening meal package. When we arrived we booked for a meal at 7. On returning to the hotel the next day, we asked to book for the restaurant to be told. No the restaurant is booked out for a private wine tasting function! You can have room service or eat in the bar. What hotel management would book a restaurant for a private function, when they have conference rooms that Could be used for such functions.

To add insult to injury, the meal we had in the bar took ages to arrive, and when we ask for a dessert it took 45 minutes to arrive. It can not be they were busy, as they were only tasting wine in the restaurant.

The service is atrocious, think most of the staff, could use some customer service training.

The rooms are still as tired as before, the walls so thin, if the neighbours have either the tv on, or talk too loud we can here all their conversation. The TV was Old and picture quality had more snow than Everest. Why oh why, in today's modern era, are we subjected to these poor TV's, when Flat screens are standard in most other hotels. Why is there not cable tv to each room,?

Oh I know, the hotel in in the process of being re furbished.

The last insult, I had to ask if the Internet in the room was free, as IHG is offering free from July. The receptionist, said oh yes that's free, and yawned as she passed over the ticket with the details.

It's sad to think, that considering its location, this should be a flag ship for the Holiday inn label. Instead it's a tired and dated sad ghost of what it could be.

Come on holiday inn, get your act together, and make this the hotel it could be.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, sea view worth the extra
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear JBHBromley_Kent,

Thank you for your feedback and for being an IHG Rewards Club Platinum member. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate that you find our location to be convenient.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding customer service, room amenities and the room condition. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Westerham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stayed here about 2 years ago at a weekend which was just too noisy with hen parties etc so I thought I would try again in the week. Last time I was told the hotel was under refurbishment but not a lot has really changed. I had the executive sea view room this week which is large and generally ok. TV was old and had a poor picture. Balcony was clearly in need of some tlc. The walls are thin and you can hear conversation next door.
The main complaints concern the largely indifferent staff. As a platinum member I don't expect to have to ask every time for the free newspaper every day . No one at reception told me that the car park was a reduced price. I only found out by reading trip adviser during my stay. I ate in the lounge bar area where a guest brought in a dog not on a lead. The dog was allowed to wander around diners scrounging for scraps. Many people including me were not pleased to have to share a meal with a salivating dog. I asked the owner to have a lead put on which was greeted with derision. No staff addressed this problem at any time. Eventually dog and owner left . This just typified the general attitude in the hotel staff I dealt with. In addition I waited 45 minutes for dessert which was frozen yoghurt. Not exactly a lot of preparation needed.

The whole experience left me feeling jaded . The only good bit is the location.
Breakfast was ok but again when I asked if there were more food items coming that had run out nothing appeared. It all seems to be in the too difficult box.

• Stayed July 2013
BHTSF_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Good day,
thank you for taking the time to forward your comments to us and I am sorry that you did not have a satisfactory stay in the hotel.
you mentioned several issues and these will be addressed.
You also mention about the dog in the hotel, we are a dog friendly property but we do ask our guests to not allow the dogs off the lead and also to be responsible for their behaviour.
I will be speaking to the staff on duty to make sure this is enforced.
Once again I do thank you for letting us know about your stay as it is only through guests comments that we can build and enhance our product.
Regards
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Stayed here with some friends (5 rooms in total) for my hen weekend. Staff were very friendly and helpful on arrival, they let us check in early to 3 of the rooms which was nice and meant we could drop all of our luggage off before heading out. We thought the rooms were nice enough to begin with. Unfortunately there was some rather loud banging in one of the rooms that went on all night. We came back to the hotel for a drink after our meal out and there was a private function going on where there were at least 15 children, of all ages, running around the bar and lobby. We complained a few times as the kids were running through the revolving door, knocking off the leaflets and running through the bar with glasses, only to be told there was nothing that could be done and the parents should be looking after them. As accurate as that is, because I certainly wouldn't have let my children do those things, there was a huge Health and Safety risk and that is something the staff should have delt with. After about 1 & 1/2 hours the night manager did eventually sort out the promblem and after speaking to the manager the next morning we each recieved £50 off our room price. I would go back as the hotel was in a great location, but I'd check that there weren't any private functions happening on that night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
BHTSF_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Good afternoon,
thank you for taking the time to reveiw the hotel and I am sorry to hear that you were disturbed by other guests in the hotel.
I have spoken to the staff here in the hotel and explained the importance of all staying here being able to have a relaxing and fun holiday.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your rooms and that you had a great time visiting Brighton.
You mention you would stay here with us again in the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
regards
London
Reviewed July 9, 2013

.......room was dirty, hadnt seen a refurbishment in what looked like YEARS, bathroom was falling apart, staff couldnt have acred less, shocking quality of food, check in took forever.

On the plus side, location is great!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Yatti G,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. We value your comments as they help us to improve our services and surpass the very high standards of service our guests expect.

I am truly sorry to hear that you didn't found our hotel to your liking. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience and shortcoming you have encountered.

Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We take all reviews seriously and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit. I do hope this incident will not deter you from staying with us again.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Right on the sea front a short walk to the shops the pier, and night life. Staff very friendly and helpful. Hotel a bit dated and could do with a coat of paint. Room quite large but not very modern. Breakfast very good value for money excellent food. Car parking very limited and very expensive at £18 per night with no guarantee your space will be thereof you wish to take your car out anywhere. All in all would stay

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rodney H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Rodney H,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are so glad you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. Please allow us to apologize you were not satisfied with the unusual condition of our hotel and our parking policy did not live up to your expectations. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Anthony M
Lancashire
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Service was awful, over priced and not very clean ... Room tardy n run down. Communal area feels like a North Korean ministry !!! Service was similar too....
Quite simply the place is rubbish and they need to up the game for the price. Room also smelt damp and the partial sea view could only be archived if you broke the window, broke you neck and did a 360 handstand ....

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Gameshowhost
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Gameshowhost,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. It is most disappointing to hear of your overall dissatisfaction and I am truly sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations in some aspects of your stay. While I understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, I thank you for sharing your feedback as this is our best resource for improving the quality and services we offer.

I certainly hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be

Joel B
Greenwich
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I have stayed at Holiday Inns before, this is the first time I have paid extra for an side sea view and a up graded room , this was very dissapointing and a waste of my cash . The side view of the sea was ok, the room was plain and boring with a very old tv with a not too good picture. We were promised water and chocolate, water fine a small bottle each , which was replaced the next morning, chocolate was 1 Kitkat between 2 guests, which wasnt replaced, maybe because we didnt eat it . The fridge which we were assured was fine was giving out so much heat it was like a room heater , it was just about cold inside. The sliding wardrope door was so difficult to open and close that we just left it open . The bathroom was ok, room service was good, clean sheets , clean towels, pleasent lady cleaner. Breakfast was also dissapointing it was self service which is ok, take what you want but on cold plates ! by the time you sit down the food is cold . The underground carpark is handy but very difficult to find a place and hard to drive around all at diffrent angles and slopes and not cheap at £18 a night .

Room Tip: go for the cheapest value room dont bother with the up grade if its like mine it is a waste of money
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Good afternoon,
Thank you so much for bringing your comments to our attention and giving us the opportunity to respond,
We, here at the Holiday Inn pride ourselves on a high standard of service so it was very concerning to learn of your dissatisfaction and I would like to reassure you that your comments have been taken very seriously. One of my key focuses is ensuring we achieve the high standards of customer satisfaction that the Holiday Inn brand is known for.
We do have a very robust system within the hotel with regards to a repairs as well as a proactive maintenance programme to ensure that all of the rooms are maintained to the Holiday Inn standard as well as being checked by the Housekeeping & maintenance supervisory team. Unfortunately we do experience from time to time repairs and maintenance issues however they are responded to as soon as possible to minimise any disruption to our guests.
I would like to acknowledge your comments pertaining to your room which I made sure were passed onto maintenance and HSKP.
I am pleased to announce that we are in the process of several renovations so as to make the hotel more appealing and enhance our product.
Thank you for your comments as it is only through customer feedback that we can offer a continually improving service.
we can meet personally,