“Impressed”

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: 8 Years ago when Dawn and I were working in Dubai and she was expecting Stanley, we decided it was time to settle down and shed the expat lifestyle. After working as a chef for over a period of 20 years overseas, gaining experience and knowledge in a range of eclectic cuisines in world class hotels and restaurants with the latter years spent leading kitchen brigades, I felt it was time to "go it alone". Having both traveled to India on numerous occasions with a shared passion for it's food and culture as well as an inspirational stint at 'The Cinnamon Club' and there being a big Indian influence in the kitchens in Dubai which I also embraced, the decision for our future restaurant to be Indian felt very natural to us both and so The Chilli Pickle was born. The last time I worked in Brighton 28 years ago was as a silver service banquet waiter at the Metropole Hotel whilst studying catering at Brighton Tech (now City College). Dawn has always loved Brighton from regular visits whilst living in London and I've always had a soft spot for Brighton and the fact we were doing something quite different we knew it was the perfect place to start. After searching for the right property for nearly a year we found a spot in the cobbled lanes amongst the jewellery and antique shops in Meeting House Lane. The space was perfect. 50 Covers with a real bistro feel to it and a functional but small kitchen space. With an initial slow start The Chilli Pickle gradually grew through word of mouth and the support of our now regular clientele. As we got busier and gained feedback from diners we knew we were on the right track and so our confidence grew and our style became more clearly defined. After two and a half years at Meeting House Lane an opportunity came our way that we felt we could not refuse... A move to the restaurant space at myhotel Brighton. We knew this was a big step for us, but believed we had something special in The Chilli Pickle and had the passion and drive to continue to make this work along with the constant support of our original core team as well as some new additions. After 4 years in our new venue we have gone from strength to strength. The restaurant has grown in reputation nationally as well as locally with numerous awards and most importantly we continue to welcome our regulars back and enjoy meeting new customers. We also provide The Chilli Pickle Canteen - a delivery service offering a unique experience of in-home Indian dining. Bespoke boxed Grand Thalis, Railways Trays & Biryani Sets all inspired by our travels to India. We are very proud of what we have achieved and are excited about the future. We will retain our standards all the way with attention to detail, consistency and a love for what we do. Alun Sperring Chef/Director
Luton, United Kingdom
“Impressed”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Me and My Fiance tried the Chilli Pickle after hearing alot of good things about it.
The Staff were very Friendly and Gave good advice on which foods would suit us best.
Had a Fantastic meal and and good qulity food.
Great Value aswell.

Can't wait to go back.

• Visited February 2014

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing, and not value for money.”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I had been to The Chilli pickle about two years ago and it was great from what I can remember, but it's quite hard to get a table on the weekend so I hadn't made it back in quite a while! Called up on a Monday and they had a table available so went with my boyfriend and was very disappointed. The staff were fairly good, have no massive complaints but could've done with being slightly friendlier.. We had poppadoms before out starter and we found the pickles that came with it were extremely sour and had a very strong vinegar taste.. we also had cocktails which I liked very much (although my boyfriend didn't like his too much) but I think that's down to personal taste. We had starters of vegetable pakora and pork dumpling type things which were good, however we were bitterly disappointed with our main dishes. I ordered mutton byriani which came in a huge pot of rice with only a few pieces of lamb and a tiny dish of sauce which made it quite dry and unpleasant. My other half had a chicken korma which he described as bland and his naan was very thin and crispy (bordering on overcooked). We spoke to the manager who was very apologetic but suggested we should have said something while we were eating so it could have been amended. He offered us a free dessert or drinks but by that point we were quite full and we'd also waited a whole before having our mains. In the end he gave us the couple of beers we had with our main dishes on the house but I would've been more inclined to return if he had just given us the mains for free, as this was what we were dissatisfied with. I'm really not one to complain usually, but for the money they charge it totally wasn't worth it. I go to Indian summer regularly in Brighton and its always amazing food and service. In all fairness to The chilli pickle, people around us seemed to be really enjoying their food so maybe it was a one off.. But I won't be returning.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Stephrosef
“Delicious food.”
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

I have been back to this restaurant on several occasions and always recommend it to friends. The thali plates are delicious and the flavours change frequently. It's really nice to experience the kind of food that makes you want to return time after time. The service has always been brilliant and the menu is wide ranging enough to make you plan the next visit before you've even left. I would highly recommend this restaurant as a lunchtime venue.

Visited February 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Not an Indian meal!”
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Our friends recommended this restaurant for indian food and on a Saturday morning we decided to have brunch but the masala tea that we ordered first was itself very disappointing. It was milk not tea, no flavor or taste that we could barely sip it.
Next we ordered the family platter of starter and just did not feel the need to try any more food. The stuffed golgappa and the chutneys were good however niether the pao bhaji, bhonda nor the banana fritters were indian in taste. However the ambience was good and service attentive but the not so good food was dissappointing!
This was my first and last visit!

1 Thank Minnzzzy
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good as always”
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

We felt welcome as always. The service they provide is fantastic and there is not lows in that or the quality of the food, even when the restaurant is packed. I really enjoy their mint lemonade and the masala dosa. It took longer than usual to get my change back when we paid the bill but beside that all went good.