“Brilliant”

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: 8 Years ago when Dawn and I were working in Dubai and she was expecting Stanley, we decided it was time to settle down and shed the expat lifestyle. After working as a chef for over a period of 20 years overseas, gaining experience and knowledge in a range of eclectic cuisines in world class hotels and restaurants with the latter years spent leading kitchen brigades, I felt it was time to "go it alone". Having both traveled to India on numerous occasions with a shared passion for it's food and culture as well as an inspirational stint at 'The Cinnamon Club' and there being a big Indian influence in the kitchens in Dubai which I also embraced, the decision for our future restaurant to be Indian felt very natural to us both and so The Chilli Pickle was born. The last time I worked in Brighton 28 years ago was as a silver service banquet waiter at the Metropole Hotel whilst studying catering at Brighton Tech (now City College). Dawn has always loved Brighton from regular visits whilst living in London and I've always had a soft spot for Brighton and the fact we were doing something quite different we knew it was the perfect place to start. After searching for the right property for nearly a year we found a spot in the cobbled lanes amongst the jewellery and antique shops in Meeting House Lane. The space was perfect. 50 Covers with a real bistro feel to it and a functional but small kitchen space. With an initial slow start The Chilli Pickle gradually grew through word of mouth and the support of our now regular clientele. As we got busier and gained feedback from diners we knew we were on the right track and so our confidence grew and our style became more clearly defined. After two and a half years at Meeting House Lane an opportunity came our way that we felt we could not refuse... A move to the restaurant space at myhotel Brighton. We knew this was a big step for us, but believed we had something special in The Chilli Pickle and had the passion and drive to continue to make this work along with the constant support of our original core team as well as some new additions. After 4 years in our new venue we have gone from strength to strength. The restaurant has grown in reputation nationally as well as locally with numerous awards and most importantly we continue to welcome our regulars back and enjoy meeting new customers. We also provide The Chilli Pickle Canteen - a delivery service offering a unique experience of in-home Indian dining. Bespoke boxed Grand Thalis, Railways Trays & Biryani Sets all inspired by our travels to India. We are very proud of what we have achieved and are excited about the future. We will retain our standards all the way with attention to detail, consistency and a love for what we do. Alun Sperring Chef/Director
Reviewed November 9, 2013

All dishes were beautifully cooked and very helpful staff . Nice that there was a limited selection,everything we ordered was delicious and the pickles are very tasty.First time I have had Fish in a curry shop-it was fantastic.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Food temperature was steaming, burning, boiling, way to hot to have served, had to stir it and cool it for 5 minutes. Also hardly any meat or fish in the portions. Ridiculous prices.

4  Thank mentaltraveller
Reviewed November 4, 2013

In Brighton for a writers convention, I went along to the restaurant with several friends, on the recommendation of one of them. We were quickly accomodated (he'd pre-booked but we had an additional person) and service was quick and efficient, though I felt the menu was limited. The food was good, service was attentive without being over-bearing and the restaurant had a nice atmosphere.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

This is the first time I have ordered a delivery from The Chilli Pickle Canteen and it will now be my takeaway of choice. I just enjoyed a Grand Thali and all of the elements were amazing, even the packaging it arrived in. Some items I would have never chosen from the menu and now will definitely do so when I next dine in the restaurant! I had the Chicken curry for my main dish and the meat was really tender and moist. However the surprise favourite was a side dish of Miloni Sabzi. I look forward to trying new dishes the next time I order the Thali.

1  Thank LHRobbo
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We have tried this place a couple of times now the first time was Ok but the last time we took friends and had the buffet. It was really not very good and I felt more than alittle embarressed that we had took our friends here. The buffet was cold and all tasted very similar with 3 mild curry's if you're doing a buffet surely you would cater for everyones taste with mild, medium and hot curry's offered. It is such a shame as we use to love the Sitar and a bring you own but sadly will not be returning here.

1  Thank northernlass04