“A Magic Chilli Carpet Ride!”
Review of The Chilli Pickle

The Chilli Pickle
Ranked #50 of 1,140 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: 8 Years ago when Dawn and I were working in Dubai and she was expecting Stanley, we decided it was time to settle down and shed the expat lifestyle. After working as a chef for over a period of 20 years overseas, gaining experience and knowledge in a range of eclectic cuisines in world class hotels and restaurants with the latter years spent leading kitchen brigades, I felt it was time to "go it alone". Having both traveled to India on numerous occasions with a shared passion for it's food and culture as well as an inspirational stint at 'The Cinnamon Club' and there being a big Indian influence in the kitchens in Dubai which I also embraced, the decision for our future restaurant to be Indian felt very natural to us both and so The Chilli Pickle was born. The last time I worked in Brighton 28 years ago was as a silver service banquet waiter at the Metropole Hotel whilst studying catering at Brighton Tech (now City College). Dawn has always loved Brighton from regular visits whilst living in London and I've always had a soft spot for Brighton and the fact we were doing something quite different we knew it was the perfect place to start. After searching for the right property for nearly a year we found a spot in the cobbled lanes amongst the jewellery and antique shops in Meeting House Lane. The space was perfect. 50 Covers with a real bistro feel to it and a functional but small kitchen space. With an initial slow start The Chilli Pickle gradually grew through word of mouth and the support of our now regular clientele. As we got busier and gained feedback from diners we knew we were on the right track and so our confidence grew and our style became more clearly defined. After two and a half years at Meeting House Lane an opportunity came our way that we felt we could not refuse... A move to the restaurant space at myhotel Brighton. We knew this was a big step for us, but believed we had something special in The Chilli Pickle and had the passion and drive to continue to make this work along with the constant support of our original core team as well as some new additions. After 4 years in our new venue we have gone from strength to strength. The restaurant has grown in reputation nationally as well as locally with numerous awards and most importantly we continue to welcome our regulars back and enjoy meeting new customers. We also provide The Chilli Pickle Canteen - a delivery service offering a unique experience of in-home Indian dining. Bespoke boxed Grand Thalis, Railways Trays & Biryani Sets all inspired by our travels to India. We are very proud of what we have achieved and are excited about the future. We will retain our standards all the way with attention to detail, consistency and a love for what we do. Alun Sperring Chef/Director
Brighton, United Kingdom
“A Magic Chilli Carpet Ride!”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

A lot of us tend to review restaurants and hotels abroad on the basis of one holiday visit, at the expense of what we all know well in our home town, me included...until now.

Trouble is, there just aren't enough circles to properly rate it - this truly is a fantastic place. The chefs hail from various parts of the Indian sub continent and bring old family recipes that Chilli Pickle tweak, re-boot and evolve.

It sounds inconceivable, but this, truly, is one of the few places on Earth where I have zoned out to another state of consciousness whilst eating - the setting and conversation just haze out as I'm transported on a magic chilli carpet ride: this doesn't happen every time of course, but it can and has, the nearest current incumbent being the mussels rasam. They have also re-invented the wheel in respect of desserts from "wouldn't even consider" in traditional Indian restaurants, to "must save room for".

Cards on table: we went to CP week one in it's original location, and have become disciples, and know the owners quite well, but such allegiance in a city blessed with a clutch of very good and excellent restaurants, is not easily maintained, but Chilli Pickle, along with the mercurial Terre a Terre, stride like Colossoses! Who needs Michelin stars?! PS - book ahead!

We love living in Brighton!

Dartmouth, United Kingdom
“Curry with a difference”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Indian food with a new twist.......well presented.......tried the tandoori whole Sea Bream....delicately spiced...good portion size.....cooked to perfection.......unfortunately no room for a sweet

Surrey
“A revelation!”
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

I visited the chilli pickle for the first time last night. The first thing that hit me was the amazing aroma as you walked in. The restaurant was full and the atmosphere was good. Really incredibly helpful and friendly waiter. The food was amazing, full of flavour. My only disappointment was I had no room for desert !

Brighton, England, United Kingdom
“It's OK, not great...”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I like the ambition of the menu, but the food doesn't deliver anything particularly memorable. A lot of the meat feels under-marinated. Starters beat the main courses for imagination, but the menu doesn't change much from visit to visit, meaning after two visits now, I probably won't be going back. I used to go to their previous incarnation in the Lanes. A much better atmosphere there. This feels very corporate and tends to be frequented by large parties. Worth going if you think the last word in curry is a Vindaloo, as this will prove a real eye-opener. But for anyone who's sampled any other modern Indian cuisine, this feels fairly standard. A five year old Lanes concept now being touted to the masses. Still, better than most Brighton curry houses. Their delivery service is very good.

1 Thank Emlyn R
“Disappointing Dosa!”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I'm a big lover of authentic Indian food, and always get quite excited at the thought of a good masala dosa. I have to say I was very very disappointed. Instead of being light, crispy and hot I had the exact opposite, thick, stodgy and cold. What a let down. Not authentic at all. The only saving grace was the rose ice cream which was to die for. I would definitely go back, but just for dessert!

1 Thank EmmaBonobo