“Top lunch”
Review of Plateau

Plateau
Ranked #36 of 1,139 Restaurants in Brighton
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Independent bar à vin, restaurant & cocktail bar based in The Lanes, BrightonWe are a unique bar à vin & restaurant with a passion for great food & wine. We have put a great deal of time & love into selecting our wines. At Plateau you can discover interesting & affordable wines that you are unlikely to see on other local wine lists. Our selection is mostly natural with some biodynamic & organic examples. We have sourced wines from local Sussex producers to renowned names & newcomers. To soak up the wine we serve ‘bites’, small dishes perfect to share or great as a starter. Follow your ‘bites’ with a ‘plateau’ to share or a 'plat' & that’s our dinner experience… although don’t forget dessert! Our chefs source organic, fresh, local produce as much as possible.Did we mention the cocktails? They’re probably the best in town & although we don’t serve Carlsberg we do serve some pretty imaginative beers from around the world. We have some top quality spirits, including some rare rum, whisky & cognac…and I almost forgot, keep an eye out for the ‘cocktail de la semaine’ & ‘beer of the moment’.There is no set way to visit Plateau, you can match the wine to the food or the food to the wine. Pop in just for a drink, a few bites or a three-course meal – the idea is that you do whatever suits you.
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
“Top lunch”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Had a lovely lunch in July, was a really friendly place and the welcome on arrival was super.
Service with a smile and a great lunch with a lovely bottle of Rose :)
Was good value for money as well.

Visited July 2014

London, United Kingdom
“Great food & friendly service”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Great location and trendy place in the city centre of Brighton. I would recommend to book for weekend dinner - we stopped by in the afternoon and were lucky to get a table for the same evening. Interesting wines & drink menu - the team will able to guide you through your choices and make you try new things (organic cider to start). Great sharing platters and desserts. Lovely evening in Brighton!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Charline B
Greater London, United Kingdom
“Great French restaurant, nice good and staff”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I was looking at a place to eat in Brighton on Tripadvisor and the first which came was this one with so many nice reviews ! So finally, as I always trust Tripadvisor, we went with my family.

It's quite nice inside, the decoration is very Frenchie !

Finally we realized quickly that the waiters were all French so it was nice for my parents (we're French).

All the food was really fresh, I took the crispy fish (like a fish and chips but without the chips so a little bit more healthy). The fish was really really good and fresh. My father took a bavette and my mother a salad with boudin and stuffs. Everything was really good. Only thing, the portions are very light. If you're used to eat a lot you won't be satisfied at the end of your lunch, except if you take some bites before, then it should be okay. The plate of cheeses was amazing it was so good to eat French fresh cheese !!! Not sure if English would like that because the camembert was at the limit....! Very strong then.

It's just in front of the town hall so it's nice and closed to so seaside. I recommend everybody to go there, food is really good quality.

Bolney, England
“Very French”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Trendy, young adult venue. The metal chairs need trendy, young adult figures to fit! Very French food - we had to ask for some translation. 4 of us went for dinner. Food is not essential to a good evening here - there seemed to be plenty of people just drinking what looked like a milky cocktail which was obviously very popular. We ordered sharing platters to start (nothing terribly exciting - either fish or meat and something you could assemble at home) but the individual mains were well-executed and interesting. The wine list was interesting with natural wines on offer, but the wine buffs in our party found our red too new with little complexity, and swapped it for something else. My advice is to peruse at least the wine list in advance. Overall a very enjoyable evening and the place was buzzing.

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Great food, great service”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

This was my 2nd visit to Plateau - I just had to come back for another helping! I had such a great meal the first time that I stuck to the same thing this time round - the plaice, which came with mussels, lardon, chargrilled leeks, potato galette and a delicious creamy cider sauce. It was just as good the 2nd time round. I also ordered a side of mixed vegetables which was a serving of about 5 different types of veg - delicous. The waiting staff are extremely helpful and efficient - bottled tap water is placed on the table on arrival and refilled when needed, there's an extensive wine and cocktail list - I could see there were a few people sat on stools at the bar so you really can just pop in for a cocktail and maybe a platter to share. The main room is at street level, but I think they also have a dining room upstairs and there are a few tables outside on the pavement as well. When the restaurant is full there is a buzzy atmosphere. Service is included and they even put put on the receipt the cost per person in case you are splitting the bill - very handy when there are a few of you I expect. I never know what to put for the cost per peson but for 2 mains, a side of veg, half carafe of wine, soft drink and a coffee it was £56 with service - so it's probably in the £££ range rather than my usual ££ - I definitely plan to come back and try out the rest of the menu.

1 Thank lianewil