“Second Visit - Just as Wonderful”
Review of Plateau

Plateau
Ranked #34 of 1,139 Restaurants in Brighton
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Independent bar à vin, restaurant & cocktail bar based in The Lanes, BrightonWe are a unique bar à vin & restaurant with a passion for great food & wine. We have put a great deal of time & love into selecting our wines. At Plateau you can discover interesting & affordable wines that you are unlikely to see on other local wine lists. Our selection is mostly natural with some biodynamic & organic examples. We have sourced wines from local Sussex producers to renowned names & newcomers. To soak up the wine we serve ‘bites’, small dishes perfect to share or great as a starter. Follow your ‘bites’ with a ‘plateau’ to share or a 'plat' & that’s our dinner experience… although don’t forget dessert! Our chefs source organic, fresh, local produce as much as possible.Did we mention the cocktails? They’re probably the best in town & although we don’t serve Carlsberg we do serve some pretty imaginative beers from around the world. We have some top quality spirits, including some rare rum, whisky & cognac…and I almost forgot, keep an eye out for the ‘cocktail de la semaine’ & ‘beer of the moment’.There is no set way to visit Plateau, you can match the wine to the food or the food to the wine. Pop in just for a drink, a few bites or a three-course meal – the idea is that you do whatever suits you.
UK
“Second Visit - Just as Wonderful”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

After a fantastic meal at Plateau back in November, we booked again during our weekend in Brighton for our 5th Wedding Anniversary. We walked in and asked for a table the next night, they were pretty booked up but offered us a 9.30 table (perfect time for us anyway).

What I really like is that the service here is effortless and laid-back. It's friendly and welcoming but also it has personality and the waiting staff are not at all stuffy.

My husband had oysters to start (£11 for 6 - Bargain!!) and I just had a cocktail. He really enjoyed them, they were really fresh and the vinegarette was lovely.

For mains, my husband has Onglet Steak, Chips and Salad (Only £16!! and the plate was huge!) He said it was fantastic, perfectly cooked medium rare.

I had colcannon of lamb, lamb tongue, garlic risotto with feta and asparagus (Only £17!! and such a plateful!!) Now I've never eaten tongue before but I had a little liquid courage from the cocktail(s) and that meal including the tongue was one of the best I have ever eaten. I would never have normally chosen a mean like that, but as Plateau's menu is small and mostly specials, I chanced it. It was perfection!

Now we were so full we couldn't manage a dessert and we both have big appetites!

So So impressed with Plateau and I wouldn't think twice about booking for our next visit.

• Visited May 2014

“Dinner at Plateau - FAB”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Wonderful dinner at Plateau, Meat and Fish plate for starters, Steak for main course, could not manage a dessert. Service fantastic, food absolutely beautiful.

Swansea County, United Kingdom
“Wonderful meal , great atmosphere”
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

Called in on a busy Friday night and asked if they had a table for 2 . They told us they could fit us in 20 mins , so had a drink at the bar . Atmosphere was very nice . We ordered the mixed meats dish to share as a starter , and they were all very tasty . My wife ordered saddle of Lamb and she said it was first class . I ordered hake with cockles , and it was really good . We had organic white whine with the meal and I also had 2 organic lagers . All very good . And after a break we had the 4 desert dishes to share . They were all truly scrumptious . Top notch meal . The staff were very attentive and Made it a meal to remember . The bill came to £102 with service charge and was WELL worth it .

1 Thank sezle
brighton
“Nice place”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

First time here, had a nicely cooked lunch and some interesting wines. My starter was well cooked sea trout, cockles, peas and a lettuce liquor. It tasted really refreshing. Trout was under-seasoned, but the pickle from the cockles lifted the flavours. Partner had spiced pigeon which was nice, but a little dry.
My main was mackerel, again under seasoned, but again the vinegar from the accompanying pickled cucumber lifted the flavour. Partner had ox cheeks, which were very good in an unctious sauce.
Service was initially excellent, from a European lady, but we were there during a shift change and service slipped greatly as that happened. I wanted to try the tasty sounding desserts, but as no-one came to take my order for 15 minutes I ran out of time, so asked them for the bill as I was in a hurry. But unfortunately I was left waiting another 5 minutes, before I had to stand up and go to the bar area to ask for my bill.
This looks like a really good place to eat modern dishes, and I will go again, but I'll try to avoid the shift change.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Mark M
Cambridge
“Gorgeous food”
Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

We were a last knockings table of six and even though they were nearing the end of service we were treated wonderfully. We order small plates to share and some lovely sparkling wine. The atmosphere was really welcoming and friendly. I can't wait to go back and sample some more of the menu and wines.