“Delightful Lunch”
Review of Plateau

Plateau
Ranked #40 of 1,168 Restaurants in Brighton
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Independent bar à vin, restaurant & cocktail bar based in The Lanes, BrightonWe are a unique bar à vin & restaurant with a passion for great food & wine. We have put a great deal of time & love into selecting our wines. At Plateau you can discover interesting & affordable wines that you are unlikely to see on other local wine lists. Our selection is mostly natural with some biodynamic & organic examples. We have sourced wines from local Sussex producers to renowned names & newcomers. To soak up the wine we serve ‘bites’, small dishes perfect to share or great as a starter. Follow your ‘bites’ with a ‘plateau’ to share or a 'plat' & that’s our dinner experience… although don’t forget dessert! Our chefs source organic, fresh, local produce as much as possible.Did we mention the cocktails? They’re probably the best in town & although we don’t serve Carlsberg we do serve some pretty imaginative beers from around the world. We have some top quality spirits, including some rare rum, whisky & cognac…and I almost forgot, keep an eye out for the ‘cocktail de la semaine’ & ‘beer of the moment’.There is no set way to visit Plateau, you can match the wine to the food or the food to the wine. Pop in just for a drink, a few bites or a three-course meal – the idea is that you do whatever suits you.
Reviewed November 18, 2013

A friend and I was visiting Brighton for the weekend and we were lucky enough to be passing by and noticed Plateau's lunch menu outside. There was a vast choice and the prices were very reasonable. Upon entering we were greeted by a very friendly member of staff. We were allowed to choose our own table and decided to sit away from other diners which was no problem at all. The atmosphere was buzzy and the music playing was very cool. We had pretty much decided what we wanted to eat straight away, I went for the braised ox cheek while my friend decided to go for mussels. We also had a glass of wine each (if you're a fan of Riesling I recommend you have a glass or two here it's devine). The food was delightful and sufficient and we were both left very content. I thoroughly recommend this restaurant and will visit again when back in Brighton.

There are newer reviews for Plateau

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We were lucky enough to get a last minute table reservation at Plateau on a Saturday night at 9.30. So pleased because we were entertaining with visiting friends.

The atmosphere was lively, friendly, funky, and intimate. Perfect for the four of us. The tunes played all night were mellow lounge beats so it gave a young, but not too young vibe (we're in our 40's).

The menu was varied and just the right amount of choice, from sharing platters to individual main dishes. When the food came, it was out of this world and surpassed our expectations. The Ox cheek and Steak were incredibly tender and very tasty and the Haddock and shellfish bouillabaisse was divine! Perfect wine to accompany, followed by scrummy pudidngs, although I couldn't finish mine as was too full!

I am so impressed with this fab little restaurant that I've booked again for next weekend as I have more friends visiting!!

Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Having read all the great reviews thought I'd check this place out again (not been for 6 months or so). Back then, thought it was good, though expensive. This time, still expensive but taken a few steps backwards. The menu is limited and the food is served quite tepid and lacking imagination. Flavours just ok. The wine list is large but short on choice and originality at the low / medium price bracket. The service level extends between the extremes of helpful / friendly to cold / unhelpful depending on who comes to your table. Overall, for us, a disappointing experience.

1  Thank BiggestHank
Vincent L, Owner at Plateau, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

I am very sorry that you haven’t been completely satisfied on you last visit & I apologies if your food was tepid.

We have chosen to focus on the raw product. It’s quality & provenance, as noble & local as possible. Our cooking is resolutely bistro, emphasising on the products true flavour. We are not aiming to have an extensive menu, there is more than enough to choose from & it changes all the time.

We have the same approach with our natural wine list. We spend a day a week, sourcing, tasting & changing wines on it. Like with our kitchen’s ingredients, our wines are produced in small quantities, without chemicals. They cost a little bit more, like other ethical things. Furthermore, we do have competitive prices when comparing to similar establishments & a lot of cracking wines under £30 (31 actually).

Finally, I support my staff; they are professional, knowledgeable, polite, interesting & extremely dedicated in giving you an excellent moment.
We are very sorry that you didn’t see this.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

The food was excellent, lots of seafood choices. The wine and cocktails are out of this world, and these are always accompanied with some nuts and olives. The service is superb. Slightly more expensive than other places, but worth the money. Great to spend a classy evening with friends.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

We had 2 magnificent meals at Plateau. It's very busy, so best to book, but it is well worthwhile. Beautiful wines, excellent food and brilliant service. Friendly and fun atmosphere.