“Friendly, tasty and cool”
Review of Plateau

Plateau
Ranked #41 of 1,176 Restaurants in Brighton
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Independent bar à vin, restaurant & cocktail bar based in The Lanes, BrightonWe are a unique bar à vin & restaurant with a passion for great food & wine. We have put a great deal of time & love into selecting our wines. At Plateau you can discover interesting & affordable wines that you are unlikely to see on other local wine lists. Our selection is mostly natural with some biodynamic & organic examples. We have sourced wines from local Sussex producers to renowned names & newcomers. To soak up the wine we serve ‘bites’, small dishes perfect to share or great as a starter. Follow your ‘bites’ with a ‘plateau’ to share or a 'plat' & that’s our dinner experience… although don’t forget dessert! Our chefs source organic, fresh, local produce as much as possible.Did we mention the cocktails? They’re probably the best in town & although we don’t serve Carlsberg we do serve some pretty imaginative beers from around the world. We have some top quality spirits, including some rare rum, whisky & cognac…and I almost forgot, keep an eye out for the ‘cocktail de la semaine’ & ‘beer of the moment’.There is no set way to visit Plateau, you can match the wine to the food or the food to the wine. Pop in just for a drink, a few bites or a three-course meal – the idea is that you do whatever suits you.
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Really nice, slightly pricey, little bistro in the Lanes. Beautifully presented food and fantastic wines. The staff were very helpful and knowledgable. Would visit again.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Visited here to catch up with a friend I had not seen in a long while, after reading reviews on Trip Advisor. Couldn't have worked out better. Staff were attentive, helpful, friendly and delightfully respectful, never rushing us. The food perfectly suited a long slow 'lunch' chatting and whiling away the afternoon. Fish platter was particularly good. Agree with comment below, not my favourite ever wine, but that was my choice and it won't stop me returning to try a different one. Nice ambiance. Really enjoyed it here - great combo offering something different without being pretentious. Will most definitely return.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

well presented, freshly cooked - value for money food, such a pleasure to eat in something that is not part of a chain, one of the reasons I go to Brighton

Reviewed May 29, 2013

We found Plateau by chance as we wandered by one lunchtime. The wine was delicious and Mr Reasonable and I shared a fish platter which we really enjoyed. A beautiful selection of pollock, mackeral, moules and fishcakes served in different ways, but making a delicious whole. Service was friendly and the sun shone long enough for us to sit outside. Despite being warned about seagulls we had no problems at all. MR and I loved Plateau and we're already planning our next visit.

1  Thank Jenny D
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My partner and I ate here on Bank Holiday Monday. We originally wanted to eat in a French Restaurant just around the corner from Plateau but the prices were extortionate. Plateau is very good value indeed! Our starters were amazing - I had tomato salad with fennel compote and goats curd. It was so delicious! My partner's ham hock looked amazing and apparently tasted amazing too!

For main course we both opted for Steak Frites. Oh my, it was divine! The steak is top quality and the chips are amazing. My stomach is churning away just thinking about it now. Even the salad dressing is noteworthy for it's fantastic taste.

For dessert we opted to share the rhubarb cheesecake but we could easily have eaten one each. This isn't because it's small - it's not! - it's because it was superb.

I really couldn't fault my visit to Plateau. The wine was great - £17 a bottle for their house red and it's very drinkable - and the service was excellent. This was my third visit and they get better each time. I've also eaten in their sister restaurant, Mange Tout in Trafalgar Street by Brighton station, and can recommend there too.

Having just moved to London from Brighton, Plateau is definitely one of the things I'm going to miss and will make a beeline there each time I return.