“Excellent”
Review of Plateau

Plateau
Ranked #47 of 1,189 Restaurants in Brighton
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Independent bar à vin, restaurant & cocktail bar based in The Lanes, BrightonWe are a unique bar à vin & restaurant with a passion for great food & wine. We have put a great deal of time & love into selecting our wines. At Plateau you can discover interesting & affordable wines that you are unlikely to see on other local wine lists. Our selection is mostly natural with some biodynamic & organic examples. We have sourced wines from local Sussex producers to renowned names & newcomers. To soak up the wine we serve ‘bites’, small dishes perfect to share or great as a starter. Follow your ‘bites’ with a ‘plateau’ to share or a 'plat' & that’s our dinner experience… although don’t forget dessert! Our chefs source organic, fresh, local produce as much as possible.Did we mention the cocktails? They’re probably the best in town & although we don’t serve Carlsberg we do serve some pretty imaginative beers from around the world. We have some top quality spirits, including some rare rum, whisky & cognac…and I almost forgot, keep an eye out for the ‘cocktail de la semaine’ & ‘beer of the moment’.There is no set way to visit Plateau, you can match the wine to the food or the food to the wine. Pop in just for a drink, a few bites or a three-course meal – the idea is that you do whatever suits you.
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Great atmosphere, superb service and fantastic food. The belly pork was amazing and the limoncello doughnuts were fantastic. My husband was as greedy as ever and didn't share his monkfish with razor clams and prawns - he ate every morsel!! Try the sharing plateau - we had smoked fish with tayberries, Best night out we have had for a long time...

1  Thank DevonNicnac

Reviewed April 20, 2013

We went to this restaurant for my sons birthday with his partner, my daughter and my husband. The restaurant was very busy and it was a Saturday night but the service was very slow. We sat with our drinks for at least half an hour before our order was taken and then the food was very slow to arrive. The menu is divided into starters or tapas , a few main courses and platters to share. We had the starters of squid which was good and bread with dips. We chose each of the platters between us meat ,fish and vegetable which were all good and very good chips. we could not summon up the energy to wait for a pudding although I had my eye on the doughnuts with limoncello . However the quality of food was marred by the long wait. The restaurant is located in a popular part of town so should expect to be busy. We probably wont go back as in Brighton there is a lot of choice where the food is is as better and quicker.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We've been to Plateau for lunch but this was the first time for dinner.We were lucky to get a table[booking advised]and we had a really good all round experience.The panfried pollock was sensational.Very good value wines.

2  Thank scartwright110
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I brought a colleague in here last week - we were tight on time, but explained that when we placed our order. The service was faultless, and the food still just as lovely as ever! The staff were just about enough to provide good service without being too obvious despite our time limitations.

1  Thank francesl
Reviewed April 12, 2013

This was my first visit to plateau and I would def go again. The atmosphere was great all evening, never feeling too busy but a lovely buzz while dining. The team were all very friendly and super helpful, their wine advice was spot on and very comprehensive...they knew just bout everything possible about their food and wine, including origin which was a lovely touch. A couple of negatives, I had the crab starter which wasn't what I was expecting and not as flavoursome as others I have had. My steak was cooked well but it was a very fatty cut, which was unfortunate. The desserts and cheese board were lovely. On the whole the food was good and drinks sublime. It's not the cheapest place but it's worth the money and a great option for taking business clients.

2  Thank Hannah S