“Enjoyable Pub grub with great service”
Review of The Ginger Dog

The Ginger Dog
Ranked #119 of 1,154 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dorking, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable Pub grub with great service”
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

We booked for Sunday lunch after a beach walk with the fur child! We chose to eat in the bar as the restaurant was very busy. The staff were VERY welcoming and friendly, they even had a treat for the dog. Nice stools at the bar ( I normally find them uncomfortable) and a lovely dog bowl full of fresh water! Very relaxed atmos! Open fire!

I would say the food was fairly good pub grub! Nice warm bread offered on arrival (minus the butter) and a bottle of water for every table!

I would say the dishes were a little rushed between courses. The veggies were perfectly cooked, roast potatoes were disappointing - I would go as far as to say they were frozen. The rest was very nice - slow cooked pork with a delicious gravy and stuffing!

Would go again if I fancy some decent pub grub!

Dorking, United Kingdom
“sweet sunday”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Anyone who has a dog will know the trials of enquiring at a pub/restaurant whether they can bring their dog in. A place that invites your dog, is always going to be a good start. When the bar is as and chill and friendly, and the food is as good as we experienced on sunday afternoon, they are onto a winner. One of the nicest experiences for George the black lab and his owners for a while. The service is very good. The food prices are fiar for the quality. All dog owners out wont be disappointed. We recommend the front of the place as there is more room for your dog to relax.

• Visited March 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Disappointing Meal accompanied by Rude Staff”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I don't often write reviews but I am still so upset by my dining experience yesterday that I have to get it out! I have been to the Ginger Dog for meals before and have always been very satisfied, the food a little pricey but well worth it for an extra little treat. My friend and I were so looking forward to catching up over a lovely Sunday lunch but my meal was disappointing. The roast potatoes floury even as is if they were old and going off and the lamb very fatty and overcooked. So when the waitress asked if everything was ok with the meal? I said actually I was a little disappointed. She promptly got the Manager who said for me to cut the middle of the meat in front of her (?) when I did so and it was still over cooked she said that was because the hot gravy had cooked it (hmmm?!) She asked if I would like another one in a way which made me feel I should say no it is OK so I did um and arh but then said "actually that would be great yes please". Although the new meal brought out was a vast improvement I felt a very frosty attitude from staff and when I asked if I could please have some mustard she replied "what as well as mint"! Other diners started commenting "your brave we don't like ours but they don't like people complaining and it's so near our home so we still come here" and another "well done I had to ask for mint sauce and they didn't bring me any"..I ordered a small red wine and when a large arrived I felt too uncomfortable to say actually it was a small having already been labelled a complainer! No discount was offered or a free pudding or anything just a general attitude of who was I to answer honestly to the question "Is everything ok with your meal". I am so gutted as I have enjoyed good quality food here before and friendlier staff but myself and my friends will not be totting up large bills here again. No way...

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Lacey35
West Sussex
“Still not sure about this place”
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

For the second time, we went there for lunch. The first time was when it opened so plenty of time to change for better or worse.
We decided to go for the restaurant at the back which IMO lacks of warmth, decent chairs and proper lightning (with insight we should have moved back to the bar). Blinded by spotlights on a woody seat wasn't that great.
Presented with the menu, no mention of the specials. Given we were there with another table of 2, I don't think they were rushed so initial contact was rather dull.
Decided to go for the pork chop which was absolutely enormous and joining on a previous comment, althought we asked for well done it still came pinkish. Presentation wasn't great with lots of smudges on the plate.
No desire to try deserts and absolutely full anyway. I don't think I'll be going back there with so many great places to go to in Brighton. It's a tough world out there.

United Kingdom
“Treats for my dog too!”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I had an early Saturday dinner with a friend and my dog. We had a table in the bar area rather than the restaurant. We were spoilt for choice with the menu. I went for steak and fat chips while my friend had lamb. We had wine by the glass and the staff were very helpful with our choice.
They even had a treat for my dog.
Informal, very good pub food.

• Visited February 2013