“Lovely restaurant”

The Townhouse Restaurant
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located in the vibrant Kemp Town area of Brighton, The Townhouse provides a welcome change from stuffy restaurant dining, offering relaxed service and wonderful food. Utterly chilled out, The Townhouse not only has a dining room and bar in which to enjoy the company of friends, but a piano room where guests gather around the baby grand to sip wine and enjoy the tinkling of the ivories.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Lovely restaurant”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

The atmosphere was great and the food superb! I would recommend this to everyone who wants to taste excellent food at decent prices.

brighton
“Jury's out”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Ate here last week for the first time since the new chef Malcolm Campbell arrived. The food is definitely much better than it used to be, with some really interesting and innovative touches. But the meal was let down by poor service which directly led to me spending less money on my meal (by deciding not to have a dessert) - something the owners need to think about and address.

We arrived on time for a 7pm reservation. Seeing some people enjoying a cocktail put me in the mood for one too, but we were shown to a table and given menus by a French lady, who then left without asking if we wanted a drink. Someone else came and started pouring water into glasses without us saying anything, so I asked if it was tap or filtered water, and on being told tap, I ordered some sparkling mineral water instead. When it came I asked the waitress about the fixed price dinner menu advertised on their website, but she told us in a gruff manner that that was only available up to 7pm. Their website doesn't say that at all, and my reservation was for 7pm, but hey ho, we stuck with the a la carte without question or fuss. We both had some questions about the menu and as soon as the waitress answered them we placed our order. But as that decision was taken there and then, I hadn't been able to choose which wines we wanted, so the waitress left us to decide. At this stage there were roughly 5 covers in the restuarant, so the waitress and waiter were not busy, yet she didn't notice my waving, or hear me call her several times. A full 10 minutes later she came over and rather bluntly asked if I had made my mind up yet! So it was that 30 minutes had passed from my thirsty arrival that I was served a drink.

The food was pretty good and portions were generous. I started with an unusual but tasty ham hock and black pudding terrine, deep fried in breadcrumbs. It came with some nice apple balls and a deliciously mild sauerkraut which worked a treat. Some sort of rough powder on the side though was like eating gravel.
My main was pork belly served with a really good deep fried ball of pig's cheek, an outstanding smoked cheese risotto, and a lovely jus. The belly itself lacked flavour, but the rest of the dish was excellent. That's why my overall opinion is that this chef is skilled and innovative, but as with all innovators, a little bit more practice is needed here and there to make the dishes truly shine.
Unfortunately, because of the poor service, we decided not to bother with dessert or coffees.

London, United Kingdom
“Great food and welcoming atmosphere”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is a very popular warm and welcoming little restaurant serving great modern British food with well chosen quality wines. I'd recommend booking as it does get very busy. Service is friendly and informed although it can be a bit disorganised under pressure (so be prepared to persevere). We've noticed this over several visits, but they do rally well and make sure you have an enjoyable time. Decor is simple and clean and the experience is made all the better by live piano which comes through nicely from the bar. Prices are reasonable for the quality, ambience and service. Well worth a visit. There is a pleasant view to the side from a large bay window, although the main frontage is to the road.

Jersey, CI
“Nice place for food and ambience”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Had a nice meal, staff were excellent - great customer service. A couple of our food choices were not available so they compensated us with a complimentary sharing plate. All we ate was good. Really nice to have a piano/singer in the background - added a nice ambience without it being overpowering. Only issue is that a service charge is added directly to your bill but the staff don't actually get it so make sure you get that taken off and leave a cash tip!

Visited October 2013
Budapest, Hungary
“Amazing dinner in a lovely restaurant”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We went there with a couple of friends, and we had an unforgettable dinner! There was a pianist, playing wonderful music, while we ate super-duper-delicious food!! We get an amazing appetizer, made by Chef Malcolm which made our whole group *hmmmm*-ing for minutes...It was not just perfect, but beyond that- new, exciting, amazing!! I think the BEST appetizer i've ever had in my life. (And I could eat a whole bowl from that, anytime!) Then i had a chicken meal and it was great: juicy, full of flavours, oooh-my-god...! At that point i was sure i'll get a desert, cause I knew it's also gonna be amazing...And Chef Malcolm didn't disappoint me, of course :) I think, he's the best in town, and The Townhouse is a MUST place in Brighton!! Fast and professional staff, lovely atmosphere, and the food is AMAZING!!