“Beautiful food and a warm atmosphere”
Review of 24 St Georges - CLOSED

24 St Georges
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We no longer use bookatable for reservations please go to our web site to book.
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We visited this friendly restaurant on a Friday night. The staff were lovely and just attentive enough and the restaurant is a nice lovely, romantic place to spend a couple of hours, although when the sun went down it was rather dark!

We received a complimentary amuse bouche which was a warm, savoury concoction in a shot glass and some bread. Quickly after we received our starters which were stunning to look at (which was a little tricky in the near dark!). The chefs are obviously very talented at making things look almost too beautiful to eat! Unfortunately, my starter, the 'William Tell' lacked seasoning and needed a sauce or something to pull it all together. It was a clever dish with a great concept behind it but unfortunately, it just didn't work tastewise. The half crumb, half scone like consistency of the carb element (I'm not sure whether to call it bread or something completely different) wasn't very pleasant to eat and wasn't the best platform for the parfait, which was lovely. My partner had a lot more success with his starter of quail, although this too lacked seasoning.

My main of beef fillet was delicious and hearty. My partner's John Dory fillet with lobster rissotto was tasty but lacked finesse on the plate. The fish fillet size more suitable to a small female than a man with a voracious appetite (needless to say he ate half of mine)!

My only other critique, and I am being fussy, was that the wine glasses were heavy and cheap, which I felt cheapened the wine we had chosen.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

My wife and I took our son to 24 St. Georges for a meal during a 3 day trip to Brighton.
My son is a joint owner of a restaurant in Putney so I was a little uneasy about taking him somewhere we had never been before. How delighted we all were with the whole experience. The staff were delightful, the food was excellent, the wine list was not overpriced and the whole experience was a joy. It was my son who commented 'best meal I have had this year!' Thanks Dad' - a pleasure son! - we will definitely return on our next trip to Brighton

2  Thank Daavid R
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Went Saturday night, everything from initial greeting through to the point we left was spot on, staff were attentive but not over powering, food was excellent, all fantastically presented and a feast for he taste buds. We had the goats cheese and salt cod starters, the salt cod being an unusual but stunning dish, followed by the duck and plaice mains. The real highlight was the desserts we had the chocolate and the lemon and rhubarb both we're stunning. Don't miss out on the mohito sorbet intercourse though, I could have easily polished off a bowl full. A great evening, can't praise the place enough will be back very soon..cheers

2  Thank barshimmy
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Amazing, one of the best meals I've ever eaten. We had mackerel and quail starters, the pork for main, chocolate orange and the rhubarb desserts. Food was faultless.Fantastic value for money also..

Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Found 24 St George's on Trip Advisor and on the whole was pleased.

The food was good. An imaginative, modern menu well executed. I can not fault the menu at all.

The only gripe was the service. Initially it felt a bit rushed yet lacked the attentiveness you'd like to expect; almost like they were trying to turn the table round to squeeze another few covers in.

Additionally, the tables seemed to be somewhat squeezed in, intimacy with the chap on the table next door wasn't really what I was hoping for! Less is more.

Personally I'm probably unlikely to return, but glad to have tried 24 St George's for myself.

1  Thank BennySmalls