“Disappointing”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I have been to "After 5" yesterday for the first time. I got a Tom Kha soup as a starter and Chicken Teriyaki Don as my main. The service was quick and the food hot, but both dishes were unsatisfying.

The soup was clearly made by mixing canned coconut milk with water. It contained completely tasteless mushrooms and squid. Only the shrimps were just decent.

The Teriyaki chicken was breaded and fried, which is not the way it should be, and submerged into plum sauce, which is not the same as teriyaki. Apart from being something completely different from its description, the dish was also very bland. On top of that, the rice looked more like a paste than actual rice, as it was grossly overcooked.

I suspect that "After 5" changed management recently, thus justifying some of the good reviews in TripAdvisor.

1  Thank coccoinomane

Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Ordered and collected from here tonight. Duck,beef and chicken balls. Tasted incredibly fresh and so yummy! Honestly best Chinese Ive had in ages and very quick service!!!! Finally found our local

1  Thank ninny1986
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Reading the recent Trip Advisor reports, it's clear to me that visiting After 5 is a bit hit and miss but I have to say that on the few occasions I have got my food from After 5, it has been fine, not outstanding, but fine. Lets face it, this is a takeaway-only establishment; I'm not expecting high-end food. I think what After 5 needs to work on is its consistency. Waterloo Street (not Road as it is registered here) is a great little venue for capturing passing traffic and for this reason alone, I hope that After 5 rises to the challenge that recent Trip Advisor visitors have clearly set it.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We've been having takeaway from here for a few years and its been fine...

...however, recently they insist on charging extra to change sauces included in the set menus. I.e. for changing sweet & sour to curry sauce, a change that costs nothing to them.

The food has also gone downhill too with regular variations in quality and taste. Don't go here if you want consistently good food!!

A shame as it has been good in the past!!

Try new lotus in seven dials instead.

Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

3/05/13 I ordered veg spring rolls and two types of bean curd and Singapore noodles and couldn't eat any of it, the bean curd was dry and overcooked with a lumpy sauce - the noodles tasted dry and like it had a cheep nasty sauce with raw vegetables with it... was really dissapointing expecially how expensive it is what is more annoying is that I was overcharged by 3 pounds aswell and made to pay 2 pounds for delivery even though I live in hove - will never be going there again was absolutely discussing