“Warm and tasty”
Review of Iydea

Iydea
Ranked #43 of 1,209 Restaurants in Brighton
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: Iydea is a small and very busy express vegetarian canteen right in the heart of Brighton's North Laine area. All the food is freshly made and is on display so you can choose only what you want to go on your plate or to take away. There is an extensive breakfast menu from 9:30 every morning which changes to the lunch menu at 11:30 (12:00 Sundays). Iydea does get very busy and cramped so best to avoid peak times if you want a little more space and comfort.
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Lovely veggie food in the heart of a buzzing neighbourhood. Recommend mix of hot and cold carrot with enchilada; really good raspberry lemonade.
Only thing is this place gets packed easily and has only loo...

Reviewed December 18, 2013

Its a buzzy, noisy eatery.. They have a really good concept, easy to order system, and some scrumptious vegetarian food. I have to say the music level was a bit to loud, I was on my own so it didn't matter, but it would have been a struggle if I was with another..I suppose it was reflecting the atmosphere on the street outside, its a bustling part of town. So good value, tasty food, quick service, a little bit to much body hair on display for my liking though, when your serving food its reassuring for the customer to see hair tidy nails clean.. still I didn't let that come between me and my delicious lunch..

Reviewed December 13, 2013

...having read all the reviews, and there is a sign in the window so say this is the best cafe in Brighton (Brighton and Hove Foodie awards?), I was expecting a lot. We arrived at the end of the day for hot drink and cake. Coffee ok, but my non achoholic mulled drink was far too sweet. Carrot cake was nice, but partly served in a cup as it had crumbled whilst being cut. The other cake was dry. Nice staff, but slow, maybe tired from a busy day. Won't be revisiting.

Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

Love the food in this place. The staff are always friendly enough and they have a good selection of food. However...

The staff in the North Laine cafe have a habit of ruining the atmosphere by having music on so loud that they can't even understand what you're saying to them?? They gave me the opposite to what I ordered, as they clearly couldn't hear a word.

When asked by a server if "I was digging the music?" (Oh Brighton students, this is 2013, not 1970), the other lads behind the counter laughed as if I was out of touch with what they were playing. Err...it's Jeff Buckley, circa 1994. I own the album. I just don't want it played at full blast on tinny speakers. IN A CAFE WHERE PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO EAT.

Iydea - don't ruin a good thing (the excellent food) by turning this great cafe into yet another eating place ruined by dreadfully loud music - chosen by music students. There are far too many of them in Brighton.

Incidentally, outside of Brighton you don't experience this problem on quite the same level. Thank goodness!

1  Thank Bobdobb
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I'm a huge fan of this place, it reminds me of how Food for Friends was in its heyday.

It combines a simple formula to choosing your food (queue up with a tray and choose your main + veg/salad + toppings) with an impressive menu choice that changes daily. Yes daily!This together with great value for money plus some of the friendliest and most helpful staff in Brighton make it a great place to visit. They also provide a takeaway service.

My partner (veggie) and I (not so) last visited here for a very nice breakfast. We arrived with only about 5 minutes left before breakfast stopped being served but the staff fell over themselves to accommodate us.

I think the previous review critiicisng the approach to children is a bit unfair. The cafe has a winning formula that presumably keeps prices down and it is always packed. I'm not sure why they should go out of their way to accommodate families. Brighton is already teaming with yummy mummy friendly restaurants!

2  Thank DavidMM