“Great Find”

Topps
Ranked #28 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
“Great Find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

Booked at the last minute to stay on a Saturday night and had a great stay.
I even got a text asking me about my ETA which was a nice personal touch
Lovely room on the top floor, low ceiling though not good if you are over 6 foot but the web site advised me of that, the room was bright, modern, very clean, well maintained and spacious. We loved the way it looked.
Friendly check-in and very helpful, I think we were checked in by the owner Mr Simon Tan
Hotel is very handy for central Brighton.
I forgot to get a receipt when I checked in and they kindly e-mailed me one.
Hope to go back

Room Tip: 168 is lovely but you need to be under 6'
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

Beautifully rennovated georgain house. Rooms are spacious and have a small table and chairs providing somewhere other than your bed to sit and eat. Staff very friendly.

No breakfast provided but there are plenty of lovely cafes on the beach front a few mins walk away. Quite close to central area of Brighton. Various coffee shops, pubs, cafes etc just one road over.

Pleanty of safe parking in the underground car park on the square (£12.5 per 24 hours)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

I booked one nights stay for my boyfriend and myself, having never visited Brighton before.
For once the room was exactly as it looked in the pictures, really clean, and the Air Con was a life saver over a very hot weekend. I was warned that the room overlooked the street, and could be noisy. It was a little but not overly so- it was just music and you couldnt hear any rowdy people below, it didn't affect our stay.
A great location for wandering around, or just wanting to be by the sea.
We had a great stay, I would make sure that you are aware that it really is a 'room only' stay you will be booking- not even tea and coffee facilities. This isn't really an issue as there are so many great places to eat and drink in Brighton if you just have a little wander.
Overall we had a great stay, and will be using Topps next time we visit Brighton.

Room Tip: rooms on the ground floor may have been noisy, try get a view of the square.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

Very happy with this hotel, the rooms were well appointed, clean and comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful and always had a cheery 'hello' whatever time of the day.

Cannot fault the location for my weekend, close to the beach and town, with parking just across the road. Maybe a little noisy for those who aren't in Brighton for the nightlife, but that didn't bother my party.

I would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms can be a little noisier due to the location.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

I'm a regular on Tripadvisor and for the first time ever thought I'd do my bit for our online community and write my first review, to help anyone browsing or looking to stay at Topps, Brighton.

Just returned from a weekend at Topps. First impressions of the hotel were good, clean and well presented from the outside with good security. Regency square is crammed with B+B'S all of which look decent from the outside. Parked opposite the hotel in a car-park for £12.50 (24hr) car park was revolting, tramps drinking beer and resting cans on peoples cars, smell of urine and as a woman I only felt safe going down the dark stair wells at night because I was with my partner. I'd advise groups of women to park elsewhere!

We were given a warm welcome from the staff, were told of the free tea and coffee vending machine which in all honesty was the best thing along with the location of this hotel. The situation is great, right opposite the old pier and only 5/10mins from bar and shops which is ideal for those wanting to be on top of the nightlife, which we did. We had opted for a standard double, I'd advise anybody reading this NOT to go for a standard double. The photos on all websites and even TripAdvisor are of the newly re-decorated part of the hotel, the standard rooms are not photographed at all and we did not realise until we had booked that there was probably a reason WHY these rooms were not photographed and uploaded onto the website.

The room (for £80 a night) was that of 2* standard.. compared to the rest of the hotel reception which gave us high hopes for a superb stay. The carpets were filthy, stained and the windows had been boarded up but still had the curtains (!!) so after drawing the curtains back we were met with wooden planks, felt very much like a prison. The shower in the bathroom was good and the bed was clean at least but the fact there were boarded up windows and one lamp (no over-head lighting) There also happened to be paint peeling off the walls and the room didn't seem to heat up properly despite there being a radiator.

I'd advise anyone staying at Topps not to go for a standard double, pay the extra £30 and go for another room. I'd price these rooms at £45 a night, definitely not worth spending £160 to stay in a garden shed, boarded up with a carpet more stained than a Cilit Bang commercial...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Jennifer H

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

Recently stayed here with my partner for 2 nights. Stayed in room 168 which was a 3rd floor recently re-furbed room. The room was decorated to a high standard, much larger than expected, the 6ft high celling was not an issue at all. The location was perfect and car parking was £12.50 for 24hours opposite the hotel. Staff very helpful. Paid £157 for the 2 nights. The only down point of the stay was the walls are very very thin and both nights we were kept awake by the room next door, either the TV noise, laughter, talking......at 3am was a massive disturbance to us. I would stay again but take ear-plugs.

Room Tip: Had a sea view room which was nice, no noise from the street only from next door.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bubsy37
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

It has a long way to go to being a hotel or even a b and b carpet in our room was black stains and window never had a lock on it

• Stayed February 2012