“I was very happy with it” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Imperial

Imperial
Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Brighton, United Kingdom
“I was very happy with it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

I booked the Imperial for one night last minute since it was the only hotel with space offering a reasonable rate.

I was very happy with it, was perfectly adequate given the cost and what I was expecting. It was clean, and not too hot despite being a fairly warm day (having a reasonably sized window that opened fully helped - no child lock like you find on some hotels meaning you can only open the window a few centimetres). You could also just about see the sea front although it was a room on the side towards the back of the hotel.

I found the room quiet although I was out until 11pm and up early the next morning. I did notice however the doors do tend to bang closed rather loudly, even if you try to be careful, and the hallways floors also seem to creek a bit when you walk on them.

Staff were always friendly and helpful.

In terms of downsides, if I was being picky I might mention (as do other reviewers and the hotel has responded they are working on it) that although the room was clean, it was showing its age in term of a little peeling wallpaper and rotting window frame. Not sure if its too difficult on the upper floors but a tip I would give the hotel for improvement would be to clean the windows (although you do not really see out with the netting anyway). The shower was the type connected to bath taps and was fine but not as powerful as some others I have seen. The TV did seem a bit unreliable with "no signal" randomly popping up on certain channels although with the hills I would suspect it might be a widespread issue in Brighton.

Overall however I was happy with it since I was not there to critique the decor, or watch TV. May come back in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Hugh C, Manager at Imperial, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
This was a well balanced review thank you and is much appreciated as a result. We definitely want to see you again and will take to heart your suggestions. Keeping the windows clean on the upper floors, especially, is something of a mission so close to the sea but we will have a chat with our longstanding window cleaner

Renewed thanks for your custom and kind words

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

I am so pleased I decided to stay at the imperial this time round . It's in Hove which is beautiful , chilled and clean . Like the hotel , a very nice place to stay . The service was spot on , the rooms very clean and the ambience perfect . You are greeted with a personal smile from the receptionist . Dilyana was very very cheerful , chatty and helpful . When I read bad reviews about hotels I believe that it's usually a personal thing so guess the hotels bare the brunt. If you stay in hove stay at the imperial . Close to the sea and heartland of tranquility .

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Faithless13
Hugh C, Manager at Imperial, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
This really was a top notch review and thank you so much, more so coming from a senior reviewer. Dilyana is over the moon and so is the Imperial

We know there is always scope to do even better but it is thoughtful and kind words like this that raises the bar for our staff in a good way

Hopefully we can see you again very soon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

The Imperial is in fact in Hove rather than Brighton but this makes no practical difference. It is 5 to 10 minutes from Brighton station by cab, 20 - 25 minutes walk from attractions in the centre of Brighton and about 15 mins walk from the Hove Museum and Art Gallery. Church Road, a block to the North straight up First Avenue (where the hotel is located) contains numerous restaurants and shops, including a Tesco (supermarket) Superstore within 15 mins walk. The beach is less than 5 minutes walk to the South.

The furniture and decor are not modern and the passageways idiosyncratic but these features didn't bother us. We stayed in a twin room. The bedroom area was spacious but the bathroom was quite cramped. In addition to a toilet and basin, this contained a bath with shower attachment, i.e. there was no shower cubicle, characteristic of older hotels. Water temperature and pressure were good.

The beds were comfortable but the soundproofing of the ceiling was poor and so unfortunately we were disturbed late at night by guests returning to their room on the floor above.

Our room was not air-conditioned but this did not appear to be an issue, despite the outside temperature being particularly warm.

The English Breakfast was what one would expect. The coffee was particularly good.

We found the staff helpful and reasonably friendly.

We did not have an opportunity to spend much time comparing prices but what we paid did not seem unreasonable.

All in all a decent stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hugh C, Manager at Imperial, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
A really thoughtful, well balanced review which has gone down very well with our staff so many thanks

Hopefully you can join us from London again before too long

Renewed thanks for your kindness and valued custom
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights, I got what I paid for and needed,
The room was clean, it had all the things you need in a hotel, After I went out I came back to the clean room, fresh towels, freshly made bed, I really liked it, The ladies on Reception were always friendly.
The beach is 2 minutes away, Brighton is a mile walk away, but who cares, it's a beautiful walk along the seafront, I love Hove, it's relaxing, the beach area is quieter. I personally would use this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Hugh C, Manager at Imperial, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
A top quality review which has lit up the hotel as good as any summer day so heartfelt thanks. The staff are delighted too and are looking forward to seeing you back from Berkshire before very long

Kindest regards
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

The hotel is near - but not on- the promenade so nice for a stroll after work. Allegedly some rooms overlook the seafront but I just had side stree chimney pots.

The front steps are chipped with ominous, 'so not walt here' notices on at least two of them. Not a good welcome when dragging luggage up them.

Parking is a real hassle with the receptionist unclear about where the N zone actually is which is the only area for which the permits are valid. Also at £95 I think that the hotel could bear the parking charge rather than expecting me to pay.

Wifi is not provided free and no food is provided - other than breakfast available at an extra charge. I did not buy breakfast because it was not recommended in another review of this hotel.

Room was very tired, dark and shabby decor. Dim because some lamps must have had burned out bulbs. No overhead light. No desk or well lit surface upon which to work. Bed was not very comfortable and noise from arriving guests - room 203 is righ opposite the lift - and someone overhead who stoimped across the room all night was annoying. I had been recommended to try Hove rather than Brighton to get the good night's sleep needed for workload during this visit.

The lift is tiny and as slow as molasses so bear this in mnd if you have to get away by a given time.

Room Tip: avoid rooms near the lift if you want quiet
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hugh C, Manager at Imperial, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
This review is like the Curate's Egg - good in parts. Our website makes it clear about the availability of WIFI, our position alongside the Promenade and that we provide parking vouchers under the Council scheme. When this guest visited the front steps were being repaired and we would happily have helped them with their belongings as "dragging" their baggage up the steps only causes the very damage we were seeking to rectify

The Imperial provides functional, value for money accommodation and our refurbishment program remains on track; there were no blown light bulbs in this guests room so we do not understand this comment

As ever with a grand Regency building, lift space is limited - having shown these remarks to our lift engineers they are pretty disappointed given the hard work they put in to maintain the service

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

I have stayed here twice overnight in the last fortnight. Last week a single room, 204 I think, at £50 and this week a double at £55. I was impressed both times. The 'kerb appeal' needs addressing but inside is fine. It is an old building with all that means, some of the plaster cornices are cracked, the floors are a bit uneven. But that is as it should be! It has character. I suspect the windows may rattle in a wintwr storm though! I will definitely be staying again, regularly I expect. My only criticism would be the wifi. I declined to register to use it because it stated I agreed to be put on a mailing list, and I couldn't see a way to opt out. Otherwise, lovely.

• Stayed July 2013
Hugh C, Manager at Imperial, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
This was a super review to start Thursday off so many thanks - the team here are delighted

We are obtaining quotes to accelerate enhancements to the frontage and are making good progress generally - the window boxes look lovely and on a bright summer day the terrace, with its sea views, is magnificent for a refreshing drink

Looking forward to your next visit and thanks again. We like to think of the Imperial as a grand Victorian lady who has given her guests so much over the years and wants to keep giving
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

The hotel itself is a little tired in terms of decor etc, bed a little hard and double duvet quite small. If you're not a natural early riser like myself then it may be best to request a room which isn't flooded by sunlight at 4am! And yes, our room did have some ripped wallpaper and some water marks to the bathroom ceiling but its no big deal - you're not in brighton to stay in the hotel the whole time! It's clean and comfortable. It's located a bit further away from the centre of brighton than I expected (I'm rubbish with distances) but there are plenty of cabs and a slow walk along the sea front back up to the centre isn't so bad if its not too hot and if you're not in a rush. Staff are friendly and helpful. The lift is a bit scary! Did cost a bit more than I was hoping but all the hotels in brighton are pretty expensive. Overall a good hotel

• Stayed July 2013
Hugh C, Manager at Imperial, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
This is a balanced review thank you and really pleased you stayed with us. Solid progress is being made in upgrading the rooms [we recently enhanced eight rooms with new beds and suchlike] and this process will continue. We are also making good progress with improving the frontage so hopefully by the next time you visit, you will see further improvements

Renewed thanks for your custom and kind words