“A perfect place to escape from the Kids.”
Review of Imperial

Imperial
Ranked #27 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Kaunas, Lithuania
“A perfect place to escape from the Kids.”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Me and my Husband decided to book a last minute brake in Brighon and stumbled upon The Imperial on Booking.com.
It was a bed and breakfast deal two days /two night in which one would jump at. (bargain).
We arrived after 5pm and felt very welcoming with the two Ladies at Reception desk. Room was very clean with a see view and on the 3rd Floor.
After the long flight we needed a drink. We didn't know the Hotel had a Bar and yet it was a God send. We was entertained on a basis that i had tears in my eyes from the abnormal bar man. Breakfast was very good and even at 10am.
We explored Brighton and had a wonderful time. (Brighton is the place to be for a great escape)
Overal the Hotel and Brighton was superb.We will be back again very soon.

Kristina

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Albertas12_13
Hugh C, Manager at Imperial, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
A great review thank you so much. The Imperial has a great deal to offer and with several great family rooms, next time why not bring the kids too?!

Renewed thanks for your custom and kind words

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Polish first
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2013

If you are looking forward to enjoying your weekend away or spend a night and relax, Imperial Hotel is NOT a place for you!!
Awful service and rude staff, is just the one issue out of a million.
The worst presentation. Not even going to mention the hygiene factors!!
Not worth £10... SAVE THE MONEY.. SLEEP ON THE BEACH!

If you have a complaint, do not expect anyone to care..

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dmitry L
Hugh C, Manager at Imperial, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
We have delayed posting a response to this review which we view as disingenuous and cannot identify with any guest fitting this description. Our staff and the Imperial, being the Grande Dame of First Avenue, really do their best and it is unacceptable to have these genuine and thoughtful endeavours undermined in this way

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Without doubt an experience not to be repeated...On arrival welcome was superb and off I went to my room...Dropped my stuff off and headed back into the centre of Brighton...Which by the way is a 20 min walk or a £7.00 cab fare each way,Centre of Brighton this is not despite being told different on the phone.

My room in a nutshell stank of smoke,Furniture was covered in nicotine it was vile although Credit where due the room spotless.I finally got moved after some discussion and this room slightly better but like the rest of the hotel very outdated and In need of some money being spent on it.

Breakfast save your £7.95 eat elsewhere it was not great and you can get better and cheaper elsewhere..In adding the Hardcore House Music quiet Loud on Sunday morning at breakfast may wanna rethink that seeing the average age was 40+

On leaving the receptionist was rude to be blunt.

Avoid this hotel it is miles from Brighton Outdated and Breakfast bland and is being polite

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank FatboyMRH
Hugh C, Manager at Imperial, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
We have struggled to identify with much of this review and given the longstanding and stringent no smoking policy maintained throughout the hotel we do not feel any further comment is necessary
Yorks
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Room acceptable but breafast service is a farce, Ran out of the basics and then when asked to provide them wanted to make it seem as if it was the customers fault for being there. Save your money and eat out in nice cafe.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank BobCYorks
Hugh C, Manager at Imperial, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Something of a mixed review and while we are sorry that the guest felt breakfast did not pass muster, by the same token it has not proven easy to identify the specific situation being described

Even so we of course appreciate the custom
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights during the Brighton Festival. The hotel is in a good location, near to the town centre but far away enough to be quiet and peaceful at all hours, and just round the corner from the beach. The staff are also very helpful - we were early for check-in and able to leave our bags in a room behind the front desk, then when we didn't return til late that night we got our bags easily and checked in quickly with the night porter.

I went straight to bed and had a very comfortable first night's sleep. When I woke up the next morning however, in the light of day I noticed several things that weren't quite right with the room (no. 309). The wallpaper was ripped and heavily stained alongside the bed, the sheets were torn and bloodstained(!!!), and the toilet seat came off in my hand when I went to lift the lid. Extremely off-putting as I immediately felt little care had been taken to make sure the room was fit for a paying guest. I reported the problems to reception on my way out that morning, and when I returned the same night the sheets had been changed and the toilet seat fixed. A bad experience for a first night though. And I can't understand why someone doesn't just take some scissors to the wallpaper to tidy it up - see picture.

A few other things came to light during the stay. The same cup, saucer and spoon were left in my room for the whole stay; I won't go into how I worked this out as it's pretty lengthy, or what I'm guessing the room staff did to 'clean' it each time between me using it and the previous/next room occupants... but clean crockery and cutlery is a basic thing which should be attended to for reasons of hygiene (got a bit hyped on hygiene after what happened with the sheets but still). The internet access was very poor and I didn't get 15 minutes free as advertised (it's one free login - which I used for about 2 minutes - didn't get the rest of the 15 minutes' worth), not great as I was there on business and really needed to work on emails. Could've gone to Starbucks I guess but had paid £5 and just couldn't get a signal most of the time. While I was in reception 3 separate parties of people complained that they received parking fines because the night staff had written out incorrect permits (one reading '2014'), yes they should've checked thoroughly themselves before parking but it seems to be a recurring problem there. And finally - a guest had vomited several times on the main stairs leading up from reception on Saturday night, and by check-out on Sunday at 11am this had still not been cleaned up. The receptionists seemed weary of receiving complaints about all these things, as if they happen all the time - a bit more care and attention would make guests (and probably the receptionists!) feel much more comfortable.

I wouldn't stay here again until all the rooms have been brought up to standard (it sounds from other reviews like there are some nice ones, which is why I decided to book in) and there's a better level of cleanliness and hygiene. I'm not a picky traveller, and haven't written a TripAdvisor review before, but I was seriously put off by the state of my room and lack of attention to basic details. A shame as the location is great and it could be a really lovely traditional sea-front hotel for visitors.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hugh C, Manager at Imperial, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Something of a mixed review though we were pleased we were able to provide this guest with three nights accommodation at an extremely competitive price. Have investigated matters fully, we are at a loss concerning the issues around cleanliness as we have a longstanding, hardworking and committed housekeeping team who take serious pride in their work. Similarly our laundry company operates to the highest standards and cannot identify with the situation described - indeed we and they are keen to see guest linen rejected if there are any issues whatsoever when we make up the rooms. Where a guest causes a problem in the common parts of the hotel through sickness or otherwise, of course it is resolved immediately

Parking in the City can be an emotive issue and as responsible hoteliers we make it clear to all guests that they must take time to understand the Council's rules if they choose to park on-street. We do however offer off-street parking on a first come first served basis which is a great alternative. That said it is not at all clear on what basis the reviewer feels there is a "recurring problem" or that they even had a car

We have never made any bones about the Imperial being the subject of an ongoing refurbishment programme which we very much view as a labour of love. She remains the Grande Dame of First Avenue and has given a great deal over the years and has so much more to offer

Naturally we are delighted that you found so many positive aspects of your stay and we appreciate your custom
Litton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We have just returned home from a 4night stay. We were staying with you for our Granddaughters Christening.My 83 year old mother and 3 more of thought your staff were all welcoming ,we would like a special mention to the lovely Spanish waiter he worked so hard and was on hand to help all the time. We had lovely rooms,clean roomy. Great to be so near the front to walk next to the sea. we will be coming back for another stay. Breakfast very good and a great value for money. Thank you for our enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Rooms 105 and 208 were great
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sandra l
Hugh C, Manager at Imperial, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
We had the pleasure of chatting briefly before you departed and thank you so much for your kind words then and of course this great review. We were delighted both the hotel and our staff "passed muster" and I know Francisco is especially pleased with your testimonial

Hopefully we can see you again soon as the little one will grow up all too quickly and so pleased the Christening was such a success
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed at this hotel on the 7th may 2013 for one night at a rate of £40 without breakfast. The hotel is ideally located a pleasant 15 minute walk from brightons town centre and pier. We were greeted politely by the receptionist and given our key to room 316 the room was nice enough but unfortunately the bed was broken we immediately reported this to reception who with no problems apologised and even upgraded our room when it was changed to a suite the room was stunning and we were both very pleased. Both of us slept really well but opted not to have breakfast.the only problem I had with this hotel is the stairs and carpet at the entrance to the hotel are quite badly damaged and when leaving the hotel to go out for the day I nearly tripped shame money should be invested into this as the entrance really does the hotel or its pleasant staff no justice but none the less would stay again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David R
Hugh C, Manager at Imperial, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Many thanks for such a thoughtful and positive review. The mattress in 316 has now been replaced and really pleased you enjoyed your new room so much

As you may have seen, various renovation works are underway at the front of the hotel and we are looking to make further improvements in the near term. Being so close to the sea does expose us to harsh weather conditions on occasion which inevitably take their toll. Nevertheless the Imperial remains the Grande Dame of First Avenue and as such she still has much to offer

Hopefully we can see you back here before too long and meanwhile, renewed thanks