“Grubby, Shabby, Tired”
Review of Adelaide House

Adelaide House
Ranked #80 of 95 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here for Bank Holiday weekend. Location was great but that was the only saving grace. It is tired, grubby with miserable staff. We went down for breakfast - grim, depressing room straight out of the 1970's ( and not in a good way) - we were sat at a table where people had already had their breakfast. The waitress came across and flicked her teatowel over the crumbs thinking that was satisfactory cleaning. We had to ask her to clean it properly. Waited 40 minutes for breakfast - couple next to us left as they had been waiting longer. Mattress should be sent to the scrap heap. Carpet was disgusting.

Room Tip: Stay in a different hotel
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mishmash9797

Reviewed May 3, 2013

I have stayed here many times with my little dog yoda.
It is a fabulous family run B&B in the very most central part of Brighton. A stones throw to the sea and the shops and all the best restaurants.
The place itself is very very clean with nice bedding and comfortable beds ( I don't sleep well but iv always had a great sleep staying here)
Showers in all rooms ( and I have stayed in all) are strong and always hot. Shampoo ,body wash and hand wash are provided along with soft nice fresh smelling fluffy towels.
They have flat screen tv in all rooms with many channels.
You can also play your own cd films.
Breakfast is amazing and you can have as much as you like of freshly cooked foods ranging from traditional English to kippers etc.. I highly recommend a leisurely breakfast in laid back Brighton as most of the laid back local shops don't start till 10 or even 11 am.
Dogs are welcome at this hotel without an extra charge, but if your not a dog lover or owner do not let that put you off. You really would never know there was or had been a dog in residence.
I put that down to the very well running of the establishment that the family who do it excel at.
You can tell they are experienced in every aspect of hoteliering and although there service is friendly they also act anonymous so you can feel as looked after as you want to..
What I like even more about this place is the very honest and very reasonable pricing.
At between £50-60 for a single and 70-100 double/treble even at weekends and high season ,it's amazing value. You will not have a disappointing stay at Adelaide house and you will surely return and tell your friends.
I asked here once for extra coffee in the already generous host tray and now every time I stay you can rest assured there will be umpteen sachets awaiting me.
That's how good these people are .
High recommendation

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Johnandyoda
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This place does not deserve it's high rating. We felt that we'd been duped into booking this hotel. It had grubby carpets, there was a rather unpleasant smell of what smelt like urine. Opening the rotten-wooded windows didn't help either. The shower had dirt/mould in the sealant and a dripping tap would have been a more effective shower. We were glad that we didn't stay for breakfast when I noticed the amount of dirt under the manager's nails.

Room Tip: Don't choose this place for value. Be prepared to climb a distance to your room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kingston_1_10
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The hotel is located close to the centre of Brighton - in Regency Square. Just 2 min to the beach and to Churchill square. The place is quiet and the view from the window is stunning - if your room faces Regency Square, you'll see the sea and West Pier standing on your cool balcony.

Although the bathroom was extremely small (as it is made en suite), it was a nice room.

Except for freezing on the first evening the rest of the time everything was great.
I shouldn't forget to tell you about The Breakfast - OMG, how huge and good it was!! Every mornign - according to your wishes!

The staff was very friendly and welcoming.

Just a suggestion - as I am from a nordic country where all our houses are well insulated I could suggest refreshing the insulation in the hotel, because it saves money on heating and it's more cozy in an evenly warm room (not very hot at the heating element and very cold at the window).

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed two nights at Adelaide House in Brighton. Great service, friendly family run business. Room was very clean and had everything we needed. Little touches like chocolate biscuits and bath robes were a bonus. We stayed in a 5 star hotel earlier in the year and this was definately far better. Breakfast was cooked to order, a great choice of food and served to you. No queing for soggy bacon that had been left warming for ages!!! Overall excellent and made our great weekend even more special.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Unhelpful to the full. Just been for breakfast , asked if I could take my parter a coffee and a sandwich and bring the plate back down, she grunted no. Tried to make friendly conversation at breakfast , I may as well have been talking to the damp wall. Rudest Peaple ever, baring in mind they took 240 cash off me last night!!!!

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank Jonny3bad
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We have just returned from a 5 week overseas holiday and our experience at Adelaide House left us with a 'sour taste in our mouth's'. Having spent my career in tourism and hospitality I was amazed at the general lack of interest in their guests. There was never any interaction from our hosts and it appeared that the almighty GBP (Pound) was eternally at the fore-front of their minds.There was a fee for late checkouts pre arranged or otherwise, make up on towels amongst other things. My husband witnessed the Manager abusing someone on the telephone and both of us witnessed him also being rude to a past guest who arrived at the door. We were attending a wedding in an nearby town whilst there which meant checking out for one evening and then returning. We asked to leave our bags (which was OK) but also offered a fee to hold the room over which was declined since they suggested they may be able to sell the room. Fair enough, but I would have assumed they would have completely serviced the room. Not so, our bed linen had not been changed. Silly of them really. They should have take my offer of GBP50. In my experience as a host it is important to ensure your guests feel welcome and at home. In doing this a guest will generally overlook minor details of a property that is not as it should be for whatever reason. I think our hosts at Adelaide House need to take a very good look at themselves and should consider another career.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family