2,084 results
All reviewssea frontboth morningsweekend breakcomfy beda sea view roomcooked breakfastfull englishpierstaircase
Reviewed October 26, 2015 via mobile

This beautiful building has a great position on the seafront with its own car park making it on screen a very enticing option. Downsides for me is that most websites (including their owner site which we used to book) state free parking, it's not and is almost double the ncp price, which is only one street down and a secure underground car park. Inside is best described as a bit grubby, tatty and tired. The bar tables were cheap canteen type and sticky and the bar itself was filthy. Staff were skeleton and not seemingly knowledgeable about their own areas and we had to hunt someone down from a back office to check in . The room was smaller than described on booking site and had only a small shower room. Though bed was comfy and the bedding clean so we slept well until 8.00 when the delivery lorry started unloading bottles outside our window. Old and tired and a bit cheap on repairs I would say for the decor, nothing in-keeping with the style of the building - flat pack pine and uber bright ceiling spotlights in rooms! TV and hairdryer worked a treat unusually for uk hotels ! Toiletries included for shower but no soap to wash hands, and only one hand towel/ one bath towel between two guests, right down to half the packets on the coffee tray were empty/used. It doesn't take much for housekeeping to be on top of these things. Check out was as annoying as check in with restaurant supervisory staff (entrance at reception) stood about chatting with no customers whilst a huge queue at reception was served by only one person, who was pleasant but very slow and held up call holding for cabs and chatting to the restaurant staff etc whilst we all still queued. It's so sad as this hotel has the potential to be gorgeous with just a little care invested. As we hadn't looked to book a sea view room I wish I'd spent my £90+ a different hotel maybe one not as historic and classically Brighton in period architecture but one clean and welcoming would've won me over.

Stayed: October 2015, traveled with friends
GMBrighton, Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2015

Ellesspe,

The team and I thank you for your feedback and we will be sure to use this to address the issues that you raised as required.

I would like to assure you that this is not typical of the hotel or the team and I thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I thank you for your comments.

Reviewed October 21, 2015

We reserved a bed and breakfast rate with a "gift on arrival" which we NEVER received. I asked two different front desk agents about it; the first man said he had no clue but would ask the general manager. The second woman said she thought it might be a keychain but would have it delivered to our room. We never received anything, and are wondering why that rate is even advertised. The lift by the Mews rooms did not work once you were inside of it, so had to carry out luggages upstairs. The room was noisy, we could hear neighbors. At check-out, the woman did not ask us about how our stay was. We actually were never greeted when leaving or coming into the hotel, and the lobby is very sad. The breakfast had very limited choice, and was not replenished often enough. It's very sad to say that we were not satisfied at all with our choice of hotel, even though we like the Accor brands.

• Stayed: October 2015, traveled as a couple
1  Thank K H
GMBrighton, Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2015

K H,

I thank you for your online feedback.

I would like to apologise that you felt that the hotel did not meet your expectations and for the inconvenience that was caused to yourself.

I have emailed your about your feedback this morning and I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Reviewed October 19, 2015 via mobile

Stayed here the 7 th and 8th October for a two night break was told there was a twenty five pound charge per night parking fee this was not clear on booking . We stayed in one of the mews rooms it was a lovely room which you could tell had been recently refurbished . Outside our room and the corridors were in the process of being painted there was wet paint which you were having to dodge from getting on your clothes . The kettle we could nt open to fill with water a member of staff could nt open it so a tiny travel kettle was brought . Breakfast was Luke warm and congealed with fat not very nice at all . The only good thing was the location of the hotel it is right on the front

Stayed: October 2015, traveled as a couple
GMBrighton, Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2015

lesleyrace,

The team and I thank you for your feedback and I will be sure to share this with the team.

The hotel does charge for car parking facilities and this is advertised in both our car parks as well as on our website and on third party websites also.

The hotel is currently undertaking a refurbishment of 52 bedrooms and the feedback we have received to date is very positive; I would like to apologise for any inconvenience the corridor refurbishment caused to you during your stay.

I will ensure that your comments relating to breakfast is addressed.

Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed October 19, 2015

A once grand old lady of a building, now rather tired and in need of some TLC. I have stayed in many Mercure Hotels and am a gold club member, but this hotel is below the normal standard. The room itself (311) was nice and large and the bed was good, but the décor - and that of the hotel in general looked old and very out of date. The reception area is sad - a grand area but dull and poorly set out - not welcoming at all. I stayed for 5 days and not once when either entering or leaving via the front door did any staff member at reception even look up let alone say 'good morning' or 'hello/goodbye'. The bar is stark and bare - with very harsh lighting - not a welcoming place at all - and on the two occasions I went in for a drink before going out, the young French barman was far more interested in chatting to two girls (I think staff members) than serving customers or clearing the tables of glasses and dirty dinner plates from bar meals. The room was cold with no atmosphere. The restaurant was similar - no atmosphere and staff, who were either Italian or Spanish, seemed to have no idea/interest what they were doing. I looked into two nearby hotels (Holiday Inn and the Kings Hotel) - both had far nicer bars and restaurants - maybe the Mercure should go and have a look! On day two, I had to move my car so that a cherry picker could access the car park to clean the windows - good I thought as my room window needed it, however, afterwards I realised the dirt wasn't on the outside. I mentioned it to reception and was told it would be cleaned by the cleaner the next day - 3 days later it was still the same. On the morning of my departure a recent wedding bride was sat in reception having quite a heated discussion with a staff member (who I thought was a waiter - he certainly served my breakfast that day), regarding her recent £4,000 reception which she was very disappointed in. Not the place to be having such a conversation and the staff member appeared not to be able to answer any of the questions or account for the issues raised. I was disappointed by the hotel - as previously stated I am a fan of Mercure Hotels, but this one needs some care and attention paid to it.

• Stayed: October 2015, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels

Martin H,

We thank you for your feedback.

I would like to apologise that you felt that the hotel did not meet your expectations and for any inconvenience that this may have caused to yourself.

I will be sure to address your comments relating to the Reception Team.

The two girls in which you refer to in your comments are not staff members but indeed long term guests at the hotel and I was pleased to see that the team were continuing to make then feel welcome however, this does not distract from there being dirty tables and plates remaining in the bar and the F&B Supervisor will ensure that action is taken as required.

The bride that you note in your comments came to the hotel to collect her cake and the person she then spoke to about her wedding had no involvement with any issues that she may have raised and therefore was limited in information that could be provided; to penalise this team member for not being able to answer the questions raised and the setting of this conversation is unfair and I feel should be noted.

We thank you for your comments.

Reviewed October 18, 2015

Managed to park in front of hotel which was great as raining.
The £25 fee didn't start my stay well. To be fair Brighton parking is expensive but the fee wasn't advertised.
The check in was ok and the room, despite a long walk was good if small, especially the bathroom.
Checkout was poor. I waited ages for someone to show up and then they couldn't print the bill.
Didn't eat or drink there. The wifi didn't work either, no notice or apology for this.
Location is good.

Room Tip: Cheaper to park in NCP 50m away.
  • Stayed: October 2015, traveled on business
GMBrighton, Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2015

Andy C,

We thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments - I will be sure to share this with the team and ensure that we action, we necessary, the issues that you brought to our attention.

In line with our pricing policy, we do charge £25.00 per car per night for our car parking and should guests wish to part elsewhere then our Reception Team are on hand to advise of the alternatives in and around the area. This charge is advertised in our car park as well as on our website and on all third parties.

On your morning of departure, the Reception Team did experience technical issues which have since been resolved and I would like to apologise for the delay this caused to you at check out.

Earlier this month, the hotel wifi did experience some down time due to a hotel upgrade for this facility; this is now fully up and running and the feedback that we have received to date has been very positive; I apologise for any inconvenience that this may have caused to yourself.

I thank you for your comments.