“Amazing location and great service!”

Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel
Ranked #36 of 44 Hotels in Brighton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Korean first
Redbourn, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2014

The hotel organised adjacent rooms as we had a parent with us. We opted for rooms at the back of the hotel which were both quiet and comfortable. The hotel is on the sea front affording a stroll along the sea front in the evening and after breakfast. Brighton is erecting it tall viewing tower so there are construction works further down the sea front but this is well away from the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your time with us here in Brighton and I hope that we can welcome you back again soon in the future.

Stafford
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Some times when old hotels are modernised, the grandeur is lost behind new panels and white paint. The very large entrance to the Mercure still has some of that grand old lady appeal mixed with some very obvious modernisation. It is when you have booked in and go to your room that the modernisation shows. It appears that more rooms have been added and to do so, the corridors seem to be part of an elaborate architectural maze. However, once our room was found, it was fairly large, clean and comfortable. The bar area is not too large, and the prices were reasonable. The breakfast room is well stocked and the staff are excellent, and the eggs benedict makes a wonderful start to the day. Throughout the hotel the staff were professional and very friendly, which helped to make for a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay.

I appreciate your review title! It is appropriate and reflects well the unique nature of this lovely old property which has overlooked the Seafront since 1864.

I hope that we can welcome you back again in the future.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a week whilst on business. This hotel is looking very tired now and in good need of a makeover. The rooms leave a lot to be desired and the food is overpriced! I had to go to reception on a number of occasions because the staff just weren't really sure what was going on and what their offers meant. One example being the 'beer & burger offer' £9.95. I confirmed with the reception that the flyer in our room was correct & that this offer was available in the bar. Of course she said. On ordering I asked the bar man if I could have cheese on the burger, his response was that this then made it a cheese burger & the price would be £14.95. I questioned the appropriateness of charging £5.00 for cheese? In the end this resulted in my having a debate with the manager who finally confirmed I could have the cheese burger with the cost of an additional £1.00. One of my colleagues also ordered 'chicken skewers' when this arrived, it was x3 small pieces of chicken on x1 skewer. We asked if this was right and the bar man said yes. When we identified that the menu indicated there would be more than one 'SKEWERS' he simply took the plate away & returned 5 minutes later having cut the one skewer into x3 pieces! The breakfast is charges @ £10.00 per person, to be honest you'd get better quality from a MacDonalds. Really not worth the price or the stress! If you need a hotel in Brighton, try the Thistle a little way down the road.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Kerry S
Thank-you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay.

My apologies that the front of house team showed some confusion following the introduction of our new Brasserie Menu recently. Whilst we had a full training session and cook off prior to launch there is obviously still some work to do and we will carry out further training.

All of your comments are noted and rest assured that we do take all feedback seriously.

Kevin Keenan

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Reviewed June 20, 2014

We were a little concerned when checking in and walking to our room as public areas are in the main shabby and tired. However, our room was the opposite spacious, fresh, comfortable and clean.
The staff were cheerful and very helpful.
No air conditioning but there was a fan in the room.
A fridge in the room would have been nice.
Breakfast was lovely.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the larger rooms
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Thnak-you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I hope that we can welcome you back again in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

A number of us stayed at the Mercure Hotel during the period 14 - 21 June as we were attending a conference in Brighton. Unfortunately, there have been a number of issues over the course of the week for a number of people within our delegation.
Having booked the hotel a year in advance and after parting with thousands of pounds, three of our delegation including myself on Monday turned up and were told that the rooms were not available as the hotel was overbooked. The hotel were helpful and booked us into other different hotels around Brighton. I was sent to hotel Uma which was nice, however, others were sent to hotel maderia, which to be honest i am told was more like a maderian hotel, cheap shabby and not inhabitable!! After a few nights I was given a room in the Mercure: also the others got a room the next night, however, it was very inconvenient to our delegation and very irritating especially when I had everything confirmed to me by email by the hotel/group on 13th June, a day before our first people were due to arrive. I certainly think people, especially large parties should keep this in mind before booking the hotel as your room is not always guaranteed!! In general, my stay at the hotel for the few nights I was there was alright. Maybe one observation was that it was rather hot at night, as the hotel doesn't have any air conditioning. I feel the Mercure Brighton needs a bit of a freshen up: I'm actually quite surprised that it has managed to achieve a 4 star rating.....personally, I feel it is more of a 3 star hotel than a 4 star hotel, however, is still a decent, but overpriced hotel! I believe the staff are an asset to the hotel as they have been very helpful to me and number of others within our group. Certainly I would like to single out Kevin, the General manager and Urta, his assistant who have been brilliant throughout the week. If it wasn't for this I would have given the Mercure a really terrible rating, however, I still have awarded 2 stars mainly due to the issues our group has encountered. I trust the hotel will take our views into consideration and hopefully they will revisit their overbooking policy, mainly so in future, no groups have to deal with the hassle we have had over the last week.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay. My apologies for the confusion surrounding the rooms allocated and our need to place you in another hotel for a part of of your stay. We will be reviewing out procedures for similar future events and will try where possible to ensure that groups that are booked together are kept together.

Your comments and views are taken seriously and will most certainly be taken into consideration in the future.