“Saturday night”

Ranked #36 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
London, United Kingdom
“Saturday night”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Stayed for one night, found the room clean, quiet and the bed very comfortable. Staff at the reception quick and friendly. The hotel was known as The Norfolk Hotel and must have been quite splendid back in the day, the old initials are still inscribed on the stairs. Breakfast was served in what must have been a ballroom, well laid out. Food on offer good lots of fresh fruit and cereal to choose from as well as the usual fry up. Would stay again

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear June555,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Peter Nye

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Korean first
somerset
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I stayed here for a works conference and found the room to be clean and comfortable. Breakfast was nice with plenty of choice with options to order eggs Benedict and kippers. Dinner in the hotel was good, as was the buffet lunch. The bar area is small but all staff were very friendly and efficient. You can walk into town easily and the pier is a 20 minute walk away.

The hotel is an older property and the layout of the rooms is unusual but lifts are available so not a problem. It is not a luxury hotel but for a couple of nights I found it to be adequate.

In summery I would recommend for a short stay.

1 Thank sarah075
Dear Sarah075,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel..It is always a pleasure to receive feedback. be it positive or negative,

Upkeep and maintenance are an ongoing process here while we still try to maintain the original character and charm.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Faded grandeur. The hotel is perfectly serviceable, but with an awkward layout and dated feeling rooms. Friendly staff and efficient service. The hotel is located on the seafront but a walk front the centre of town.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

2 Thank Matt D
Dear MattD,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback be it positive or negative.

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2014

As a frequent user of Mercure (and Accor) hotels around the world, I must say I was v. disappointed by the offering at this location and it is nowhere near the standard of other UK Mercure hotels I have stayed in. The hotel has an uncared feel and is shabby round the edges; indeed it feels like a lot of UK hotels used to feel - days I thought we'd left behind us. The TV picture was poor, the carpet in the room was worn in places, the bathroom had seen better days,

Tea and coffee were provided in the room, so I made myself a cup of coffee. I then thought a biscuit would be nice (usually provided in the room) seeing that there was nothing on the tray, I phoned down and asked if I could have a biscuit or two or a bar of chocolate, answer came back "No biscuit, only crisp" Nothing sweet? "No, only crisp."

At breakfast the next morning, they apologised that there was no hot buffet breakfast, only cold, but offered to cook anything I wanted. I asked for porridge, which took 15 minutes to be delivered, slow considering there were only two other people having breakfast. Honey to go with my porridge? Sorry, no honey. Butter for my toast? No, butter (only margarine). Judging by the guest manifest on the waitresses desk there very few people staying in the hotel and after a probably busy New Year,they had decided not to have many staff on or to re-order food supplies. Staffing levels were clearly low as I had to wait for one of the waiting staff to come out from the breakfast room to check me out.

Next time I'm in Brighton, I'll try somewhere else.

Dear Jones125,

I was disappointed to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. Please accept my apologies in the first instance.

I have noted all your comments and will be sharing them with the relevant department heads to ensure improvements..

Peter Nye

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Birthday weekend for my partner. The welcome gift was a bottle of Water and a small bar of chocolate, (not worth it). The breakfast was not replenished in time - DISSAPPOINTED and no reply to my complaint

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Lisa L,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay here at the Mercure Brighton Seafront, It is always a pleasure to receive feedback be it positive or negative.

I was disappointed to hear that you did not feel that there was value associated with your stay. I shall investigate as to what is the status of your complaint.

If i can be of further help please do not hesitate to contact me directly.