“Would not return”

Ranked #37 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Cheshunt, England, United Kingdom
“Would not return”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I would say this is an average hotel, but no better really then staying at a Travel Lodge, and I would have preferred that for the value for money, the hotel entrance looks dated and same with the room. the hotel is very close to the seafront and easily to get to everywhere.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jessica K
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Jessica K
Thank you for your review.
I’m sorry that based on your experience you wouldn’t come back although I do thank you for pointing out the positives in your mind of our location.
We do try to meet all guest expectations and I’m sorry that you were not able to bring your disappointments to our attention whilst in the Hotel.
Matthew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Korean first
Cirencester
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I booked the Mercure as a 'Top Secret Hotel' deal so paid about half the normal price for my room. Even so I think it was poor value for money. The bed was clean and comfortable but the room smelled a little fusty, the shower was only luke warm and there was no bottled water provided. it was a hot August day but sadly no air conditioning, although there was a plug-in fan in the wardrobe which I used. The public areas such as the lobby and bar also needed some refurbishment - the furniture felt a bit worn and old-hat. Breakfast was ok - but nothing special - typical serve-yourself buffet, but not very high quality. Breakfast didn't start until 8.30am on the Saturday by which time there were quite a few early risers like me pacing the lobby waiting for it to start. The small underground car park costs £15 and it's first come, first served - so don't count on getting a space. If I'd had to pay full price for my room - normally around £200 - I would have been appalled. As it is, I've stayed in some small boutique hotels in Brighton for around £80 a night and had a much better room and breakfast. On the positive side, most of the staff were very friendly and when I filled in a post-stay questionnaire, the manager responded to my negative comments straight away - so full marks for damage limitation!

Room Tip: Avoid one that opens onto the fire escape - you don't feel safe leaving the window open.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jane M
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.
I do try to respond to all feedback regardless of content personally and thank you for acknowledging my separate response!
I’m confident our ‘normal’ rates are competitive compared to similar midmarket hotels although I’m pleased that you were able to take advantage of one of the limited offers we participate in.
As you state breakfast usually starts from 8.30am at the weekend although we do offer room service for those needing to get away early.
Thank you once again for sharing your feedback and I hope that based on our actions you might consider coming back to see us again sometime in the future.
milton keynes
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed here early August for one night, 2 adults and 2 children. We arrived around 1.45 to the car park being full, but lucky for us someone come out as I was looking for some where else to park. But be aware there is very little parking and it is expensive to park in the NCP car park or street it's £25 for 24 hours.

Once in our room it was very large but no view we was facing some flats court yard so nothing to see but as we did get the room on a special offer I wasn't expecting a sea view. It was very warm with only one fan so asked for a another one which was brought to our room. But the room was comfortable and clean with everything we needed.

In our deal Dinner was included, this is where I feel the hotel lets it self down. There is not enough staff. Our dinner took over two hours, breakfast was the same. Not enough staff to keep up with the flow of people. No juice, no food everything was waiting to be filled up or brought out. Even when it was it was minimal not enough for the amount of people waiting. You can see the staff are working tirelessly but there just is not enough of them. We did complain and I must say the manager was fantastic he did compensate our unfortunate experiences and could not be more apologetic.

The hotel over all was nice, the staff were brill couldn't do enough for you but there are a few issues and I can see why people are upset on here especially if they paid £225 a night.

I would strongly suggest though if you do have any issues or there is something you are not happy with speak to the staff/manager as they really will try to rectify it and will go out of their way to resolve any problems you encounter. For this reason I would stay again if I got the same deal as I know if there was anything I wasn't happy with it would be dealt with instantly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear nettesteve1
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay and in particular for highlighting that we do our utmost to meet expectations and on the occasion we need to put things right we aim to do so as quickly as possible!
I have commented much before on parking and the lovely weather recently, however I was pleased we were able to supply an additional fan for you to make your stay more comfortable.
Thank you once again and we do hope to welcome you back in the future.
london
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I booked the mercure hotel through late rooms secret hotel, so didn't know where we were going until booking. We were visiting Brighton for pride weekend, therefore I was very pleased to secure the room so late in the year and for a reasonable price for this weekend!
The hotel was easy to find and my partner had already emailed to see if we could leave the car early as we were arriving hours before check-in, she was told if there were spaces this would be fine. On arrival the receptionist was very helpful and friendly,accommodating our every need and making the start of a great weekend even better.
When we finally got to our room, it was clean and the bed was very comfy(welcomed after a day partying!)as stated in other reviews it was warm but it is August and the fan cooled us down so no problems. Breakfast was good with a huge variety,we didn't eat the cooked breakfast but everything else was more than acceptable.
Check-out was as easy as check-in and the friendly receptionist just as happy and helpful(sorry we can't remember your name,but you were working early morning 3rd/4th and you deserve a mention!)
I'm not sure how much the negative reviewers paid but for our price we were more than happy with a city seafront hotel with great staff! Thankyou Mercure.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank LFC_SG
Dear kara722
Thank you for your most valued review of your recent stay with us.
I was delighted to read that you received our usual friendly and helpful welcome when you arrived which made a great start to your break and I also note your comment that check out was just as good. (I have tracked down the person on reception to extend individual thanks!)
It was also great to read that the fan helped cool you on what has been a longer than expected run of good weather.
Our breakfast does offer a large array of choice and I’m glad you enjoyed the continental selection.
Thank you once again and we hope to see you again soon.
lincoln
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We booked 2 hotel rooms 19th-21st of July. Arrived and parked with no stress although car park is very small, and I think we were lucky to get a space on a weekend. We arrived to check in and get changed after a 5 hour car journey, it would have been nice if the room was ready as it was after the check in time, but it was not ready.
The receptionist apologised and we were offered a round of drinks on the house in the bar while the rooms were being prepped.
We had drinks in the bar, and then went to check in again, there was about 5 people in front of us in the queue, and it took almost an hour for them to get round to us. When they did, they gave us the key cards for the 2 rooms, we went to put our bags in and one of the rooms they had given us was already occupied! there was a bra on the bed, someones laptop on the desk and things everywhere. We quickly left the room and went back down to see what the hell was going on. The receptionist apologised and said the other woman was new. This is no excuse really, I would hate to think of people going in my room, and for the poor people whose room it was, they were none the wiser. No kind of compensation was offered to us, just a rushed apology to get the queue down.
Everything else with the hotel was fairly average - no aircon on the hottest weekend we have had too.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Matthew-Huddart, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear prettyfeet123
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.
I was sorry to read of the frustrations experienced upon arrival although I was pleased to note that an apology was initially received as a result of the delay for your room.
If you would like to get in touch with me at the Hotel (061gm@jupiterhotels.co.uk) I will investigate the circumstances and offer you my personal apologies for your disappointments.
Matthew

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Just come back from a two night stay and was pretty impressed. At the time of booking I was taken back by the price but that was for all the hotels in Brighton not just this one, I do wonder if it puts people and families off now a days?
Anyhow back to the hotel... Reception staff were very nice and the bar man is by the far the friendliest and politest bar tender I have ever encountered. Breakfast was very nice apart from the bacon but we both like ours crispy and I am sure if we had been that bothered the staff would have made us some to our liking as I noticed they were very attentive to other guests needs.
The room was nice, it was hot but its a listed building and air con would be impossible, the only thing I could suggest is a plug socket nearer the bed to get the full impact of the fan. My only bug about the room was there was not any draws anywhere so small items needed to be placed on the desk and small items of clothing in the top of the wardrobe which us ladies do not like as we like to know our "smalls" are safe.
Over all - very nice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear hannah
Thank you for your review of the recent stay with us.
I was thrilled to read that you were ‘pretty impressed’ after spending two nights at the Hotel especially as you note that you were slightly cautious at the time of booking. Accommodation both at weekends and during the summer is at a premium and I’m confident that our prices are really competitive. Just like overseas holidays the off peak times represent even better value so if you can avoid the busy times even better!
Thank you for your kind words regarding the service received, particularly from the Bar. We’d have loved to have made your bacon crispy and it was also great to read that you observed the level of service delivered to other guests.
I do not your comments regarding one’s smalls – the rooms in the modern Mews are open plan and for those that prefer wardrobes and drawer space our other Classic Doubles might suit better!
Thank you once again for a most constructive review and we’d love to see you again soon.
Dover, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We really enjoyed our two night stay here while in Brighton for our son's graduation. The hotel is brilliantly placed on the seafront but a little way out from town centre. This is good as we have stayed in other hotels nearer the centre and these can be very noisy until the small hours with all the clubs and bars in the central area.

It was the middle of a heatwave while we were there which did highlight the lack of air conditioning but then again I don't have air conditioning at home.

The beautiful Victorian building does retain some original interiors - namely the the reception with the magnificent staircase and the ballroom where we had breakfast on the first morning.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Man_of_Kent2003
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent experience at the Hotel.
I was pleased that your visit for your Son’s graduation was a success and thank you for pointing out the positives of our location. Yes – we are a touch away from the City Centre but as you state there can be issues with the liveliness when you are a bit closer!
Thank you for your understanding regarding the temperature during the mini heat wave (lasting longer than most would have thought!).
It was also great that you were able to spot a number of the original features around the Hotel. The façade is largely original and you may have noticed the ‘NH’ inscriptions both on the balustrades and in the Ballroom which link back to the originally named ‘Norfolk Hotel’
Thank you once again and we hope you might be back to see us again sometime in the future.